TheLibertarian76
Rhodesia79

Should the government outlaw same-sex marriage

TheLibertarian76

TheLibertarian76

Con

I would like to challenge you to a debate

I see you don't think gay marriage should be legal. And you want small government.

Look, I believe in the bible, and it does tell me what is morally correct, but I don't believe the government has the right to put a gun against someone's head and regulate personal behavior. Regulating a persons behavior, IS big government. Do you believe that the government should have the right to interfere in people's lives?

Think of it this way. What if the government wanted to regulate your personal life, and outlaw you from marrying a women! What I advocate is just letting individuals do what they want. And you'll realize when I advocate this, I'm also defending your right to practice your religion, and not having the government interfere in it.

Also in the constitution, it does not say gay marriage should be illegal
And this is a free country. Isn't it?
Rhodesia79

Pro

Even though I use the phrase pray your gay away that doesn't mean I am against gay marriage because of religious reasons. I use that phrase because you can just pray your gay way so there's no need for there to be an issue in the first place. I'm opposed to gay marriage because it isn't marriage. If you looked up marriage you would see that it is a relationship between a man and a woman. The government should define it the same way as it is defined in the dictionary. I believe like you that America is a free country and should have a small government, so gay people should be allowed to practice their gayness because this is a free country and you should be able to do as you want. You said you want small government, not no government. What is this small government supposed to do? Regulate marriage? Yes. Marriage is defined as a relationship between a man and a woman. That's what it is. You can still live together, but marriage should be reserved for same sex couples. They can get a civil union if they need it for legal reasons. No one is putting a gun to their head because they can still be gay. You make it sound like the government forces them to be straight. You said that the government doesn't have the right to regulate personal behavior? Well like I said it's not illegal to be gay, so they government wouldn't be regulating your personal behavior of being gay. You also said the government shouldn't interfere in people's lives. They're not since you can be as gay as you want and you can still get married as it is defined. Plus you can go to a church and have a unofficial marriage, just the government won't recognize it. When you challenge that you are interfering with the government. All they do is not recognize your marriage if it's not marriage. Gays are always shouting for equal rights. They have equal rights. If they want to get married they can just like everybody else.
TheLibertarian76

Con

mar"riage [mar-ij] Show IPA
noun. http://dictionary.reference.com...
1.
(broadly) any of the diverse forms of interpersonal union established in various parts of the world to form a familial bond that is recognized legally, religiously, or socially, granting the participating partners mutual conjugal rights and responsibilities and including, for example, opposite-sex marriage, same-sex marriage, plural marriage, and arranged marriage:, Anthropologists say that some type of marriage has been found in every known human society since ancient times. See word Story at the current entry.

I see no reason why the government should not recognize gay marriage. The Government not recognizing gay marriage is basically because of religion. Look I am a messianic Jew (Jewish with Christian beliefs) and I do know what is morally wrong, but the government shouldn't deny to recognize a relationship on the basis of religious grounds. Separation of Chruch and state. And also as you see above, this dictionary does think marriage could be same-sex , or man and women. Here let me show you another dictionary

marriage [marR42;ij]
Use marriage in a sentence. http://www.yourdictionary.com...

noun
The definition of marriage is the religious or legal process through which people become husband and wife, husband and husband or wife and wife, or the state of being married.
An example of marriage is the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.

YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright " 2014 by LoveToKnow Corp

I think not recognizing it, maybe could even be an example of discrimination.
Rhodesia79

Pro

As I said I do not believe gay marriage should be banned just because the Bible says so. The Bible does however hold many wise instructions and should be held in high regard while creating laws. Like I said before gay marriage is not marriage because marriage is between a man and a woman, so therefore gay marriage is not marriage. Gay couples can still do all the stuff normal couples can accept marriage because the definition of marriage is a a relationship between a man and a woman. Now I know you found some definitions of marriage on some online dictionary sites, but those sites are not official and have their own definitions according to their writers own beliefs. What if a Christian wrote theIr own dictionary and put in all Christian approved definitions? Would you use that dictionary? I went and took Webster's II New Riverside University Dictionary off my shelf and looked marriage up since it was an official source, and it read:
1. a. The state of being married:WEDLOCK b. Legal union of a man and a woman as husband and wife. 2. The act of marrying or ceremony of being married. 3. Close union 4. The combination of king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.

If you want a source to this I snapped a picture of it and have put it in by profile photos. Here is a link:
http://www.debate.org...
TheLibertarian76

Con

Well I actually have to give this to my opponent. Honestly I didn't know that this was his stance on the issue, and the partially contributed to my probable loss. He has provided sufficient evidence, and even with my best tries to win my first debate this one goes to pro.
Rhodesia79

Pro

Well you heard it from the man. I guess I win. Thank you for inviting me to this debate it was very interesting. I have a feeling that you're going to get the most votes since you hold the pro-gay stance even though you pretty much gave up. Besides this issue I have a feeling you and me are going to be good allies. Hmm this gun debate you are in looks interesting. Maybe I'll take a look.

Rhodesia79
Posted by patrick967 2 years ago
patrick967
Pro's opening lines in round 2 are biased and weak, in my opinion.
Posted by TheLibertarian76 2 years ago
TheLibertarian76
I still think the government should recognize gay couples though. There was something I just came up with which I could of used as a comeback, but I already posted something so, oh well.
Posted by Rhodesia79 2 years ago
Rhodesia79
Thank you all for your compliments.
Posted by YaHey 2 years ago
YaHey
I really think pro should win if they hadn't admitted defeat. Really, this is more deserving than of a tie, since neither party really deserves the win.
Posted by Jelera 2 years ago
Jelera
Um, "pray your gay away?" Do you really believe a person can pray the gay away? That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. And marriage isn't just between a man and a woman. As YaHey points out, the definition extends beyond that.
Posted by YaHey 2 years ago
YaHey
I looked up marriage on Merriam-Webster dictionary and got this:
mar"riage noun \G2;mer-ij, G2;ma-rij: the relationship that exists between a husband and a wife

: a similar relationship between people of the same sex

: a ceremony in which two people are married to each other

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Vote Placed by YaHey 2 years ago
YaHey
TheLibertarian76Rhodesia79Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con shouldnt have forfeited, and one the argument besides. Pro gave a faulty source, as that isn't the definition of marriage.
Vote Placed by SGM_iz_SekC 2 years ago
SGM_iz_SekC
TheLibertarian76Rhodesia79Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments were all opinionated. Pro also used 'accept' instead of 'except'.
Vote Placed by TruthHurts 2 years ago
TruthHurts
TheLibertarian76Rhodesia79Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession results in Pro win. However, I don't understand why Con just gave in when presented with an alternate definition. One definition is not universal truth.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
TheLibertarian76Rhodesia79Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession. But why should one dictionary's definition trump another's and decide policy?