ferrimsc2015
lauziermsc2015

Should the drinking age be younger than 21?

ferrimsc2015

Con

The drinking age should stay where it is at age 21 because it becomes a hazard to public safety when adolescent teens begin abusing alcohol and engage in reckless activity, such as driving under the influence, and drinking to the point of passing out.
lauziermsc2015

Pro

At the age of 18 males are required by law to sign up for the draft. At the age of 18 if we are arrested, we are automatically tried as an adult. At the age of 18 we are allowed to vote in our public and local elections. But at the age of 18 we are unable to take a sip of alcohol. If 18 year old's have the right to all of these responsibilities, how is it right then to be unable to consume alcohol responsibly?
ferrimsc2015

Con

Although those statements are true, it is also true that individuals cannot do certain things until age 21 such as gambling, purchasing a handgun, and adopting a child. This is because it is known that these things take responsibility and maturity. Research has proven that many men do not fully mature until the age 23. Drinking also causes stunting to this crucial time of growth in the adolescent years.
lauziermsc2015

Pro

I do see where you are coming from, but as you said men do not fully mature until the age of 23 so then why is the drinking age lower than that number? The big issue is that the drinking age comes into play when college students are mixed between 18-24 year old's (approximately), no matter what the legal drinking age may be people are still going to drink. That is why, wouldn't it just make more sense to lower the age when the majority of college students begin to drink then or even younger?
ferrimsc2015

Con

That's a good point; however, the drinking age should stay at minimum 21 years old because it is often found that teenagers experience a heightened factor of peer pressure within this time frame of 13-19 years of age. This factor of peer pressure could heighten the risk of alcohol consumption in a dangerous and unwanted manner if the drinking age is lowered. This will only reinforce this problem within the younger age groups.
lauziermsc2015

Pro

lauziermsc2015 forfeited this round.
ferrimsc2015

Con

I think there would be problems if the age limit was changed to 18 because countries like Italy and Germany have been exposed to adolescent teens drinking for many years. in America, people back in the day weren't raised around drinking and partying, they were raised to work and support their families.
lauziermsc2015

Pro

I realize that America was founded on hard work and determination, but times have changed now. I think the drinking age should be reduced to 18 or even younger, because it will expose people to drinking at a younger age and help deal with alcohol abuse. If a person is able to be opened up to drinking at a younger age then they will be able to grow a tolerance towards it. The inevitable is that people under the age of 21 will drink no matter what the drinking age is reduced to.
ferrimsc2015

Con

I see the point you're making, but changing the law of the drinking age now will most likely create a sudden increase in reckless behavior from adolescent teens around the age 18 who are newly exposed to alcohol. The new "privilege" will encourage drinking to take place which will cause a large increase in safety issues. Since the US is a country where driving automobiles is common among teens and adults, this increases the risk of drinking and driving to occur in newer drivers on the road.
lauziermsc2015

Pro

I know what you mean, but by lowering the age now it will give our country time to adjust to this. And if we were to lower the age I do believe that less drunk driving incidents would happen because the percentage of people under the age of 18 drinking is very high. By doing this it would decrease the crime rate and allow our nation to adjust. By lowering the age by 3 years I really don't think this will greatly affect the nation.
Posted by BKL21996 1 year ago
BKL21996
I feel it should be said that a recent collection of studies showed a 98% trend that a higher drinking age results in a lower rate of traffic accidents. It would be irresponsible of us to lower the drinking age.
Posted by allenmsc2015 1 year ago
allenmsc2015
The drinking age should stay 21 because no matter what age people are legally allowed to drink, there will always be underage drinking. If it became 18, younger kids would be tempted to drink because they are closer to the legal age, which coukd cause harm to themselves and others.
Posted by lauziermsc2015 1 year ago
lauziermsc2015
I know what you mean, but by lowering the age now it will give our country time to adjust to this. And if we were to lower the age I do believe that less drunk driving incidents would happen because the percentage of people under the age of 18 drinking is very high. By doing this it would decrease the crime rate and allow our nation to adjust. By lowering the age by 3 years I really don't think this will greatly affect the nation. The point is that we would be bringing it down to an age where most people begin to drink any way. It just makes sense.
Posted by lucianimsc2015 1 year ago
lucianimsc2015
The legal age should stay 21; however, if one wishes to drink safely in their home then they should not be bothered for doing so. If they are not harming others then it should be a non-issue.
Posted by Bergeronjmsc2015 1 year ago
Bergeronjmsc2015
It should stay at 21 because it try to prevent teens and young adults from drinking and helps keep it to adults who would be more likely to gauge how much to drink.
Posted by IndianaFrank 1 year ago
IndianaFrank
Apparently the responders are very young compared to me... This is an old argument that started during the Vietnam war. Gosh we're old enough to die for our country but we cant drink a beer. Several states including the one I live in ( Indiana ) lowered the legal drinking age to 18 and it was a disaster. Many 18 year olds are still in high school and they supplied alcohol to there younger friends... The traffic accident rate went so high that they had to repeal the law and take it back to 21...
Posted by rdavis42242 1 year ago
rdavis42242
I think that if the age was younger it should be 15-16 to be honest.
Posted by Poe-vahkiin 1 year ago
Poe-vahkiin
When I lived in Germany, kids in their late teens and even guards on duty were allowed to drink beer, as they see it as a sort of soda. This caused the same amount if not less conflict than matured adults drinking.
Posted by americanmade23 1 year ago
americanmade23
the fact that most things are put to people at the age of 18 and that alcohol is not shows that things are viewed badly. if an 18 year old has all these other responsibilities then alcohol shouldn't be withheld from any 18 year old.
Posted by murphymmsc2015 1 year ago
murphymmsc2015
It was a really good point when you argued that many things that require responsibility and maturity are only allowed for 21 year olds.