perroMSC2014
superman1226

Should there be Football at Mount Saint Charles

Started: 11/18/2013 Category: Sports

perroMSC2014

Pro

I believe we need football at Mount Saint Charles for the better of mankind! Mount does not have a football team which is un-american. What high school in United States doesn't have a football team. We need one because football is awesome, it's a great sport, and students would be honored to play.
superman1226

Con

Jimmy. I strongly disagreed with you having the football at MSC. I do not think that mount is an eligible school to offer football because it is such an expensive sport by the fact that we will have to build a new field for football only because seasons of soccer and football occur at the same time. so I think that it is really unnecessary to operate football at MSC.
perroMSC2014

Pro

We are a private school and aren't restricted by any means. Football is an expensive sport but Mount Saint Charles is a private school and can easily afford it. The school budget is certainly big enough for a football program. Also football is a great fun sport that many kids would love to be apart of and play on a team together. It would also attract more athletes to come to the school if we had football. If anything, having football only leads to positive things.
superman1226

Con

I heard that Mount is not offering football because one kid died from playing football at mount. And I do not see any big kid who would be nasty at football, which will put Mount into third division and waste all that money for nothing. It can be true that we can potentially get some new kids to mount if mount will be good at it. So I think that mount should put more money on hockey team, which is already highly renowned through country instead of paying for new sports, football.
perroMSC2014

Pro

Mount does not offer football because someone died. This is true but Mount is clearly not the only high school that this has happened to. This has happened at a handful of schools over the years but the odds are very unlikely. You have a better chance to get struck by lighting then actually die from playing football so your argument isn't strong, and if it was, then every high school wouldn't allow football because one person happened to die. Sports isn't all about winning and money too btw its about the love for the sport and the team bonding that comes along with it. The extra students that would come to Mount would help pay for the football program anyways and more to again your argument is illogical here.
superman1226

Con

So you are saying that myriad of student will actually come to mont to play football which bolster the team and mount itself financially . But I don't see any student would come to mount to play football here. I see pretty good number of kids come to mount or baseball but that is a different story because mount has had the good reputation for hockey and baseball by winning state championship not only once but several times. If football team just got started and they don't have any reputation which means that none of student will try to attend Mount to play football. And I don't think that mount has any presage to have a good football team due to a lack of strongandbigkid
perroMSC2014

Pro

First off, I see a number of flaws with your argument here. There are actually a handful of students who used to play football before they came to mount. This means Mount would have a decent foundation to start off from and a huge part of football is actually in the hands of the coaches, the play calling, not the talent itself. So although the first couple of years would be a building phase for the football team, mount would greatly benefit in the long run and end up having a talented football team. You don't need a lot of great players to start a football team in RI. A lot of schools are small in RI and mount would fit right in when they first start their football team. You don't need just size and big kids to have a good team and besides, Mount has plenty of kids that are big to play football.
Also Football is the greatest team sport. You need to rely on your team more than in any other sport and it would help kids bond together and make friends which is always a great thing, not to mention football gets people ripped and in shape, like myself for example. ;)
superman1226

Con

I agree with you that football would be great sports for kids to make friends and have fun. But I think that we should spend that kind of money, only if we have, for hockey team. For example, the arena of Mount is wicked old and antique, which looks like that it will be dilapidated soon enough. So if we will have enough money to buy all the equipments needed to play football. It would be better off to spend that money for hockey to re build the arena or remodel the area at least.
And i also think that Mount should more focus on spreading the Mount hockey team to other states instead of just Ma and RI. I see the big potential for Mount to be literally considered the best hockey team in the Nation.
However, I think, if Mount has money to spend on Football, that they should spend that money to expand the prestigious of Mount Hockey team to all around the world.
perroMSC2014

Pro

No that's dumb. The only reason why mount is so "prestigious" when it comes to hockey is because THEY DON'T HAVE A FOOTBALL TEAM. Football is greater than hockey and I think most kids at Mount would agree. Hockey is popular because mount doesn't have a football team. The football team would bring real life into the school and football games a way more fun to watch and go to the games than hockey games are. A football team at mount would surely create an immense amount of amazing-ness and everybody would be happier. I think I won this debate.
superman1226

Con

No you are living in New England, which is hometown of hockey. If you are a citizen of Massachusetts you should rather support hockey than football. I do not think that you won this debate but I think I did. So we should not have a football due to the reasons that I gave. beside we should more focus on our hockey program and make even more prestigious Mount hockey team.
Posted by kennedymsc2014 3 years ago
kennedymsc2014
Although it would be extremely cool to have a football team at Mount, I agree in that we shouldn't have one. In order to bring in a guys football team we would need an additional girls team to level out the mount of co-ed teams; however Mount lacks the space as well as the money to provide either of those things.
Posted by calcagnimsc2014 3 years ago
calcagnimsc2014
I agree with the pro side, if mount had a football it would attract more athletes to mount, it would benefit the school in a number of ways.
Posted by blarence 3 years ago
blarence
I believe mount should have football. It would benefit the school in so many ways. Its almost undebatable... Jimmy for sure is who I agree with. Jimmy made great points how football you don't need big kids and turned down whatever came his way. Many more athletes would look at and come to mount if there was a football team. Also many hockey players play football too! and that's a reason why some don't come to mount. If mount was to start a football team of course it would take time to develop and compete at high levels. But it's not only about winning. About 98% of football players in RIIL will not play college football, therefore it is about the experience these student athletes have in high school.
Posted by cconnaughton 3 years ago
cconnaughton
Jimmy made good points. I agree with Jimmy that if we made money from the football games we could help other programs like hockey.
Posted by cconnaughton 3 years ago
cconnaughton
Harry made good points.
Posted by timlatshaw 3 years ago
timlatshaw
I personally think that Mount could benefit from a football team, but I do not believe it was well represented by the pro side of the argument. Saying it is better than other sports does not prove why it should be at mount and sue of slang words renders the argument disorganized.
Posted by ogilviemsc2014 3 years ago
ogilviemsc2014
I agree that Mount should have a football team and that it would bring in more students.
Posted by patrickbennett 3 years ago
patrickbennett
I agree with the Con by saying Mount Should not have a football team. To much money, not a big enough student body, and they school does not have the means in actual size to hold all of the kids that would be attracted by football, and we have no room for a field. However, i disagree with the Con when he said that "There is no big nasty kid to play" well of course there isn't.... we don't have a program. so like any other sports program the first couple of years would be very bad, but soon the program would build and more people would be attracted and then Mount would have those big nasty kids.
Posted by desaulnierspmsc2014 3 years ago
desaulnierspmsc2014
Aside from some etiquette issues (dumb...) -- valid points made. I am not wholly convinced about the football team --- some numbers might help (how many are ready to even start a team, etc), as well as percentage of private schools that have football (at least 'competitors' to Mount) and would this compliment or detract from Mount as a 'hockey school'?
Posted by StgermainMSC2014 3 years ago
StgermainMSC2014
Although I absolutely love football, installing a football team at Mount would be a waste of money, because we would not have talent like Hendricken or Lasalle, and the team would become a joke as it would end up playing in RI Division IV with low prospects of quick improvement.