OXace1
Depth_Valor

Should the cadets chose staff or should the SNSI, NSI decide

OXace1

Pro

The cadets would know each others strengths and weakness. so i do believe that they should decide who gets what position.
Now i'm not saying there shouldn't be training and criteria for each position but ultimately the cadets should chose. they have the inside knowledge of how each other will act when the adults or any one else is around, giving them that extra knowledge would help a better decision be made.
Depth_Valor

Con

I feel quite the contrary. Even though the cadets may know how the staff members act most of them will pick favorites. My side on the idea is that the NSI, SNSI, and then cadets in commanding positions such as team leaders should decide. The ordinary cadet should not.
OXace1

Pro

I'm not saying there should be a vote, let me clarify. the current staff members should decide who the next staff should be. They know there job and should have the knowledge and experience to know who can handle what. Now yes the SNSI and the NSI should step in if there are signs of favoritism. In that regards it at least keeps it somewhat fair.
Depth_Valor

Con

Cadets still should not choose the staff members. Maybe team commanders but other than that leave it to the staff to decide. Your syntax is making it seems as if your against the topic even though your pro. The staff does know the experience and who can fill the job.
OXace1

Pro

I apologize for not clarifying but my position is this, only the current staff members who are cadets, should be the ones to decide. You keep mentioning team commanders but they have to chose there own successors. So they have there own department to run.
Depth_Valor

Con

Yes but team commanders such as yourself. You're Orienteering team commander and an officer so you have a say so in the matter. The NSI and SNSI should have a say in it too because the cadets are in their classes so they know how they behave and their skills.
OXace1

Pro

I am actually two team commanders but i am CO first. Team commanders do not have a say outside there department. Usually team commanders are in those leadership positions to prepare them for additional leadership rolls. There skills are in trial if you want to talk about favoritism they would be technically choosing themselves for these positions.
Now i do see where you are coming from but the purpose of the SNSI and NSI is to guide and to mentor the cadets, for the most part NJROTC is to be a totally cadet based and run operation. Meaning that the SNSI and NSI are supposed to step in only when necessary, therefore they should have some say but not to where the current staff are no longer making the decision.
For example if there is a cadet who does not wear there uniform, disrespectful there failing classes, and they are considering them for an advancement to CO, XO or OPS or something along those lines, that is grounds for the instructors to step in and take action. But other than that there should not be the ones making the decision.
The way i see it the SNSI and NSI are there to keep the unit from falling into chaos and confusion and a few other things.(I'm not here to describe there whole job.)
In summary,
I may be a team commander but i am CO first. ( I'm double team commander due to experience and training, i went to leadership academy and am still setting up the teams.)
The team commanders are in training to achieve higher leadership positions.
The SNSI and NSI are there to prevent favoritism, not to run every thing. In other words they stand back until they need to step in.
Depth_Valor

Con

The NSI and SNSI may be there to guide, but they should also have a say in the decision. It may be up to the staff mostly but the NSI and SNSI should still have a say as to whether or not someone can be an officer. If you're a CO of a NJROTC I do not believe you should also be a team commander. You're the CO of a unit, correct? Then you understand the importance of the staff. The NSI and SNSI need to keep an eye out and help decide to make sure the right person is chosen for the job. If the NSI and SNSI help choose it could also prevent someone from being accused falsely of favoritism. Yes you may have a lot of leadership experience, but it is still possible to accidentally show favoritism.
OXace1

Pro

The SNSI and NSI my make alterations to the decision. To be promoted to an officer you must have there approval. Few exceptions apply, this being one of the few. They are not without any say in the matter of who gets what but they aren't allowed to make the choice themselves. The only thing I do not want is the power to be taken from senior staff. Now I also don't want them to have to much power.

In conclusion we in my eyes are both right. we both have equally correct statements and angles of a grey area. I thank you for staying serious through this debate.
Depth_Valor

Con

It is quite the grey area. I do understand your thoughts, and your ideas are pretty good. The NSI and SNSI should still have some say I believe though. They know the cadets, their strengths, weaknesses, and how well the could do in a position. They have the cadets in their class so they have lots of time to evaluate them and decide whether or not they are good for a position. I would like to thank you for a serious debate. Good job Ox!
Posted by Kc.Nycolle 3 years ago
Kc.Nycolle
I definitely think the cadets should be allowed to choose who they wish to be staff, within reason. I think that everyone should have a voice, then the votes should go to the senior staff, who get a say so, and then turn in the tally of the votes to the NSI and SNSI. At this point the instructors should get the final say so in their opinion on the voted cadets leadership, time management, and cadet abilities