kat-man13
paintballvet18

Should the media be held responsible for what they say?

kat-man13 has forfeited round #2.

kat-man13

Pro

Yes, the media has taken this election cycle way to personal and it shows. I am not sure they are aware of how much damage they are causing to the country by continuing this divide. Fake News is now the norm. The news channels are making retractions every week now. "Just print it and we will fact check it later." seems to be okay, enough is enough! The integrity of hard news reporter has given away to tabloid trash. A press license should be required. Fines should be levied against news outlet that break a story without factual evidence to back the report. If multiple violation occurred then their credentials should be suspended or revoked.
paintballvet18

Con

First, let's preface this argument with the obvious:

I negate that the media be held responsible for what they say.

Second, let's continue the preface with the obvious: my opponent provides no factual evidence that shows exactly why the new media should be held accountable, what they should be held accountable for, or even how they would be held accountable.

Fact of the matter is, his entire case is speculatory at best.

Let me list a few of the most important news stories in history:
1. John F. Kennedy assassination (1963) TV anchors (particularly Walter Cronkite) provide solace and real-time reporting when the nation needs it most. After four days of continuous coverage from Dallas, where JFK was killed, and Arlington, where he was laid to rest, TV Guide Magazine declares, "The medium gained a new sense of what it could do."
2. Moon landing (1969) The journey of Apollo 11 and the lunar touchdown of astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin deliver the greatest TV show ever back on Earth, where an estimated audience of more than 700 million marvel at the astounding images.
3. September 11 attacks (2001) The horrific footage of two hijacked Boeing 767s colliding into the World Trade Center will forever remind us of America's darkest day. TV reporters help steady shaken viewers during the continuous coverage, but off camera they are weeping too.
4. President Nixon's resignation (1974) From the final Oval Office address to the awkward victory signs flashed from the helicopter on the White House lawn, Richard Nixon's downfall due to the Watergate scandal becomes riveting TV drama.
5. Gulf War (1991) The from-behind-enemy-lines reporting of CNN's Bernard Shaw, Peter Arnett and John Holliman as bombs fall over Baghdad marks the beginning of live-TV war coverage.
6. O.J. Simpson trial (1995) A not-guilty verdict for the football star and broadcaster accused of murder is the stunning climax of a live-news soap opera created by the advent of TV cameras in the courtroom.
7. Challenger explosion (1986) The glory of America's space program turns into unfathomable heartbreak when the shuttle breaks apart 73 seconds into its flight, killing seven crew members, including schoolteacher Christa McAuliffe.
8. Rescue of Baby Jessica (1987) The successful 58-hour effort to save trapped Texas toddler Jessica McClure from a backyard well becomes a defining moment for CNN as viewers tune in to the then-nascent around-the-clock cable news channel for live updates.
9. Election-night debacle (2000) All the networks give the razor-close race for Florida's electoral votes to Al Gore and later to George W. Bush (who won the White House a month later, after the Supreme Court ruled against a recount). NBC's Tom Brokaw says, "We don't just have egg on our face, we have omelet all over our suits."
10. Death of Osama bin Laden (2011) President Barack Obama tells the nation in a televised address that U.S. Special Forces killed Al Queda leader Osama bin Laden. But, with the rise of social media, the news spreads first on Twitter.

What do you think would have happened in those times in history had the national news media been slandered by being called "liars"?

Fact of the matter is, my opponent doesn't realize that there is a distinctive difference between the tabloids and the respected news. The more disrespect you throw at something, the more that something is less likely to do their job.

The job of news is to report it. Even if done incorrectly at first, the news needs to report. If chilled by sanctions, we wouldn't have news anymore.

http://www.cnn.com...

Case of the matter is, the lies spread by our politicians outweigh the truths spread by the news. Allowing our president to dictate our thoughts by slandering the news media isn't going to solve anything.

Vote Con.
Posted by Wisecracker 11 months ago
Wisecracker
In my defense, I believe the media is the media. I'm not saying its good I'm not saying it's bad. it's a part of our life we have to ignore or fall prey to. Several people will blame the media for everything with all due respect how is it the media's fault that you read and listen to what they have to say. You're the ones who read watch it. All they do is give access. It's a choice. Now I think that human nature does come to play a bit in this because we are inclined as humans to want to blame others for our own mistakes. it's anybody else's problem, not mine.
Thank you and I look forward to reading more also I'm voting pro on this one to disagree with my own choice. I hope you convince me a pro.
Posted by paintballvet18 11 months ago
paintballvet18