Should the government have laws affecting morality?

John_Moses_Browning has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

Ground rules: 1) be respectful, I both expect to give and receive it, 2) for any statistics, give a link to a non biased source, 3) try to be objective of the situation, this is about politics as a whole, not for a small town, and 4) please do not invoke religion to prove your point, though I encourage you to use it as a reference point. I am exited to see your opening argument.

Firstly I think mortality laws should be enforced because the real bad people won't care if they go to prison, making them panic about being sentenced to death will make them think twice about disobeying the law. E.g a terrorist planning to do a attack on a building, such as the Big Ben. If a law is added of any planning / involvement, the terrorist will think twice and if he chooses to do so and gets caught, its one less terrorist.

By the way: I may not be on for the next round so please wait patiently

Punishing murder isn't morality, it's instinct. What I meant was, for moral debates such as abortion, gay marriage ect, should government even have a say? Is it out of their jurisdiction to enforce laws in regards to purely social matters? If the main debate over abortion is "this is a freedom vs this is wrong," should government even step in, let alone place laws regarding it. When I refer to this I refer to all governments federal and local.

Well the government, as you know is usually corrupt normally from money. So if the government did smarter things such as the U.S.A allow gay marriage. But their protection is definitely an instinct because what if a hacker says you know what, I'll hack the worlds computers demanding them huge amounts of money to get them back, steal nuke codes, I am definitely sure that is worth the death penalty. The government has wasted too much time and money on the little stuff, such as travelling for no reason, spending taxpayers money on their behalf and doing polls and censuses. Without laws there would be chaos, as without death penalties there would be money spent for space, food and water for these criminals. Guess what, what if the criminals escape, that means more time and money to find them.

Posted by GrimlyF 3 days ago
You cannot pass laws on morality because morality has only one rule.There are no "grey"areas to morality because you must ALWAYS do what is percieved as RIGHT in your society.
Posted by haleyrjones 5 days ago
The Pencil Industry is killing animals for their own advantage. They kidnap pigs and force them to work machines and conveyor belts. They don't give the pigs lunch breaks and force them to dress like mimes (full makeup included). Aside from these acts of extreme animal cruelty, they do not pay the pigs or provide proper swine care. This abuse needs to stop! Pigs are not mimes, they are human beings. For more information on this topic, please visit
Posted by snips123456 1 week ago
When will there be a new argument cause its been a day
Posted by dsjpk5 1 week ago
Only if you're against anarchy..
Posted by vi_spex 1 week ago
the law is based on facts, and morality is not simply known to people