Aries_Babeey
Ayyuba

Should the government provide financial assistance to teenage mothers?

Started: 5/24/2014 Category: Economics

Aries_Babeey

Con

Observe countries like USA and South Africa,ever wonder why the birth rate is so high,and majority of these pregnancies are by teens? its because they know that once they fall pregnant the government would be there to support them,now some of these girls take advantage of the system....deliberately have children so they would not have to struggle so much when it comes to money,not that they'd actually use this money for their children,but for their own selfish needs..like maybe drugs or alcohol?
Ayyuba

Pro

I'll take it. First, let's go over my opponant's statement, and then I was add my own. "Observe countries like USA and South Africa,ever wonder why the birth rate is so high,and majority of these pregnancies are by teens? its because they know that once they fall pregnant the government would be there to support them,now some of these girls take advantage of the system....deliberately have children so they would not have to struggle so much when it comes to money,not that they'd actually use this money for their children,but for their own selfish needs..like maybe drugs or alcohol?" Is my opponants statement. I find it unfair and illogical to assume that all teen moms do so for the money. Most teen moms made a mistake and conceived and choose to keep the baby. I am not denying that some moms are in it for the money. My point is that not all are. As to the subject matter of this debate: I think that federal or state assistance should be provided to moms, but only if they need it. Im not supporting a free for all.
Aries_Babeey

Con

Aries_Babeey forfeited this round.
Ayyuba

Pro

Ayyuba forfeited this round.
Aries_Babeey

Con

Aries_Babeey forfeited this round.
Ayyuba

Pro

Ayyuba forfeited this round.
Posted by CreditedThinker 3 years ago
CreditedThinker
I personally agree with Pro's statement. I think it's unjustifiable to think that teenage women deliberately get pregnant to take advantage of the government's system to provide financial aid for them, and this statement (Con's statement) is running on probability. I do admit, (just like Pro said) that they could do it, but it's more likely that they "made a mistake and conceived and choose to keep the baby". My point being, there are more teenage mother's that are being benefited by the financial assistance then there are "taking advantage" of the system. And even if there are people who abuse the system, the government can view individual cases and see if they are eligible and rationalize if they even need it, thus making the possibility for young mothers to take advantage of the financial aid, a rare occurrence.
Posted by DerKing 3 years ago
DerKing
Normally I do not help out either debater, however Con's statement about birth rates is completely false. Developed countries like the United States and South Africa have much lower birth rates then most of Africa and Asia. The more educated the populous, the less babies generally. Also, the US's average age for mothers is around 29, and rising. The government does not really provide them with much help, either, there is no support specifically for teen mothers.