FourEyesOptic
genericperson

Should the death penalty still be used for criminal punishment?

FourEyesOptic has forfeited round #3.

FourEyesOptic

Pro

I would love to debate this strong and controversial topic. I am for the death penalty and I would love to have a respectable and formal debate about this topic. Thanks!
genericperson

Con

I accept your debate. I am negate the resolution that the death penalty should be used for criminal punishment. My first contention is that the death penalty has been proved to have little to no effect on crime rates. According to The Journal of Criminal Law, "88% of the leading criminologists say that the states with the death penalty do not have lower homicide rates than those without." Furthermore, according to a study by Brennan Center for Justice, "Much psychological and sociological research suggests that many criminal acts are crimes of passion or committed in a heated moment based only on immediate circumstances, and thus potential offenders may not consider or weigh longer-term possibilities of punishment and capture, including the possibility of capital punishment." Criminals do not think of consequences for their actions. This proves any further contention about capital punishment reducing crime rates invalid. This concludes my first contention.
FourEyesOptic

Pro

I want to thank you for choosing to debate with me. I am glad you're taking this in a formal way and I hope it stays this way throughout this debate. I am a firm believer in the saying, "an eye for an eye", and I think this applies in the judicial system. I only apply this opinion to murder cases only. I hope that it will be alright if I can use textual evidence from online sources. I encourage you to do the same. In an article posted by The New York Times,"The Vera Institute of Justice released a study in 2012 that found the aggregate cost of prisons in 2010 in the 40 states that participated was $39 billion. The annual average taxpayer cost in these states was $31,286 per inmate. New York State was the most expensive, with an average cost of $60,000 per prison inmate". This evidnce suggests that sentencing a prisoner to death will be less expensive than a life sentence. This concludes my argument this round.
genericperson

Con

My second contention is that the death penalty actually costs more than life sentences. Your statement about the cost for each inmate in jail is correct; however, the capital cases in court (which are payed by tax payers) are proven to be much more expensive than non-capital cases. According to the Columbus Dispatch, "Hearings are attended, at a minimum, by three assistant attorneys general, three attorneys for the inmate, the Lucasville prison warden, the director of the Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, counsel and other officials from the department, [the judge] and his two law clerks. These people all are paid by either the state or the federal government. Hearings can last from a few hours to multiple days." In addition, he mentions that "The cost likely is millions per case" and that death sentences are "a process that drains government resources." Furthermore, in a study by Ernest Goss (a Creighton University economics professor), he found that "the death penalty costs states with capital punishment an average of $23.2 million more per year than alternative sentences." This evidence clearly shows that capital cases cause the tax payers an astoundingly large sum of money compared to alternative cases. This concludes by second contention.
Posted by Johanna_silva 11 months ago
Johanna_silva
Con- that is a good argument