inuyasha_freak
Xera

Should the death penalty be continued?

inuyasha_freak

Pro

People must be propely and fairly punished for their crimes. For example, if a forty year old murdered somebosy, then he or she should be hung. But if a child murdered someone, then the child should be flogged.
Xera

Con

"People must be propely and fairly punished for their crimes. For example, if a forty year old murdered somebosy, then he or she should be hung. But if a child murdered someone, then the child should be flogged."

I do not dispute that people should be properly and fairly punished for their crime. I submit that hanging and flogging are neither fair nor proper.

Let us take a look at what these words mean. (dictionary.com)
Fair:
1.free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice:
2.legitimately sought, pursued, done, given, etc.; proper under the rules

Proper:
1. adapted or appropriate to the purpose or circumstances; fit; suitable: the proper time to plant strawberries.
2. conforming to established standards of behavior or manners

So now what you are really saying is that, for murderers, the unbiased, honest, just, thing which is appropriate to the circumstances is hanging. I disagree.

Here is why:

1. It is not fair to hang someone for murdering another human being.

Hanging is not humane. While the intent is to make the rope at the right length to cause the neck to be broken and 'instant death' There remains those times when the rope is NOT the right length, allowing the prisoner to slowly strangle. Not a pretty sight. I found a site that describes this in detail, but it is VERY gruesome, and likely not appropriate for a young audience.

It is not fair to Flog a child:

First let us look at what flogging is:

Dictionary.com: 1.to beat with a whip, stick, etc., esp. as punishment

You are advocating beating a child with a whip for killing someone. While I may not be able to disagree with you on the idea that killing is bad, I do not believe that torture will fix the problem. Tis is not 'just.' It is torture.

Hanging is not proper:

Since to be proper an action must be 'appropriate to the purpose,' we must first determine what the purpose we attempting to achieve is. I would propose that what we want is for fewer innocent people to be killed. There is no reason to believe that hanging would be a greater way to get this done than a life time of imprisonment with hard labor. I know in my community there are many people in fact that would RATHER die that to work.

Flogging is not proper:

Kids that kill have typically been abused, harmed, and neglected http://www.youthandviolence.com.... The purpose of punishing these children is to get them to stop doing what they have been doing. Is it 'appropriate to the purpose' then, to continue with the harm and abuse that MADE these kids? No, it is not.

Ladies and Gentlemen: A vote for pro is a vote for torture and whippings, a vote for con is a vote for JUSTICE. Vote CON
inuyasha_freak

Pro

inuyasha_freak forfeited this round.
Xera

Con

As my opponant has forfeited, I extend my arguments. Also please IF if you come back for round 3, do not change the tone of the debate as the last round is to late to make a good case on either side of the issue.
inuyasha_freak

Pro

inuyasha_freak forfeited this round.
Xera

Con

Well, extend all of my arguments into the round and probably by the looks of it into the next as well.
inuyasha_freak

Pro

inuyasha_freak forfeited this round.
Xera

Con

forfeitures are fun. Extend all my arguments. Vote CON, it's logical. Finally I am at 100 characters.
Posted by Xera 8 years ago
Xera
While I am a proponent of hard physical labor for prisoners, I dislike the codicil of 'meaningless.' That does border on cruel and unusual. I think prisoners should be required to grown their own food (no reason those prisons can't have a farm around, and a few dozen pigs, and a few dozen cows/steers, chickens, etc. you get the idea, cut costs, give them work to do that is productive, utilize the land that is necessary to provide a 'buffer' between the prison and society.

I see no reason that they can not be used for the more mundane parts of constructing state offices (to avoid the whole Shawshank Redemption thing- only state buildings, schools, and roads) Why do we pay someone $15 an hour to stand in the sun holding a sign that says slow? The same job can be done, skillfully, with convicts. :D.

In our community, prisoners are used to mow the laws of government buildings, collect the garbage, and other annoying jobs that no one wants to do but cost the city tons of money to accomplish.
Posted by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
Life in prison witout chance of parol is a way better punishment. Who would rather die quickly, than be kept in a small damp celler for the rest of your life doing hard meaningless labor? Since that is almost everyone, I believe it is a better punishment for murders. I shall keep religeon out of it.
Posted by Xera 8 years ago
Xera
"I agree, except I think they should fight to the death as gladiators on PPV, and the money earned from sales will go to education."

Not sure I'm for the Arnold Schwarzenegger (Running Man) judicial system, but hey! at least you have SOME clue as to how to provide money for schools, which makes you better than about 80% of the politicians out there. :D
Posted by CiRrO 8 years ago
CiRrO
Oh and I agree with you totally about the death penalty.
Posted by CiRrO 8 years ago
CiRrO
Ah ok, interesting. So you are picking Obama because you hate McCain. However, I do see Obama as the quintessential politician. I favor McCain because Obama's economic plan is like Carter's, and look what that did to us back then. Anyway, cya around Xera.
Posted by brittwaller 8 years ago
brittwaller
haha Right on Xera. Especially the reform of the death penalty. I agree, except I think they should fight to the death as gladiators on PPV, and the money earned from sales will go to education. If they end up living too long, say, more than 3 fights, they be executed by the state anyway. It's a win-win the way I see it;)

Britt
Posted by Xera 8 years ago
Xera
LOL I support Obama because I HATE McCain more than him. :D I truly dislike most politicians. I view them as somewhat related to the biblical serpent- scaly skin wrapped around lies and false promises that lead straight to hell.

I would have prefered voting for Hillary, just because I view health care as a primary importance, greater than all the harm having her (and her husband) in the White House would have caused- otherwise, I hate her more than McCain.

I am PRO death penalty too. Not just that, but a death penalty with a maximum time for appeals as 2 years, with /hard/ labor on a daily basis for the duration of those two years (no reason he can't be earning the high cost of his keep), and let's do away with the last meal ok? Why give lobster to some @$$hole that goes around killing people. Give him oatmeal, hot dogs, hamburger helper, and ramen noodles.

I just don't ever refuse a challenge
Posted by CiRrO 8 years ago
CiRrO
Xera, if you are reading this, it says you support Obama, yet on the 3 major political broad topics, you seem to lean right. I.e. Economics, Social Issues, and National Security. Do you mind explaining? I do enjoy seeing why people support who they do.
Posted by RUNE_SCIMMY 8 years ago
RUNE_SCIMMY
no offense of course PRO it's just that u need more skill in debating if u want to get any votes
Posted by RUNE_SCIMMY 8 years ago
RUNE_SCIMMY
i reckon con is right! i think that all the arguements were properly researched and that its true! all of the stuff con says is 100% true( i researched it myself) i say the site thet con talked about the one with the hanging and con is right it is gruesome and i reckon i wouldent let my 10 yr old bro even think about reading it!! vote 4 con because it's 100% true all the stuff con said. + PRO didn't answer in round 3 or 4 so anyone who votes for PRO is such and idiot. great job Xera i want to see more of ur good debates soon
Vote Placed by GreyGeeses 8 years ago
GreyGeeses
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by ancottle 8 years ago
ancottle
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by appletreez 8 years ago
appletreez
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by Xera 8 years ago
Xera
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by RUNE_SCIMMY 8 years ago
RUNE_SCIMMY
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by Mattowander 8 years ago
Mattowander
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by Kandie_Kane 8 years ago
Kandie_Kane
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by supremecourt101 8 years ago
supremecourt101
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 8 years ago
liberalconservative
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by lorca 8 years ago
lorca
inuyasha_freakXeraTied