Kassidy1116
mrmccoy007

Should the death sentence be illegal?

Kassidy1116

Kassidy1116

Con

No, this should not be illegal. If you messed up, who wants you around? Our tax dollars are the dollars who keep the sorry SOB's alive and well in jail. I'd rather my tax dollars go toward getting them out of our misery.
mrmccoy007

Pro

This argument can be approached from multiple angles and for this debate I will focus on three areas; 1) Monetary cost, 2) morality and 3) effectiveness. I chose these three areas due to the way in which my opponent has framed his opinion. First, my opponent claims that his/her tax dollars should not have to pay for someone's mistake. However, this is a mute point because the death penalty is actually more expensive than putting someone in jail for life.
The second point I argue is that if we are the "moral" authority than perhaps we should value life more than the person who committed such an awful crime. Also, if there is a chance that we kill an innocent man, is that justified?
Lastly, I will argue that those who commit crimes punishable by death would do them regardless of the punishment. This is evident in the stats of such crimes in comparison to places where the death penalty is legal and where it is not. I will provide evidence and explanations as we debate.
Kassidy1116

Con

Kassidy1116 forfeited this round.
mrmccoy007

Pro

mrmccoy007 forfeited this round.
Kassidy1116

Con

Kassidy1116 forfeited this round.
mrmccoy007

Pro

mrmccoy007 forfeited this round.
Kassidy1116

Con

Kassidy1116 forfeited this round.
mrmccoy007

Pro

mrmccoy007 forfeited this round.
Posted by Druey 2 years ago
Druey
The problem with society is that it measures the magnitude of one's sin or crime. However, sin is sin and a crime is crime no matter how big or small it may seem. Just because somebody killed another human being does not give you the right to murder this person. It is like fighting fire with fire. Do you know what was going on in this person's mind? Have you lived this person's life? Probably no, so there is nothing that you could possibly say to justify the act of killing this man as a form of retaliation for the crime that he hath committed. Let's take the bombing of Dresden as an example, did it make the Germans surrender or even end the Second World War? It didn't because giving somebody a taste of their own medicine will only make matters worse and this is why the world is loosing it's humanity because it has lost its value in society. And think of it this way the person is already dead so who are you trying to satisfy by killing him also?
Posted by coolkid1231 2 years ago
coolkid1231
I think that, that p1ck3tt is correct would you, mrmccoy007, like to be put to death.
Posted by p1ck3tt 2 years ago
p1ck3tt
Everyone makes mistakes, so you're basically saying everyone should get the death penalty when they mess up in their lives.
Posted by Chefjas 2 years ago
Chefjas
First of all, many believe that no person or group of people (like a society) has the moral right to steal from another. Taking a life is theft, on a grand scale. For sake of argument, let's assume the person condemned to die was guilty. This person stole the life of another. Does it now become "moral" to take his life in return? I say not. If you steal my lunch money, am I morally justified in taking something from you the next day? If we accept the premise that theft is ALWAYS wrong, the answer is no. One violent a act does not make another morally equivalent.
Now let's suppose that the state, which sentenced this person to die has made a mistake. DNA evidence proves beyond a doubt that the prisoner on death row is innocent and only escaped death by hours. We know this happens. I argue it is NEVER worth risking the death of even one innocent person in order to get "justice" for the victim of a violent crime.
Another argument against the death penalty is that the only person who really has a say in the matter is no longer able to voice their opinion as they are dead. After all, the murderer did not steal from the state, but rather the victim. Who is to say that the victim would want their murderer executed?
And finally, execution is a much too mild form of punishment for most murderers. The criminal is "put to sleep". All of their pain is gone. Meanwhile, the victims families continue to suffer. I say life in prison w/o parole is a much harsher, and therefore appropriate, penalty for 1st degree murder.
Vote Placed by coolkid1231 2 years ago
coolkid1231
Kassidy1116mrmccoy007Tied
Reasons for voting decision: good job i think that it sould not be illegal