Debater0000
Pest

Should the government ban fortune-telling businesses?

Debater0000 has forfeited round #2.

Debater0000

Con

Nowadays, there are many fortune-telling businesses, that operate for profit. Should they be banned? A friend of mine suggested to me that they should be banned, inspiring me to start this debate.
Even though I'm not the king of person who believes in fortune-telling, I still think that such businesses should be approved.
Restricting such businesses will lead to infringement of freedom of speech and deprivation of something to cling to for desperate or religious people.
Through fortune-telling seen in various places, we have come to accept the existence of various thoughts. This has been fundamental to the existence of democracy. Through seeing fortune-telling on TV or magazines, those people who don't even believe in them accustomed themselves to those weird thoughts. Rather than ignoring the existence of such views, they tend to acknowledge it and make fun of it. In this case, the fact that even those people who don't rely on fortune-telling know there are other people holding such beliefs is significant. Fortune-telling led to opening our minds.
Moreover, government should recognize the truth that some people do rely on fortune-telling. Banning fortune-telling businesses will lead to the loss of something they hold on to. Those people are inclined to regard fortune-telling as road maps that they should follow, just as religion is for most people. Deprivation of such will lead to severe consequences for such people.
For these two aspects, I don't think that government should ban fortune-telling businesses.
I am interested in hearing your opinions.
Pest

Pro

[Statement] Greetings, and interesting debate topic, my friend. I felt obligated to take you up on this but I cannot in good conscience continue without first stating my claim to belief; I really hope this is not in bad taste, but, I am obligated to tell you that I AM by profession, a 'fortune teller.' Therefore, would normally be on the other end of the debate and it is indeed of my own 'religious view.' Which is why I needed to mention that my argument does not reflect my actual feelings. But now that I've gotten that out of the way, I can now make the following arguments without afterward feeling like my soul is full of poop.

[My Argument] Fortune Telling businesses, Psychic Predictions, Tarot Cards, Palm Readings; First session free!

These are but only a few of the 'services' offered by these businesses and I say yes, indeed, this business should be banned.

First, I'm going to have to assume that on the topic of the government banning this business in a whole; we're talking about within the confines of the United States of America as the bullet points in the argument really try to nail the first-amendment/freedom of speech bit. Which admittedly; is a genuine argument and I'll give you that. However, I'd also have to argue the merits of what it is exactly that you are trying to defend in that statement.

Fortune telling businesses? Not in the least. Not only should the government do away with these types of businesses; but these businesses should even be considered harmful; even illegal and for that reason; the first amendment of the constitution would have absolutely no grounded reasoning for protecting these businesses.

Let me make this very clear to you.

Pyramid scams; do you believe the government should allow obvious schemes of this nature to operate?

If you pay a phone or internet provider for service, but they do not give you what is advertised; is it okay and should it be allowed to continue to perform business just because freedom of speech allows them to lie in their advertising? (Which it does not but they may initially get away with it only until it's been found out).

If you bought an 'extra large' t-shirt, but after getting home and trying it on you realized the tag was placed improperly and it's actually small; you'd want a refund, or an exchange at the very least, would you not? And if the company said no? That would be perfectly acceptable according to your point of view. Example? The store is owned by foreigners who are accustomed to sizing their items differently than we do here. So tough luck. Freedom of speech.

Point being; you failed to distinguish the very real difference between freedom of speech and a business capable of hurting people.

I'd agree that these folks who believe in more esoteric things should completely be allowed to do so and even practice these rights and rituals and schools of thought. However, this needs to be said;

It's not that black and white. I so happen to know for a fact that most people in the fortune telling business and various branches thereof do NOT personally believe (within the definitions of religious or spiritual faith) the practices that they claim to perform. Actually, most of the time the only ones who base any sort of actualized religious or spiritual foundation of belief around these occult rituals and magical thinking are those that pay upwards of $13 dollars A MINUTE to be lied to.

It goes without saying that we cannot accurately know to any degree whether or not those running these businesses are lying, but if that weren't not the case; why, pray; are these individuals not applying for a tax-free credit as other religious denominations would?

Yes, the modern Christian church passes an offering plate, but it does not charge for it's services. Within modern denominations from Christianity and all the way on down to Satanism; ritualized practices; no different than those things practiced within the house or tent of a fortune teller, in nature; are practiced. Communion is thought to save, praying lets you speak to supernatural entities and practitioners are thought to believe throughout the beliefs of these denominations that answers and salvation are offered.

Fact of the matter is; if the first amendment as per your major issue is going to defend these fortune telling businesses; they aren't allowed to rob people and if they want to keep operating in any type of manner, the owners of these establishments need to take a note from David Blaine or Chris Angels page and make sure of it that people know it's for entertainment purposes only. Like the warning label on a pack of cigarettes.

It's obviously logical though that the lines here are not clear and therefore it would be in the best interest of all victims involved that the government step in and wipe the slate clean so we can re-prioritize what is and is not acceptable.

Fortune telling businesses are dangerous; even deathly dangerous.

Those that visit these types of establishments are usually hoping for some type of answer or enlightenment. 4 times out of 10; (I've counted) these folks want to know how to get rich or if they should sell everything they own and quit their job and move their family halfway across the country because they get a hunch to go into business for themselves in California where state taxes and general living expenses are 10x higher than they are in Florida.

Do you know what it takes to ruin a life and break a loving family?

"You drew the Wheel of Fortune tarot card! Which means changes would benefit you and success is imminent."

Still think it's okay?

Try this one on for size; someone asks, "is my wife cheating on me?" (Relationship requests are asked 5 times out of 10).

"I predict......" (wait for it as I hover my hand over the crystal ball) "YES! And he's a black guy, his name is Tyrone."

And so he goes and kills himself. I mean; in a completely honest tone; I made the above statement jokingly but I would challenge you to research statistics on suicide rates due to damaging psychic readings and other practices of it's nature.

I would confidently point you to any number of references that show clear evidence in that even occult literature from antiquity admits that these practices are psychological in nature. The person interpreting a tarot card is no different than the ink blot test that would normally be performed under the supervision of a licensed therapist.

Psychiatric degrees take years of studying and education to obtain, and for good reason; because they hold the well-being of individuals who may not be sound of mind in the palm of their hands; which is why they know better to not read palms. The individual should be the one to interpret events; but in the hands of these fortune tellers and psychics; the interpreting is done for them or worse; left up to 'fate' to decide. Not only could this cost somebody a fortune where the individual would be better off spending the money on groceries for their children as the only reason they want to talk to a psychic in the first place is because they were experiencing money problems; but it could also cost people their lives. Fortune tellers are not psychologists; but because of the 'magical' emphasis put on these practices; they are allowed to operate as psychological life coaches without any proper degree or training at all. This is dangerous and should be stopped. Moreover; a majority of the time, these fortune tellers don't even know the history of the ritual practices they are performing, nor believe in them and in fact, the only thing they know how to do well; is lie.

Just as I can point out the flaws here; it does not save or protect those being affected. The only way we could change the paradigm within the confines of this country and system is for our government to step in and erase the problem while distinguishing the differences as I have.
Posted by Pest 7 months ago
Pest
Easy Peasy.
Posted by Jonbonbon 7 months ago
Jonbonbon
Premium coffee is essentially a scam. We pay way too much money for dirty water with caffeine in it. Is that an oversimplified way of looking at it? Probably just a regularly simplified way of looking at it. Frappachinos are mostly ice, but we pay more for those. But in pop culture, drinking over priced coffee is cool.

So its not actually a scam because people are paying the extra money for the image and recognition. It meets a need for some people. And I think they're dumb for believing that, but they do. I may also think people are dumb for believing that fortune tellers can give them anymore insight to their life than their friends could, but they do. Lots of money is made off of people spending money on things they don't need for dumb reasons. And that's okay. It's just people funding the things they find important. That's how market economics works.
Posted by sboss18 7 months ago
sboss18
@kwagga_la Those two things have nothing to do with each other.
Posted by kwagga_la 7 months ago
kwagga_la
If they should ban fortune telling does that include weather forecasting? :-)
Posted by sboss18 7 months ago
sboss18
@PowerPikachu, it's not "most likely" a scam, it is most definitely a scam, and has been proven as such on multiple occasions. That doesn't mean it should be considered an illegal practice, though. There are plenty of scam businesses out there that are still operating to this day.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 7 months ago
PowerPikachu21
Unless someone can prove the science behind fortune telling, it's most likely a scam. I think banning is an interesting resolution. (Like it's a scam, therefore we should ban it.)
Posted by sboss18 7 months ago
sboss18
It will be quite difficult to argue for the banning of such establishments. Change the resolution to something more reasonable like "Fortune telling is a scam." and I will accept.