RyanC
JacobAnderson

Should the voting age be lowered to the age of 16?

RyanC

Pro

Elections are beauty of a democracy. They determine who we elect and how we elect them. In most democratic nations, the voting age is at 18 years old (UK and USA).
To a 16 year old, politics seems to be quite apparent to them and they do have the ability to understand politics. Since politics after all affects everyone including people at the age of 16 , isn't 16 years old a sufficient age to be able to vote?
JacobAnderson

Con

As a 16 year old, I disagree with this topic. The voting age should remain at 18, if not be risen to 21 when you reach the rest of your enabled rights like alcohol consumption.
At 16, people are more gullible to others' opinions. 16 year olds are not usually informed on the way politics work, the effects their choices can make, or how the election process even works. Some adults do not know how the voting process works, but they do know how to influence children with things like money, sex and violence. It will be easier for candidates to win by campaigning to the younger generation because the younger generations only care about present-living comfort and happiness.

Anyway, your go! I would need your side before I continue on with my side.
RyanC

Pro

To generalize all 16 year olds to be gullible to other's opinions seems be unsupported. 16 year olds are midway through the course of becoming adults and I'm sure that through this course comes the development of their own opinion such as music, art, literature and controversial subjects. I do appreciate that some may not understand the election process, but that can be resolved through better education in American high schools, and like before, education is the key to safety, we can educate our younger generations about the dangers of voting. In the UK, the Liberal Democrats in 2010 promised that there would be no increase in university fees, does that not affect out younger generation? does that not concern them?
JacobAnderson

Con

In America, government is a required class for your senior year, which I am taking. This educates the younger generation about the processes, the effects and the subjects in politics, but many people are not able to get in to this class until 17 or even 18. A young mind is not as mature as one that has had an extra two years to expand.
16 year olds may be able to form opinions, but those opinions can be easily fluctuated as they would agree with the majority. In high school, where they are at age 16, majority of the crowd wants to conform and fit in with society, so why do we allow easily fluctuated minds to vote on topics so huge and effective?
RyanC

Pro

I appreciate we both have different education systems. Here in the UK we start college at 16 and I've taken Politics as one of my qualifications. You are right about the fact that a 18 year old's mind is more mature than one 2 years younger, but a 16 year old is still capable of learning and maturing. From my experience, at my age I managed to learn about politics and its processes quite easily. So learning and maturing may vary from different educational systems, who knows? So what you're saying is that there is no diversity of opinions in American teenagers? only a flood of conformist views?
JacobAnderson

Con

Like you have agreed, an 18 year old mind is more mature, and therefore more eligible to make controversial decisions than that of a 16 year old. Politics does come easy, but in America, we have set curriculum and because the Constitution has set the legal voting age to 18, we are not required to learn politics until around 18. Which is my last argument; the Constitution has set the age at 18 [1], and it has been shown to work with no problem, so why change it now?

Source:
[1]http://www.constitutionshow.us...

Thanks for the debate!
Posted by jessica01 3 years ago
jessica01
No, at the age of 16, you are excored about being able to drive and i don't think they need to vote and the age of 16. They are still children and if they were able to vote, pur country's government would be weak. I think the age of 18 is suitable for now.
Posted by sspotts713 3 years ago
sspotts713
In my opinion I don't think 16 should be the voting age. I believe that there are many people who, at that age, don't fully understand politics well enough to make a good decision. And some of them may not be thinking for themselves, they may still be heavily influenced by other people. I think that 18 is a good age to vote because by that time they have gone through high school and had the classes that will help them understand politics and the issues that are current.