DoctorSandwiches
Kristin_Jacks

Should the police be allowed to search through a suspects garbage in order to find evidence?

DoctorSandwiches

Con

I am rather inexperienced at this, and so please excuse any mistakes as they are made. If you could point them out that would be very helpful.

First round accepting.
Kristin_Jacks

Pro

Of course they should. But only in places where there is no expectation of a 'right to privacy.' For example, when you put your trash on the curb for pickup, then there is no expectation of privacy. Pretty much anyone can go through your garbage at this point.

In California v. Greenburg, 486 U.S. 35 (1988), the Court found that the police did not violate the respondent's 4th Amendment rights when they searched through his trash placed at the curb. In the Court's decision, it states, "Since respondents voluntarily left their trash for collection in an area particularly suited for public inspection, their claimed expectation of privacy in the inculpatory items they discarded was not objectively reasonable. It is common knowledge that plastic garbage bags left along a public street are readily accessible to animals, children, scavengers, snoops, and other members of the public. "
DoctorSandwiches

Con

Indeed, a person has no right of privacy while it is on the curb, but I would present a repercussion of such actions taken to arrest suspicious people. Unfortunately I do not have a cite for this story as I heard it from my father and not from a website.

About a week ago, police arrested suspected drug addicts after finding remains of the drug in their trash. The only complication was that the suspects knew that the police were waiting for them to take their trash out, so they did not take out their trash. It became a siege for the police, waiting until the suspects had no choice but to throw away the piling garbage, while the suspects became more and more desperate. Finally, the suspects gathered up all their trash, put it all in their car, and drove away. The police trailed behind, still lacking evidence to support an arrest. While they were driving, the police realized they were going to the dump, so they had another policeman there, waiting for the people to come and dump their garbage while pretending to dump his. Sure enough, the people came, and the dumped their trash, and the police knew where they dumped it, and the police scanned the trash and arrested the suspects.

While this may seem like a great victory at first, the possible repercussions can be extremely costly. First of all, the police found used diapers in the mix with all the other garbage, and indeed there was a baby at the house. The infant, who was probably used to living in a pretty dirty house, was living in a garbage infested house. If wind of this story gets to a drug addict who knows the cops are waiting for him to throw away his garbage, there are two outlets for him. He can either burn the trash and get fined, or flush the garbage down the toilet. Either way, the trash isn't getting out of there very quickly. This will cause an rapid decrease of hygiene for him and anyone with him, including growing children.

I find that forcing anyone to live in conditions like these extremely inhumane.
Kristin_Jacks

Pro

Kristin_Jacks forfeited this round.
DoctorSandwiches

Con

DoctorSandwiches forfeited this round.
Kristin_Jacks

Pro

Kristin_Jacks forfeited this round.
Posted by DoctorSandwiches 3 years ago
DoctorSandwiches
I noticed. It doesn't matter. I think I stumped her, unfortunately. I really wanted an answer or a rebuttal because this is actually happening.
Posted by DudeStop 3 years ago
DudeStop
Kristin jacks rejected the first rule for some reason...