Should the government end welfare in the US.

You are looking through life with a skewed world view (have you ever been out of the US?) and a chip on your shoulder. I started out homeless at 18 and yes there was welfare but no one told me! I did what I had to (not prostitution, I have dignity) and decided not to be a hindrance (asking ANY one for a hand out, I never have asked for a dime and I am in my 60's). We are not ruthless asking able bodied citizens to help themselves and in the process help our entire society. What is shameful is those who expect something (everything) for nothing. And oh, I put myself through college while working several jobs and never took a loan. I have been successful and have paid MY SHARE of taxes for those who either don't know how to work, are too lazy, can't think for themselves etc. Please adjust your negative attitude and the world will open up to you. I know it's hard to believe but it's true, surround yourself with hard working people, learn how to be a help and not extra baggage. You will be proud.

I am not looking at the world through a skewed view. It seems that, with your personal experience, you may be looking at the world through a skewed view. It is sad that you started out homeless at age 18. It is even more sad that no one helped you. I do not think that an 18 year old would be a hindrance in asking for help. Think of how much easier your life would have been.

First: My grandparents have worked and put into the "welfare" system (it came out of their checks as well as yours, my parents put into the "welfare" system, I put into the welfare system through my checks. I do not begrudge anyone that needs help that they get help. There are many people in this world that are not healthy (mentally or physically it does not matter), there are many people who have put into the system and have lost their jobs (is it not right that they are able to take the money out that they put in?), and there are many people who do not look like they are sick, but they are. I do not feel it is my right to judge whether a person is able bodied, lazy etc.

You say that they are able bodied, lazy and can't think for themselves. That is simply not true. In order to pass the rigorous tests to get on welfare, you cannot be able bodied or lazy. I would invite you to try to get on welfare as an able bodied person, You would not be accepted. With many people with your opinion, the cuts in welfare have been deep and only the most needy can get on welfare. I do not think that you have really looked into the welfare system. I don't believe you know the rules regarding being accepted. If you had you would not have the opinion that you have. It sounds as if you are repeating the old cliches concerning welfare. Cliches that have been passed around since welfare began.

Welfare is not a dirty word. It means looking out for the well being of those who cannot look out for their own well being. There should be some safety net in a country as rich as the United States. We should be thoughtful of people, who for one reason or another, cannot take care of themselves or their children. If we do not we will have people begging on the streets, being sick on the streets and dying on the streets. For where else would they go it they have no money, no home or no food or medical care.

We are a humane country. We have Christian values. Jesus said take care of the poor. No God would want a child to die because they are hungry when someone could feed them. It would only take a little of your taxes, my taxes and the rest of the country's taxes to take care of these people. I see no reason, in this wonderful country, to let someone go hungry, sleep in the streets or not have medical help. I would rather pay out taxes to take care of these people than step over them in the streets when they have no where else to go. It is hard to be proud when you are hungry. It is hard to work when you are hungry.

Most of all I do not think others should suffer in their lives because you chose to suffer in yours. That just sounds like you are trying to make someone else pay for your bad fortune.

countess forfeited this round.

I would like to introduce you to the history of government welfare. CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS FOUNDATION
Bill of Rights in Action

Summer 1998 (14:3)

BRIA 14:3 Home | How Welfare Began in the United States | Welfare to Work: The States Take Charge | "The Swedish Model": Welfare for Everyone

How Welfare Began in the United States

During the Great Depression of the 1930s, local and state governments as well as private charities were overwhelmed by needy families seeking food, clothing, and shelter. In 1935, welfare for poor children and other dependent persons became a federal government responsibility, which it remained for 60 years.

MINNEAPOLIS"Several hundred men and women in an unemployed demonstration today stormed a grocery store and meat market in the Gateway district, smashed plate glass windows and helped themselves to bacon and ham, fruit and canned goods.

"from the New York Times, February 26, 1931

Is our need not as great as it was in the 1930's? Didn't we go through a period of economic collapse for many American families? Those people who lost their jobs in the economic downturn most likely had been putting into the welfare system. The goal of the welfare system was to tax everyone as everyone had the same chance of needing welfare at one time or another in their life. So if your Grandfather, Grandmother, Parents always paid into the system and never took out the benefits, would it not be ok for the people who had fallen on hard times to withdraw from the system when they needed to? It is not an entitlement to withdraw money that you have put into through taxes. It is sensible. If you put money in the bank would you leave it there if you needed it? The Welfare money is there for you, me and any other American that needs it. It is a government bank account to help those in need. No matter what anyone else says the the contrary, that money has been put into the system in case we need it. To dismantle Welfare is to take away what may be the last option if you or your family falls into need for whatever reason that might be.

countess forfeited this round.

A welfare state is a concept of government in which the state plays a key role in the protection and promotion of the economic and social well-being of its citizens. It is based on the principles of equality of opportunity, equitable distribution of wealth, and public responsibility for those unable to avail themselves of the minimal provisions for a good life. The general term may cover a variety of forms of economic and social organization.[1] The sociologist T.H. Marshall identified the welfare state as a distinctive combination of democracy, welfare, and capitalism. Scholars have paid special attention to the historic paths by which Germany, Britain and other countries developed their welfare state.

We are not unique in a civilized world that we would want to take responsibility, to feel a duty to be a citizen of this country by paying forward the possibility of giving someone a decent start. We are unique at this time that we are becoming a throwback to what we are to satiate our own personal desires.

Almost all civilized forms of government have some form of welfare. We are a civilized world. We as a civilized race should be concerned about the well being of the citizens. One reason is purely ethical. In a place where there is so much wealth, there should not be children going hungry. People should not be sleeping in the street. We should have more pride as a educated public to ignore the fact that not everyone can be over 21, white and healthy, as my grandpa used to say, if you have been so fortunate to not be needing the essentials of life, you should be happy to help those less fortunate. The second reason is much more important, we have worked hard as a civilization to wipe out diseases that kill. If people cannot afford to get shots, those diseases will come back. They may morph into a disease that becomes unresponsive to therapy. You then may get a disease that will kill you or your family, because you did not want to help out those less fortunate.

There are rules that people used to follow. The Golden Rule. There but for the Grace of God goes I...

We as a people, a government and as families should have more feeling for our neighbors, family and friends than to let them go hungry. It is against God and it is against the morality of humanity to become the results of the Seven Deadly Sins. Ask yourself if you want to be greed, or gluttony, etc. I hope we can rethink the immoral way we are treating people and become the people we should be.
Vote Placed by Seeginomikata 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro complete forfeit. 7 point win for con.