KJC
Caploxion

Should the religious beliefs of immigrants be influenced by the country they are moving to?

Caploxion

KJC

Con

I personally believe that a multicultural society is very important. I think that by controlling people's religious beliefs, we are taking away some of their basic human rights, and this would likely cause more problems than it could possibly solve. I think that freedom of religion allows people to become more educated about one another and therefore more accepting, despite the fact that it can cause separation in some societies. By achieving a multicultural society, we are closer to also achieving equality, which will allow people to be more accepting and respectful of each other rights over time.
However, I do believe that people should abide to the laws of the land that they are living in, and henceforth think that people should all have to abide to the same laws in one place, despite what that person's religion might say. I think that it is unfair for someone to commit a crime and not be punished for it due to their religion, when another person committing that exact same crime would be punished. I think that when respecting people's rights we must aim for true equality, and not make exceptions just because a group is a minority. I think that it is unfair for minorities to be treated differently or with caution just because it is more likely to cause publicised problems.
Caploxion

Pro

I wish to thank KJC for setting up this debate.

What is Multiculturalism?

Multiculturalism is the radical notion that people from all over the earth, from starkly different cultures, can live together in harmony.

The fundamental problem with multiculturalism

Does it not seem ludicrous that some zealously religious person, say someone who has faith in Islam, may not be able to live in a secular society. Take for example Hilal food, which involves the cutting of an animal’s throat and having him/her bleed to death in a painful way. How is that compatible with Animal Right views? How can you possibly have a society in which both people, one a believer in Islam, and the other Animal Rights, look each other in the eye and say, ‘I respect your culture, even though it is in stark contrast to mine’? The cognitive dissonance will drive both people insane, eventually causing them to resent each other.

Freedom from religion

Any truly secular government gives people the right to practice their beliefs. A secular government is ideal as it does not discriminate against any particular religion, as say an Islamic government would more than likely ban anything that is not Islamic. Immigrants coming into a country have a right to hold onto their beliefs, but they have no right to demand radical changes to a country simply because their religion doesn’t agree with certain aspects of a country. For example, asking for mosques to be built is somewhat reasonable, but forcing their religion into standard national school curriculum is imposing their religious beliefs upon other people. This is not to be tolerated as it violates freedom from religion.

Violation of freedom of speech

Dissent against other cultures is often silenced via Political Correctness and Hate Speech laws, both of which infringe on people’s right to freedom of speech.

I wanted to write more, but I’m about to be temp-banned. I will continue my arguments upon future access to my account.

KJC

Con

KJC forfeited this round.
Caploxion

Pro

Caploxion forfeited this round.
KJC

Con

KJC forfeited this round.
Caploxion

Pro

I don't see a point in writing more if my opponent has yet to respond outside of the first round. Extend my arguments.
KJC

Con

KJC forfeited this round.
Caploxion

Pro

Caploxion forfeited this round.
KJC

Con

KJC forfeited this round.
Caploxion

Pro

Caploxion forfeited this round.
Posted by Caploxion 3 years ago
Caploxion
Bah, I should have checked earlier; I might just have been unbanned in time.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
KJCCaploxionTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments highlighted a serious problem with Multiculturalism, and this problem was never addressed.