Rival
whenry14

Should the drinking age be lowered from 21 to a younger age?

Rival

Con

I don"t think the drinking age should be lowered because, if you look at accidents (DUI) they are higher among underage drinkers.
whenry14

Pro

While it is true that their are a lot of accidents among those in the 15-20 age bracket when it comes to vehicles, I do not think that alcohol is solely responsible for the accidents in this age bracket. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, http://www.iihs.org..., "Teen drivers have crash rates 3 times those of drivers 20 and older per mile driven. Immaturity leads to speeding and other risky habits, and inexperience means teen drivers often don't recognize or know how to respond to hazards." If what you said were true would it not also be the case that drivers at the age of 21-24 also have as high if not higher numbers regarding the amount of accidents as alcohol is more readily available? Further more I think that the drinking age should be lowered because of the freedoms that 18 year olds currently have. If you can sign up for the military and die for your country shouldn't you be allowed the liberty to drink? I also think that the reason young people tend to drink copious amounts of alcohol is strictly because its so heavily regulated and is taboo under the age of 21. This makes it desirable to have the unobtainable which leads to why it is so coveted.
Rival

Con

Alcohol being heavily regulated doesnt make it more desirable. Everyone knows the effects that alcohol has on a human body so why would it be so desirable when it is so harmful to ingest? It kills your brain cells, is bad for your liver, and not to mention to added affect of being drunk out in the open.
whenry14

Pro

Alcohol isn't necessarily bad for the human body though. While the other ingredients may be fattening or have lots of sugar alcohol itself can have some health benefits if drunk in moderation. http://www.mayoclinic.org... Alcohol isn't solely to blame for accidents outside, one assumes a risk binge drinking and that is ones own responsibility which people in the 18-20 year bracket have. Finally I think that alcohol being heavily regulated and that fact being popularized in the media brings a lot of attention to itself. It is similar to marketing methods for cigarettes.
Rival

Con

Sure, alcohol can have "health benefits" but how many young 18 year old's do you know that drink alcohol for health benefits? Drinking alcohol is more common for social events. I also disagree that alcohol is heavily regulated because it's not. There are laws and policies such as DUI's or Public Intoxication but anyone of legal drinking age is able to purchase as much of it as they please. There are no restrictions on how much alcohol someone could buy, thus, in theory they could drink as much as they please. This could potentially lead to irresponsible drinking or binge drinking. As far as your popularized media argument goes, I would have to say that it just makes it so much worse for this age brackett. Drinking is seen as the "cool thing to do" when you're out parting with your friends, getting drunk or wasted is seen as normal and acceptable behavior. If this is the social construct media creates for young adults, I believe that lowering the drinking age would subject even more young adults to harm their body with excessive drinking because it's seen as acceptable or "cool".
whenry14

Pro

It is true that in certain contexts that alcohol is not heavily regulated and isn't regulated in the same sense as Marijuna or cocaine but in some states it is regulated in the fact that it cannot be purchased on Sunday lowering the amount of potential alcoholic drinks purchased in a week. Smoking is something that is legal and is heavily popularized in the media and the act of smoking has gone down considerably. https://www.cdc.gov... How do you explain this and wouldn't this also be applicable to alcohol?
Rival

Con

I feel very strongly about not lowering the drinking age. Our life expectancy for future generations are increasing, and the age 18 to me, isn't an adult. It may have been considered an adult when our life expectancy was so much lower, but today, we live a lot longer. I don't think it's right to give young adults the right to drink alcohol, despite "health benefits" or legal military service, or because of regulation. At this age, 18 year old's are more immature, less experienced drivers, and are more likely to be influenced by media. We should let these kids mature before they are legally able to drink. To be quite frank, I don't even think 21 year olds are mature. So lowering the age even further seems terrifying. Also, I don't think that alcohol's lasting popularity cannot be correlated to smoking's deteriorating popularity because smoking on social media has a negative connotation and image. Drinking seems to be a social norm that's acceptable. Although the behaviors people act upon while under the influence can have a negative image, it's not always portrayed as bad like smoking is. The 18 year olds growing up today are heavily influenced by the media, so alcohol's coolness cannot be compared to cigarettes. Lastly, as I've stated before, why would we want to subject younger people to the negative impacts of alcohol? Majority of people who drink don't do it for health benefits, nor do they drink anything that is 100% alcohol. So, why don't we just let these kids grow up before we allow them to drink.
whenry14

Pro

I appreciate your closing remark, however I still stand behind my ideal that the drinking age should be lowered and maybe we might have to look at increasing the age of potential drivers to match it. I agree with the sentiment that drinking seems to be a social norm especially where I live in Colorado. 18 years of age to me seems like a good age to lower too as most if not all 18 year olds who enter college do so with the knowledge that they will drink and party. I also agree that many 18 year olds are not mature enough to understand the responsibility to drink, but you kind of refuted yourself by saying that 21 year olds are not much different. Do you think the age limit should be raised?