SouthernRepublican
hayleybae

Should the grading system be abolished?

SouthernRepublican

Con

No, grades should not be abolished. Grades should be motivation for kids to strive to do well. If there were no grades then kids would have no standards to go from. testing knowledge and problem solving abilities are important aspects of learning. You can"t test yourself without a result. Success or failure is how you grow. Grades let us know what our strengths and weaknesses are. If we did not have grades then we would be oblivious to what we know.
hayleybae

Pro

I'm still in school and it gives me anxiety looking at my grades and straining to keep my grades up. I think it puts kids down. When you think about it grades are almost like saying " hey this is how smart you are" when no that is not the truth at all. you never know the kid might just be bad at taking test. so getting rid of the grading system would allow kids to relax more and maybe do better and be able to focus and grasp the concepts more.
SouthernRepublican

Con

SouthernRepublican forfeited this round.
hayleybae

Pro

Yes, Grades SHOULD be a motivation, but currently, they seldom are. Most kids look at their grades and are unencouraged, and dissapointed.
For me, grades don't show where I'm struggling. They just show me how good or how poorly I did on a certain assignment. One could argue that that is exactly the thing that shows how well you're doing in that area, but more detail on the matter would benefit me even more, not just a number.
SouthernRepublican

Con

hayleybae

Pro

hayleybae forfeited this round.
Posted by BraidMyPubes 1 year ago
BraidMyPubes
Grades should be abolished, but another system of scoring or ranking should replace it. Instead of having a numerical value for how well one does on subjects, students should compete with each other on the learned material, and the results of such competition should determine the success of a student. Should a particularly bright student have perfect scores throughout school, one may say that the student is smart. However, such students would be actually confined in a box that limits their potential. By having competition among students, one can see how well one measure up against other students, and thus, students would naturally compete in an environment where they are matched up against their intellectual peers. Similarly, students who struggle in subjects would not have to feel the pressure of competing with brighter or more apt students and instead learn at a pace suitable for them, and compete with their own intellectual peers. Children who score low on everything should be executed as they are a waste of resources.
Posted by KyronTheWise 1 year ago
KyronTheWise
Hmmm...I myself would have to argue for a retooling of the system, similar to what I believe Zac is saying. As it is, grades are not good motivational tools for learning (You know, the purpose school SHOULD be serving). As it is, they are primarily used as a judgement for college, rather than as an indicator for a student struggling with a specific topic. Unfortunately, there is no easy fix. Even if a student gets poor marks on a certain section in a class, let's say World History, the teacher cannot justify holding back the rest of the class in order to properly get the material across to the stragglers, again, because grades are used as a benchmark for college (Students are expected to learn a specific amount of material in a very narrow timeframe, and there's not really enough extra time for stragglers to catch up).

To boil my thoughts down, I would say that the CURRENT system of grading should be abolished. However, that is not to say we should abolish the very idea of grading. Understanding where a student is in their own comprehension of the topic is critical if they are to ever be taught more advanced topics. However, at the same time, using the current system, at least, the American system (cannot speak on the education system in other countries, as I do not have a satisfactory understanding of them), the grades aren't fulfilling the purpose they should be, and are in need of an overhaul.

TL;DR- What Zac said.
Posted by ZacGraphics 1 year ago
ZacGraphics

The grading system will stay, until a better system is discovered. It's just how things work.