SwedishLinx
ThatLezChick

Should the government control what we eat at schools?

SwedishLinx

Con

The government should not control what us as the youth of America and what we eat at schools. Michelle Abeam has taken things such as cookies, Gatorade, fruit snacks and chips from our schools. We shouldn't have the government telling us what we can and can not eat. We should be able to eat what we want and be in charge of how we take care of our bodies. We should be making our own decisions.
ThatLezChick

Pro

I am happy to take part in this debate I hope to persuade you and the voters that the government should control our schools lunches.

The fact is that America is obese. Everyone knows that. Kids will recognize Ronald McDonald better then George Washington. Daily Physical Activity is no longer a requirement in schools and we all know that a game of dodge ball every week is not keeping kids healthy. Cookies should be eaten in moderation they should be given at the end of each week or month. We all know that this is the healthiest food kids get. When they go home they fat fried chicken and McDonalds. Kids need healthy food to grow. They need it so that they don't die of heart disease at age 11. This food is nuriting them and it is good for them. Obviously they won't like it but this is for the best. School is about preparing kids for the future. They don't want to spend it in a motorized scooter or a hospital bed.

"Super sized me" is a good documentary and it will inform you on how much junk children are putting in their bodies.
SwedishLinx

Con

America is an obese country and I understand that but, we should be able to choose what we eat and how we take care of ourselves. I have seen "Supersize me" and I can agree with you that our youth are getting sick because they are not taking care of themselves. I agree that fried foods and fatty foods can cause lots of harm to our bodies. I have nothing against healthy eating but school lunches have gone downhill from where they were five years ago. The portions are getting smaller and the people I know and myself are not getting enough food. Healthier foods and physical activities should be a part of the younger generations and ourselves lives but, we also should be able to eat something unhealthy at least once a day. Science has proven that being too healthy can be bad for our health. You need carbohydrates, sugars and fats from foods.
ThatLezChick

Pro

I understand your points but we still need these healthy foods. Remember that this Is a cafeteria you can still bring your own food. The government still needs to control our food and portions. Though yes we do need a cookie once in a while but children get enough fatty foods at home. Sugars are important and they get those sugars at home. The government does not control what children eat in their own houses. We need sugars but we don't need them for every meal. The school lunches are balanced to give us food from the five food groups. So students should be in taking their carbohydrates. Fact is the school lunches are keeping us healthier. Healthier students is a healthier tomorrow. If you do not agree with the portion sizes then you can bring your own lunch. When the government takes action they are doing it for the greater good. Some kids want there fatty foods back. To much fatty foods is a lot more harmful then not enough.
SwedishLinx

Con

SwedishLinx forfeited this round.
ThatLezChick

Pro

Because my opponent has forfeited this round I would like to state my closing arguments.

America needs these healthy lunch programs. Students are becoming overweight and that is endangering the future of america without this it is certain that the obese stats will grow until or half our children will be obese if our children are dropping like flues due to heart disease America will be endanger. Keep our children happy and healthy and Pro on this debate.