Should the capital punishment be abolished everywhere?

The first round is acceptance along with your first argument.

I have researched immensely to propose my arguments and I will list some sources in the comments section later, all my facts are true and thought by many but the ultimate idea is my opinion. To create a solid argument I have researched on all aspects surrounding this topic, for example, religious views, political views and etc.

You may be surprised by the amount of religions that support the capital punishment, christianity 'eye for an eye is a tooth for a tooth', accepted in the qu'ran, mohammed used it in medina and 93% of islamic countries believe in it. The most ancient religion of the world, hinduism, supports it as India (country full of hindu's) supports it. Judaism uses the same quote as christianity. Buddhism, which is known to be one of the most peaceful religions ever also agrees with this law, 90% of Thailand is buddhist but still uses the death penalty.

It is undeniable that those who are executed cannot commit further crimes. Many people don't think that this is sufficient justification for taking human life, and argue that there are other ways to ensure the offenders do not re-offend, such as imprisonment for life without possibility of parole. Although there have been cases of persons escaping prison and killing again, these are extremely rare. But some people don't believe that life imprisonment without parole protects society adequately. The offender may no longer be a danger to the public but he remains a danger to prison staff and other inmates. Execution would remove that danger.

My beliefs say, the capital punishment should be existent in at least a few places. Life imprisonment fails to deter as much as death penalty, death penalty also provides closure. One criminal dead is one criminal less. The people that are against this always bring experimental data to the table comparing crime rates in places with capital punishment and without. But what they do not seem to understand is that the places where the capital punishment is in act will always have a higher crime rate because this punishment is normally put in place in areas that are low or have an increasing rate of murders or theft. The other part we should look at is that when a loved one dies it torments many people such as, victim's family , friends and just other common people whereas when a criminal dies not a lot of us feel that affected. Human life is a gift, i agree, but it is what you do with this life that goes on to define who and what you are and these people that die in the hands of the law are defined as criminals.

Hello! And thanks for starting this debate and actually researching this topic! It will allow for a great debate!

I will start by giving my argument, and in the next round, I want to do rebuttals.

But before my argument, I will supply a definition I believe we will both find appropriate to the topic!

Miscarriage of justice: "The failure of a judicial system or court in the administration of justice, esp. when an innocent person is convicted of a crime."

Now moving on the my arguments, they will be ordered alphabetically for organizations sake.

Contingency A: Miscarriages of justice occur much too often to be injecting people with toxins, while we assume they were guilty, simply because of some evidence, that may or may not have been botched in collection. "The wrongful execution of an innocent person is an injustice that can never be rectified. Since the reinstatement of the death penalty, 142 men and women have been released from Death Row nationally....some only minutes away from execution". This is not something to be taken lightly. Imagine you just woke up, one morning, starting eating breakfast with your family, and the police busts down your door. While your Miranda rights are being read to you, you are in a panic. Fast forward to when you are in court, and you are given a death sentence. But all this time, you know in your heart that you did no commit said crime. This is a terrible thing that happens quite frequently at least in America.

Contingency C: Since religion was brought into this debate, I would like to use it as well. Now let's use specific example from religious text, rather than just taking someone's word for it.

John 8:7, which reads, "When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."

Jesus condemned the death of a woman, accused of a crime. While the old testament most certainly allowed the death sentence, As Times Changed, So Did The Manner Of How Crimes Were To Be Dealt With.

Contingency B: The death sentence is applied at random. Since there is no official rule saying when an appropriate time would be for a judge to give the death sentence, there are a lot of unfair rulings. Someone who murdered 25 people would get the same punishment as someone who killed 1.

Contingency C: The death penalty is extremely expensive. An article said, "It costs far more to execute a person than to keep him or her in prison for life. A 2011 study found that California has spent more than $4 billion on capital punishment since it was reinstated in 1978 and that death penalty trials are 20 times more expensive than trials seeking a sentence of life in prison without possibility of parole. California currently spends $184 million on the death penalty each year and is on track to spend $1 billion in the next five years." There is no way a criminal can continue murdering an outside civilian if they are locked up for life.

Thank you, I am finished.

younglaw forfeited this round.

Finally, I would also like to point out that capital punishment evolves things like spankings. If we were to abolish discipline, then how would our kids ever grow up and know the difference between right and wrong?
Vote pro!
Posted by younglaw 2 years ago
So you are saying the capital punishment shouldn't be abolished...(because if you are then that means you should read through my debate again...i think it shouldn't aswell)
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
My view is that the sentence given should reflect the loss.If you give a man 10 years for murdering an innocent, then that is the value you put on that life.
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I'm giving it to Pro for forfeiture, but I think this debate had more potential.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture