Should the law on sexual assault be changed?

I think they should be changed because what about the people that don't get charged the victim gets no releaf

The current laws on sexual assault should not be changed. The term sexual assault generally means unwanted sexual contact without consent. The term sexual assault is used as an umbrella though and a variety of different crimes accompany it: Sexual assault can be verbal, visual, or anything that forces you to join in unwanted sexual contact or attention. Examples of this are voyeurism (when someone watches private sexual acts), exhibitionism (when someone exposes him/herself in public), incest (sexual contact between family members), and sexual harassment ( Now, when it comes to the legal definition of sexual assault, the definition usually varies by state.

I live in Missouri.

As mentioned earlier, people generally tend to think of sexual assault as forcible rape or attempted forcible rape.

Under Title XXXVIII. Crimes and Punishments; Peace Officers and Public Defenders, 566.030., it states that forcible rape or an attempt to commit forcible rape is a felony for which the authorized term of imprisonment is life imprisonment or a term of years not less than five years, unless:

In the course thereof the actor inflicts serious physical injury, in which case the authorized term of imprisonment is life imprisonment or a term of years not less than fifteen years.

Now, to respond to you claim about them needing to be changed because someone doesn't get charged:
The law believes someone is innocent until proven guilty.
If the victim wants relief, then they need to be the one to press charges.
If they do not press charges, there is not any issue concerning the law.

I was sexually assaulted by my biological father when I was little and the police only arrest 10% out of a hundred people for it and only 3 people out of 100 that have sexually assaulted someone will go to prison for any time at all if a child is sexually assaulted they should do something more about it children can't really do anything and it can really mes people up no matter what ate and then when the people that hurt them walk away freely it is hardest on them because they tried to stop it and now that person can hurt them again or someone else

Do you have the sources where you get this data from?
In a debate, it is better to show some source or citation if you are going to start using statistics.

Also, I would like you to at least check your spelling before you post something... It is a little bit hard for me to read your response because you do not use correct capitalization, punctuation and you have spelling errors.

Now, in the case of children who are sexually assaulted, I think you should have made more of a specification when you were making the topic.
Maybe some children are too afraid to report a case of sexual assault, especially if it happened to be a parent who assaulted them, but there are other ways to bring these kind of situations to the attention of the authorities. According to,
all 50 states require that professionals who work with children report reasonable suspicions of child abuse. Some states require that anyone with suspicions report it.
Professionals, the like child's teacher or nurse have to go through special training to teach them what kind of reporting requirements they must follow.
Plus, I am not sure how you are proposing they change the laws. There is not much the authorities if they no nothing about it. The police or child protective services are not going to start bugging peoples' homes and spying just to try to catch people in the act of committing sexual assault.
As far as I am concerned, the punishments they have for the different sexual assault crimes are just.

They don't care about the people who have to go through it they will let cases sit for up to a year or longer and take no action against it. In that time the person can be hurt muiltpule more times and others can also be hurt

You keep stating facts, but you give no evidence.
Who are they that you are talking about?
I don't think that authorities do not care at all.

Also, trials take a long time... this goes for any trial.
According to, one reports the sexual assault to the law enforcement, the law enforcement does an investigation, the district attorney will then charge the defendant, a pre-trial proceeding will occur, then the trial, and then the sentencing.

Of course, with all of the formalities of reporting a case to the authorities and the process, it is going to take time.
The authorities also have other cases to deal with which also take a long time, other than sexual assault cases.

That is all I have to say.

Just some helpful advice. Even on round three, I noticed you had some spelling errors. I don't know why you cannot use spell check at the very least.

I think you should also work on how you argue your stance. You state a lot of facts but do not give any source. How am I suppose to know the statistics you are stating are the truth or not.

Plus, I do not know why you put the fact that you were assaulted when you don't talk about anything after that. You just start stating a bunch of random percentages.

I have also had things done to me, but I am not using my personal experience to persuade people to side with me. I know it is a horrible traumatic experience because I also went through it, but I think since this is a debate website, it makes more sense to make more intellectual arguments.
Vote Placed by STALIN 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gave no evidence while Con gave many facts. Pro talked about examples from his life, however he provides no real facts or details to support his position.