GVMSDEBATE
Sosoconfused

Should the minimum wage be raised?

Sosoconfused
Started: 2/11/2015 Category: Economics

GVMSDEBATE

Con

The minimum wage should not be raised. Currently the minimum wage is $7.25. If this is raised what will happen? Well it's common sense. If I own a chain fast food restaurant and my goal is a cheap healthy option o the go food wise. I pay my employees minimum wage. Now lets look at the problem in my business I will be forced to fire a portion of my employees or throw away the goal in my restaurant because I would have to raise prices of my food just to pay a bill. How does raising the minimum wage affect society positively? Well it doesn't.
Sosoconfused

Pro

I would like to thank CON for starting this debate.

I will attempt to show that increasing the minimum wage would produce a greater public good than the current minimum wage.

If we increased the minimum wage to $10.10 it would save tax payers money.
Currently fast food workers cost tax payers about $7 billion per year in government assistance
Walmart employees cost tax payers $6.2 billion per year.

This shows that companies are passing on their wage burden onto the tax payers. The profit margins of these companies are higher than the burden placed on the tax payers. Walmart's profit margin is about $115 billion. So they can certainly afford to pay their workers a wage that doesn't place an undue burden on the tax payer.

Sources: https://www.stock-analysis-on.net...
http://www.forbes.com...

Currently we subsidize companies that employ low wage workers by making up the salary difference to a living wage using public funds. It would stand to reason that lifting those subsidizations from the marked would alleviate the tax burden of the populous as a whole, resulting in a net positive.
GVMSDEBATE

Con

GVMSDEBATE forfeited this round.
Sosoconfused

Pro

It appears con has forfeited the debate
Posted by Lookingatissues 2 years ago
Lookingatissues
Its a fact that everything ,labor, product, skills, has a price and that price has to do with its value. No one should expect to be paid a wage to do something any higher than the skill or value of their abilities demand. There are jobs that only require limited skills and thus pay less, there are jobs that require more skill and thus can demand higher compensation for being able to do them. All jobs, no matter how low, are stepping stones allowing people to advance themselves if they have the talent to do so and receive wages and recognition they earn.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
GVMSDEBATESosoconfusedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
GVMSDEBATESosoconfusedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's counter-arguments went uncontested, thus arguments go to Pro. Conduct to Pro for Con's round forfeit. Sources to Pro because making statistical claims requires sources, of which Pro provided for his/her claims whilst Con did not.