Intellisio
SimonSmasher

Should the words "under god" be in the pledge of allegiance?

SimonSmasher has forfeited round #2.

Intellisio

Pro

The words "under God" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance. The first round is only for acceptance
Intellisio

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting my debate. I want to start off by repeating that "under god" should be in the Pledge of Allegiance.
The Pledge is not trying to insult someone or their religion. We have been saying this Pledge for many years and many people have fought against it. Yet, people are not fighting against the statement "In God We Trust" that is imprinted on each and every coin in the United States.
There is no need to change the Pledge of Allegiance because it is a way of respecting our country and saluting our flag. The views of a few people should not influence the greater good of the Pledge of Allegiance. In my opinion, we as a nation have been saying this Pledge for many years. There is no point in changing it now.
The most controversies about our pledge come from students. "The main reason that the pledge of allegiance is said in schools is to instill a sense of patriotism amongst students. Some believe that it shouldn't be controversial at all because it the process is just what it is described as: a pledge. Because of how the pledge has been prominent in American society for as many as 100 years, it could be said that it could be too big a change and un-traditionalistic if the pledge was to be abandoned now following on from the years of prominence that it has had in the educational arena." This was stated by an Teachnology article.
The Pledge of Allegiance was written in August 1892 by Francis Bellamy. He wrote in hoping that the pledge would be used in any country.
The original version is:
"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
Our altered version is:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
This was changed because of President Eisenhower who encouraged Congress to add the words "under God."

Sources: http://www.teach-nology.com......
http://www.ushistory.org......
https://www.bartleby.com......
Posted by Shad0wXx 2 months ago
Shad0wXx
@FacetiousSquid Nailed it!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Basically, this = government can"t legally force you, or prohibit you from saying "under God". Also, it appears obvious to me that restriction of public prayer in schools, for example, is technically illegal to ban, so long as it is a peaceful assembly, and no one is forced to participate (even if lead by a teacher, as the teacher has the Right of Free Speech).
Posted by FacetiousSquid 2 months ago
FacetiousSquid
It really shouldn't matter if it's in there or not. If you actually care about it that much, you should know the entire pledge of allegiance is optional. You're protected by the first amendment to just not do it at all.