Solomon_Grim
jh1234l

Should the education system be changed?

jh1234l

Solomon_Grim

Pro

Here is my opinion of how the education system should be set up.

Grades
I do not believe the grades should be set up by Ashe, but of intelligence. Who can say that someone of one age has the education possibilities of another the same age. I feel that it should be set up by intelligence and each person be moved up by credits. This would fix the problem of going to fast for some and to slow for others.

Homework
I believe that homework should be taken out of the schools. It tends to be busy work and not helpful. It should be up to the students how much they want to study.

Tests
The main grades should come from semi large tests throughout the year instead of a large one at the end of the years. Research shows that this is bad for learning and Harvard University has gotten rid of end of year exams.

My opponents job shall be to show me how this set up could fail.
jh1234l

Con

Thanks to my opponent for instigating. I look forward to an intelligent and fun debate.

I am going to counter pro’s 3 points:

Grades

However, grading based on intelligence has some major flaws:

The students who are in lower grades will get terrible emotional stress because they think they are “not intelligent”. This also makes the scores you get obvious to everyone else, making those in lower grades made fun of because they are “dumb”. Whereas using the current system, the only people who know your score are usually yourself, your teacher and your parents, eliminating this problem.

People who learn at a different pace can get help from their teacher while we keep the original grading system, eliminating both the bullying problem and the pace problem pro argued about.

Homework

Homework can help you in the long term by giving you extra practice. Pro claims that homework is not helpful, which is not the case.

Chinese students get lots of homework, about 2 hours a day[1] and they all scored higher than students in countries where children get less homework than them, such as Canada.[2]

Therefore, homework can be helpful.

Pro also claims that homework is busy. That is true, but is small compared to the academic benefits of homework.

Tests

Pro claims that “research shows that this is bad for learning”, but did not say where he got that information from, nor did he say how it is bad for learning. Until he goes more in detail on it I unfortunately cannot refute it. May I ask for clarification in the next round?

[1] http://blogs.cbn.com...

[2] http://www.digitaljournal.com...

Solomon_Grim

Pro

Thank you for accepting. I will waste no time.

Grades
The current grade set up is already setting people ahead of others in advanced placement and support classes. The current system makes it so many people is either ahead or behind. The idea of ranking people on grades and intelligence makes it so this won't happen. That means that everyone is educated to the best extent.

Homework
My rebuttal is that studying should be up to the student. If I have an A on all the tests, but fail because of homework , is that right. I obviously know the information, but failed cause I didn't do the studying part. Also, china has high grades due to the fact that only the best gets to go to school.

Tests
http://blog.sciencegeekgirl.com...
This would explain the final exam. It shows that trying to study everything in a short frame makes it bad for learning.
jh1234l

Con

Thanks for the response.

Grades

Pro did not respond to my arguments on bullying and emotional stress, but instead repeats his argument.

If we factor in the bullying and emotional stress I talked about last round, then grading on inteligence will actually reduce performance, because students will feel unsafe and stressed and therefore cannot focus on what the teacher is teaching.

I think we should keep the current grading system with slight changes: the ones who learn slow can get extra help, while fast learners can get extra work, removing the emotional stress, the bullying, and the learning pace problems.

Homework

Irrelevent. Not doing your work and then blaming it on the education system is not relevent to whether we should keep homework.

Your statement about how only the best in China go to school is also false. All the students learning in schools in China, plus pre-school children, accounts for one sixth of the total population of china.[1]
513 million people in China are aged 25 and below. [2]One sixth of the total 1.3 billion people [3] is nearly all of the 513 million.

Tests

Tests actually "help students learn by asking them to recall bits of information from their memories about a particular subject, thereby increasing the chances of students being able to remember this bit of information again and again. ", [4] , so the final exam might actally help.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2]http://www.china-profile.com...
[3]http://geography.about.com...
[4]http://blog.sciencegeekgirl.com...
Solomon_Grim

Pro

You give good points, but due to time constraints, I must forfeit. Education has never been my thing, so I do not know why I made this debate.
jh1234l

Con

No problem.
Solomon_Grim

Pro

Thank you for understanding my situation.
jh1234l

Con

Thank you too.
Vote Placed by dylancatlow 4 years ago
dylancatlow
Solomon_Grimjh1234lTied