SkySky16
rohanprabhu03

Should the legal drinking age be lowered?

rohanprabhu03 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

SkySky16

Pro

First round will be acceptance.
Second round, opening statements.
3 & 4 rounds, rebuttals.
5th round, closing arguments and statements.

I look forward to an educational discussion.
rohanprabhu03

Con

No. The drinking age should not be lowered. This is my first debate and I look forward to a healthy discussion.
SkySky16

Pro

I will be outlining my main arguments in this round.

My first argument is that it will lower alcohol abuse by teaching in controlled environments, such as restaurants, bars, and official school/university functions, how to drink responsibly. This would be a supervised series of situations. Besides, drinking before 21 years of age without a doubt happens, and is a regular part of the average college student regardless of age. Unfortunately, this drinking is often self destructive and incredibly irresponsible for the fact that it gives the notion of "the forbidden fruit" which instills a feeling of rebellion on underage drinking. Prohibition back in the 1920's addressed the same problem of irresponsible drinking, we are repeating past failures now with a focus on young adults. Revisiting the rebellion notion, we see that it causes what is called "binge" drinking. People under the age of 21, especially college students, are more likely to be binge drinkers. "For example, 22% of all students under 21 compared to 18% over 21 years of age are heavy drinkers. Among drinkers only, 32% of under age compared to 24% of legal age are heavy drinkers." The statistics alone prove that it is ineffective in its prevention of underage drinking and irresponsible behaviors, but also that it causes exactly what it is trying to stop.

My second argument is an advantageous/moral argument. It appeals to logic. 18 years of age is considered the mark of adulthood in the United States, you can go to war, participate in the lottery, purchase tobacco cigarettes, vote for elected offices, get married, sign a lease, and many, many more. Why should alcohol be kept from this? There are also many advantages to it as well. As expressed with the last argument, less destructive behaviors. This also means less accidents that happen with the driver under the influence. It is also not outlined in the constitution for the government to control such substances, and therefore, by the tenth amendment, should at least be left to the states. We are supposed to have freedom to what we want as long as it doesn't infringe on other's freedom(s). Drinking does not inherently do this.

Long story short, I can murder people with the most advance technologies overseas and suffer many mental impacts from it but I can't enjoy some suds with friends at the local bar. Seems ridiculous to me.

"Forbidden Fruit" argument source:
http://www.indiana.edu...

Advantageous/Moral argument sources:
Choose Responsibility, "FAQs," chooseresponsibility.org

Thomas S. Dee and William N. Evans, "Behavioral Policies and Teen Traffic Safety," American Economic Review, May 2001

Peter Asch and David T. Levy, "Young Driver Fatalities: The Roles of Drinking Age and Drinking Experience," Southern Economic Journal, Oct. 1990

"Alcohol Impaired Driving," National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, nhtsa.gov, 2009

Barry M. Sweedler, "The Worldwide Decline in Drinking and Driving: Has It Continued?," Presentation for the 15th International Conference on Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety in Stockholm (Sweden), ntsb.gov, May 2000

Jeffrey A. Miron and Elina Tetelbaum, "The Dangers of the Drinking Age," Forbes, Apr. 15, 2009