Should the military cafeterias give their uneaten food to the homeless shelters or throw it away?

I am currently in the army and I noticed that there is a lot of un eaten food in the cafeterias everyday. This is in the USA and Afghanistan. I think that the food should be given to the homeless and poor. The shelter will come to the cafeteria and pick up the food rather than throwing it in the trash. This will help the poor and homeless and they will have a lot of good food.

Good day, I'd like to start by thanking everyone for reading my argument.

With respectful response to my opponent: I simply cannot see how this can benefit the homeless or the poor. Taking food from a plate that has been eaten from and then delivering it to homeless shelters would be an unhygienic and costly matter. One simply does not transport food all the way from Afghanistan or Iraq to the U.S.A and then proceed to distribute it throughout the nation without spending a large chunk of One's budget. With all the money spent flying a plane through hostile airspace, over the Atlantic Ocean and then through the distribution of this unhygienic waste you may as well buy new food for the unfortunate. According to the news website Counter Punch: "The cost for a single soldier to fight in Iraq or Afghanistan is about $775,000 per year" and a large proportion of that outstanding figure is spent on their transport. With a nation that is planning several cuts to it's military and more importantly the upcoming withdrawal from the aforementioned countries this program wouldn't last long enough for the unfortunate to reap the benefits. Also would this food not rot in the process of being distributed? Whilst this is a wonderful idea the cost is too much to burden for such little results.

When I say give the uneaten food to the poor I am talking about the food that has not been touched. The military cafeterias have a buffett set up. I personally have worked in the kitchen and after the meal is finished all the food on the buffett is thrown away even though this food has not been touched. This includes in Afghanistan where I am currently serving. They have to transport the food here as long as US troops are here and they have to prepare a large amount to satisfy all the soldiers and personel. There is a lot of food left over after every meal. I know that in the USA there are homeless shelters and soup kitchens set up to where they come and pick up the food and take it to the shelter so it would not cost the military extra money to give or distribute this food.

Your logic is flawed good sir, a soup kitchen isn't going to collect food from Afghanistan or Iraq it's way too costly. These soup kitchens are more often than not funded by public donations and these are just enough to buy soup let alone fly already cooked food over from Afghanistan/Iraq. It's not plausible and it's certainty not within the soup kitchens' budget.

I ask you, if the military can't afford to send this food over and if the Kitchens can't afford to collect the food then how do you get it into the mouths of the needy? Surely the most logical answer isn't to send any food anywhere, maybe it's to cut down on the consumption of food within the U.S. Military.

The soup kitchen or homeless shelter would have to be in the same city as the military base. The military bases in the USA throw away a lot of good food. We don't have military bases in every city but there are a lot of bases and the cities that they are in would benefit from them. It may not be possible in Afghanistan to do this but there are many other foreign countries the US has military in such as Germany and France.

Sir, I once again appeal to you and to any sense which you may have. Please understand that the outstanding public debt as of 02 May 2014 at 10:06:21 PM GMT is: $17,476,760,939,889.73 . No one, not even the soup kitchens can afford this stuff and the U.S. military can somehow afford to waste food. This starts with the military. The administrator should read the works of Keynes so they understand the basics of supply and demand. The fact is this waste shouldn't be there in the first place. Why spend money on logistics when you can not produce as much waste in the first place?

Good day to you sir.

Posted by S.Weekes 2 years ago
@PotBelliedGeek Fair enough sir, however the transportation wasn't my only argument and my opponent didn't cite a single source. Democracy is democracy though.
Posted by S.Weekes 2 years ago
Thank you Azariah for a pleasant debate.
Vote Placed by PotBelliedGeek 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: The debaters tied on all subjects except arguments. Cons entire debate was structured on the cost of transporting food from conflict regions into the USA. This was refuted simply and effectively by pros assertion that the food would be distributed locally rather than abroad. Debate goes to pro.