ForestMan777
LordGordonius

Should the drinking age be lowered to 18 again?

ForestMan777

Pro

I will be debating the first challenger on whether or not the drinking age should be lowered to 18 again. I am for the lowering and Con will be debating on why it should remain 21 or why it should be raised if that's how they feel. First round for accepting, second, third, and fourth for the arguments. Be thorough in your argument, and let's be civil during this. Thanks for viewing and thanks to my eventual challenger.
LordGordonius

Con

No. I believe the current age should stay as it is, because it is better to be safe than sorry. It is true that underage drinking is not entirely preventable; however, the law does encourage most people to stay away from alcohol. Another reason is that most people enter college starting at 18-19 years old and thus need to focus on their studies. If they are allowed to buy alcohol, they may abuse that privilege.
ForestMan777

Pro

Thanks again for accepting the debate and let's get this show on the road. I do genuinely believe that the drinking age, if not lowered federally, should be up to the states. To me though, it's a case of complete hypocrisy to argue that a young man can be sent to fight and die for his country at 18, but he cannot have a drink at that age. It's for that reason that the voting age is 18. In the time of Vietnam, a lot of folks were up in arms over the fact that a man was considered mature enough to fight at 18, but not vote until 21. It was this backlash that led to the voting age at 18, and they assigned the same principle to alcohol consumption. Not just fighting, a man/woman can get married at 18 without parent's approval, get tattoos and use tobacco (in most states) if they choose, they can own guns, so why can't they choose to drink if that's what they want? And onto your claim of "they might abuse that privilege", I can get in my car and run a lot of people over. So why don't we just raise the driving age because I can abuse that privilege? I can get a gun and shoot people, why not raise the gun ownership age because I can abuse that privilege? The point is that if you're an adult, you can do what you want and are you an adult at 18 or 21? I thank you again, Mr. Bruce Wayne, for your challenge and can't wait to see what you come back with.
LordGordonius

Con

My friend, thank you for replying. You have indeed put a lot of good points, some of which I can not argue against. However, let me ask you this: what is the harm in waiting three years to drink? In fact, it is better to start the drinking age at 21 because it has been scientifically proven that 21 is the age at which psychological development truly comes to an end. Before that, the mind is not entirely mature. The higher drinking age has prevented many casualties and has also done no harm to anyone. Back to you, Mr. Confederate States of America.
ForestMan777

Pro

Thank you again, good sir. To me, the reason I fight the drinking age being 21 so harshly is for this reason; "Are you or are you not an adult at age 18? Do you or do you not have all the rights and freedoms of any adult at 18 or don't you?" Now, I personally see no problem with waiting until you're 21 to start drinking if that's what you want, but I don't see the point in Uncle Sam holding a pistol to your head (figuratively) and saying that you won"t drink until 21. But if truth be told, maybe it would do some good to drop the nationwide uniform drinking age and let the individual states decide for themselves what ages they want. Because in all honesty, we have the highest drinking age of any first world country in the world (I'm aware certain countries have higher ages or have prohibition altogether, but they aren't exactly first world nations, though.), and still we have one of the highest DUI and youth drinking rates in the world. How can this be? My personal theory is that we idolize alcohol and intoxication in America through movies, popular music, and also we kinda paint alcohol as a "forbidden fruit" of sorts, then tell kids that 21 is the age that they can drink, and then we act surprised when they don't listen. Maybe if we tried to talk to kids and explain to them why drinking isn't that important, we may find lower youth drinking rates, and maybe the problem will be cut down. Thank you again, Master Bruce. Can't wait to see what you come back with.
LordGordonius

Con

LordGordonius forfeited this round.
ForestMan777

Pro

Not much more I can say since Master Bruce failed to enter his argument. Vote Pro! Thanks again for debating.
LordGordonius

Con

I apologize for my failure to respond. I was kicking butt in the streets of Gotham. However, I will congratulate you because I believe that you have indeed won this debate. Your reasoning was quite sound and you have solidly convinced me of the flaws in my own arguments, though I do believe some of my original points still stand. Thank you again for this challenging debate and good luck in the voting!
Posted by Slugs 1 year ago
Slugs
A nice debate with manners? I like this. I am Pro by the way. I was raised in a family that let kids have 1 (no more or less) glass of wine at dinner from age 8. We all have been to the army, and a lot of us have PHDs. We do well. But we are Italians. We only drink a glass on a holiday like Xmas.
Posted by LordGordonius 1 year ago
LordGordonius
Provideoman, have you ever been to America? As an American citizen, I can firmly tell you that we are as not as barbaric as stereotypes depict. In fact, America has made many great contributions to the world throughout history up until now. The fact that you think we are that rebellious means that you have not taken the time to learn about our culture. I appreciate you sharing your views on this debate.
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
I agree with provideoman123.
Posted by finley5 1 year ago
finley5
I believe the drinking age should be lowered to 18. If a person is considered adult enough to make huge life altering decisions like joining the military or getting married they should be able to make a much smaller decision. Children can start being responsible for some of their actions at 16 like driving a car or deciding to quit attending school. When one is technically considered an adult and can make independent decisions without their parents approval this should include all decisions. You only have to be 18 to buy cigarettes or attend r rated movies or buy mature games etc. These are similiar to being able to buy alcohol. Kids who are otherwise responsible and law abiding are often ready to be social drinkers, just like 21 year olds. If they get in trouble for underage drinking or having a fake ID to obtain alcohol they would get in alot of trouble that could affect their future. The obvious rules about drinking and driving still apply no matter what age they are. Colleges could still have a no drinking policy in their dorms no matter what age the drinking age is, just like no drugs.
Posted by provideoman123 1 year ago
provideoman123
Haha I laugh at Americans.

They have their drinking age set so high that their kids become undisciplined and rebellious just to drink alcohol. Then they join the army so they can shoot every other nation because they are not Americans. That is the American culture. I'm afraid you will have to lower your drinking age like the rest of the civilized world.