IzzySmith
voidfire

Should the use of photoshop be limited within advertising media?

voidfire

IzzySmith

Pro

I think that the use of photoshop should be limited within advertising media as it is encouraging younger generations to look up to unrealistic and unnatural expectations within woman in particular. This is therefore encouraging eating disorders, low self-esteem, self-harm etc etc.
voidfire

Con

I accept. Photoshop should not be limited because you can't completely change someone's looks with Photoshop. They have to naturally exhibit some degree of beauty in order to be edited in Photoshop. There's a reason they call it photo enhancing.
Enhance - Intensify, increase, or further improve the quality, value, or extent of.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
Notice the word further.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm sure this'll be a great first debate for me :D
IzzySmith

Pro

I understand that 'photoshopping' can't be banned because it would be unrealistic to assume that every photographer/ advertiser/ media representative to not use it. But I think that it should be limited in terms of not completely changing a person's appearance to the extent that they don't look like their original self. I think if the photographer is using photoshop, they should at least make an acknowledgements in their credits/ on the bottom of the picture to say that they have used it. In terms of low self-esteem, eating disorders, depression etc. It can't be blamed solely on photoshop, but there should be a LOT more awareness in the media about photoshopping and its realistic expectations.
voidfire

Con

I do not understand your meaning when you say that "it would be unrealistic to assume that every photographer/ advertiser/ media representative to not use it."
My opponet hasn't provided any form of citation to prove the link between Photoshop and the previously stated disorders.
limited-Restricted in size, amount, or extent; few, small, or short
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
Note that this argument pertains to Photoshop only, not to any of its alternatives, and thus does not refer to any other imaging editors. Photoshop is obviously not the only editor, and thus it would hardly impact the overall advertising media if Photoshop alone was limited. My opponent has failed to prove that public and media awareness is relevant to if Photoshop should be restricted or not.
My opponent has stated a lot of points, but has failed to prove them.
IzzySmith

Pro

IzzySmith forfeited this round.
voidfire

Con

http://www.psychologytoday.com...
There are no legitimate studies that prove the link between Anorexia and other eating disorders and digitally edited advertisements. The ad inside of a magazine has no control whatsoever in your life, but how you interpret it makes all the difference. Limitations placed on Photoshop would be, as I stated before, practically useless with good intentions.
IzzySmith

Pro

IzzySmith forfeited this round.
voidfire

Con

My opponent continues to forfeit rounds, I don't believe that honors that spirit of debate.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My biggest issue with limits on Photoshop is if it's even constitutional to bring such a law into effect.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
-First Amendment.
Advertising, or "commercial speech" is protected by the 1st Amendment.
The commercial market place, like other spheres of our social and cultural life, provides a forum where ideas and information flourish. Some of the ideas and information are vital, some of slight worth. But the general rule is that the speaker and the audience, not the government, assess the value of the information presented. Thus, even a communication that does no more than propose a commercial transaction is entitled to the coverage of the First Amendment." (Edenfield v. Fane, 123 L. Ed. 2d 543, 113 S. Ct. 1792, 1798 (1993))
Even an image that has been enhanced with Photoshop is entitled to protection, regardless of what it markets, as long it does hold value, which is assessed by the speaker and audience, not the government.
How would a law prohibiting Photoshop be enforced? Would models be put under government scrutiny to see if their body matches the image? Or would you ban Photoshop for all audiences? It is unconstitutional and unfair to restrict Photoshop. We cannot change what the image is, or how it is presented, but what we can change is the manner in which the image is perceived. However, keeping the original topic of the debate in mind, Photoshop should not and cannot be restricted or limited inside OR outside the advertising industry.

http://www.lawpublish.com...
IzzySmith

Pro

IzzySmith forfeited this round.
voidfire

Con

Again, IzzySmith has failed to post any arguments. Allow me to restate this: Photoshop will not be limited or banned in any way whatsoever whether inside the advertising industry and out.
Posted by Garsot 2 years ago
Garsot
How about instead of worrying about the advertisements showing unrealistic photos we educate the people to know that advertisements are meant to entice the consumer any way possible? So basically when you are looking into something just ignore advertisements because they are not reliable indicators of what you are getting into.
Vote Placed by Relativist 2 years ago
Relativist
IzzySmithvoidfireTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
IzzySmithvoidfireTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture