Intellisio
bodog

Should the words "under god" be in the pledge of allegiance?

bodog has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 5 days ago Status: Debating Period

Intellisio

Pro

The words "under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance.

The first round is only for acceptance. The debate will begin in the 2nd round.
Please do not forfeit as that is what happened with my last opponent.
bodog

Con

the words " Under God" should not be in the pledge.
Intellisio

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting my debate. I want to start off by repeating that "under god" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance.
The Pledge is not trying to insult someone or their religion. We have been saying this Pledge for many years and many people have fought against it. Yet, people are not fighting against the statement "In God We Trust" that is imprinted on each and every coin in the United States.
There is no need to change the Pledge of Allegiance because it is a way of respecting our country and saluting our flag. The views of a few people should not influence the greater good of the Pledge of Allegiance. In my opinion, we as a nation have been saying this Pledge for many years. There is no point in changing it now.
The most controversies about our pledge come from students. "The main reason that the pledge of allegiance is said in schools is to instill a sense of patriotism amongst students. Some believe that it shouldn't be controversial at all because it the process is just what it is described as: a pledge. Because of how the pledge has been prominent in American society for as many as 100 years, it could be said that it could be too big a change and un-traditionalistic if the pledge was to be abandoned now following on from the years of prominence that it has had in the educational arena." This was stated by an Teachnology article.
The Pledge of Allegiance was written in August 1892 by Francis Bellamy. He wrote in hoping that the pledge would be used in any country.
The original version is:
"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
Our altered version is:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
This was changed because of President Eisenhower who encouraged Congress to add the words "under God."

Sources: http://www.teach-nology.com...
http://www.ushistory.org...
https://www.bartleby.com...
Posted by DrCereal 5 days ago
DrCereal
@Debating_Horse
Would you be against changing it? Or are you only stating that you're not personally "insulted" by it?
Posted by nobleislandbag 6 days ago
nobleislandbag
I see you shapiro
Posted by Debating_Horse 6 days ago
Debating_Horse
I am a patriotic American, and I atheist, I have no problem with "under god" in the pledge. Never have and it did not insult my position on religion.