AlphaNick
SkySky16

Should the requirements to be a teacher be raised?

SkySky16 has forfeited round #2.

AlphaNick

Pro

For this debate, I will be taking the stance that the requirements to be a teacher should be raised. My opponent can either take the argument that it should remain the same, or be lowered. If they choose to remain the same, I will carry the burden of proof, otherwise, we will share the burden of proof. The number of rounds for debate is 3, one less than posted. This is due to the fact that I am using my first round to lay out expectations and explain the debate. My opponent may choose to waive any round of the debate, however, he/she is expected to do so at least once. Failure to do so is rude, and I believe grounds to be automatically voted against.
Note: This debate concerns the AVERAGE requirements for teaching in the United States. Currently, schools use a variety of requirements to become a teacher, therefore using any one example would qualify as bias.

Rules:
1) Be respectful, and NO personal attacks. This is a mandatory rule that I expect from all debates, and this is no exception. Rude or insulting remarks will grant you the loss of an opportunity for an interesting debate, as I will not tolerate it.
2) Use evidence. This is a tangible topic, and therefore there are plenty of studies and articles out there to draw upon. Anecdotes are welcome, however, do not rely on them.
3) Be thoughtful about your debate. This goes back to rule #1; if my opponent posts short, simple arguments every time, I take it as insulting. If you can't find time in your day to write a short couple of paragraphs, don't accept. That is not what I want out of a debate.

Overall, just enjoy yourself. Debates are lots of fun, and I look forward to debating with an opponent on this. The rules are simply for those who either fail to maintain maturity during a debate, or simply do not take it seriously. They are not difficult and do not feel like I am attempting to restrict you. I just ask that you reflect the common courtesy that I will show to you.
SkySky16

Con

I agree on the terms and I waive this round
AlphaNick

Pro

The United States currently sits at #14 in the world in education (1). While that may sound fine, I believe the United States should be #1, and our government agrees. In 2016 they spend $68.3 billion dollars on education, and that number has been increasing (2). Yet, according to PISA scores, the United States has not seen the improvement shared by many other countries. Finland has been on a steady climb, Poland has skyrocketed, Hong Kong is continuing to climb despite their #1 ranking (3). Why is the United States stuck at the bottom? I believe it's due to their teachers. Data from the College Board showed that those studying to be a teacher had an average SAT score of 1444, 60 points less than the average of 1517 (4). These are the people that teach our youth, therefore shouldn't they be among the experts in their field? Apparently not. Most of these below-average teachers go to elementary schools, as they have the lowest requirements. Therefore many young children are presented with teachers that are afraid of math or did not major in the very subject they are teaching. This lack of confidence in higher-learning is then passed on to students, creating students who avoid those subject they perform poorly in later in life.

Now, the United States government attempted to solve this problem under the Obama administration with the 'No Child Left Behind" program. While it was created with the right ideas, all it has truly done is create a confusing mess of standardized tests that bog down teachers and students. Along with these come learning standards that dictate what in taught in a classroom. So clearly, the government recognizes that there is a problem, however, they attempt to solve it by rooting out those who are not teaching well. Why should we continue using such a backward system, instead of solving the problem at the root?

1. http://www.master-and-more.eu...
2. https://www.usnews.com...
3. http://www.simonandschuster.com... (book)
4. http://www.joshuakennon.com...