Debater129
DJ26

Should the government place a tax on junk food?

Started: 3/30/2015 Category: Economics

Debater129

Pro

I think that there should be a tax on junk food because it could change what people would normally buy because it cost less. If people buy healthier foods, it could cause a severe drop in obesity.
DJ26

Con

I believe that there should not be a tax on junk food because, although it might add motivation to loose weight and eat healthier, it should be a person's choice whether or not to eat healthy. We should be promoting healthier lifestyles, yes, I agree wholeheartedly with that but I don't think that throwing extra charge onto items is the right way to do it. Rather than having money make up people's mind on whether or not to eat right, let them decide. If they choose to eat poorly a lot, then they have made a bad choice, but the important thing is that is was their choice. It wasn't decided by the government, the school, or even their wallets. It was decided by them, and in my opinion that is correct thing. Life is filled with mistakes and bad choices, but mistakes and bad choices is how we learn.
Debater129

Pro

Debater129 forfeited this round.
DJ26

Con

DJ26 forfeited this round.
Debater129

Pro

Debater129 forfeited this round.
DJ26

Con

DJ26 forfeited this round.
Posted by AlternativeDavid 2 years ago
AlternativeDavid
A better debate would be "Resolved: The government should artificially lower prices of healthy food". The cost of healthy food is why so many people choose to eat junk food.
Posted by LaughItUpLydia 2 years ago
LaughItUpLydia
No, but they should lower the prices of healthy foods.