TheWizardofBoz
LaraHines-CallMeShe

Should there be a Caucasian History month, like Black History month and Hispanic History month

TheWizardofBoz

Pro

The lack of acknowledgement to the accomplishments of Caucasians is demonstrating a double standard that the 21st Century cannot allow. Not acknowledging and celebrating the accomplishments of Caucasians is morally wrong and socially unacceptable. Are we not violating equality by ignoring the accomplishments of a ethnic group?
LaraHines-CallMeShe

Con

Ever since people started to notice racial differences, there have been racists. For most of human history, Caucasians considered themselves the optimal race, similar to Adolf Hitler's stance on Aryans. Other ethnicities were treated as inferior, in some cases inhuman, for so long that, only recently, are those who oppressed them for so long beginning to realise the work they have done for humanity. In my opinion, although you make a good point, we are still making up for lost time. So, to summarise, although I do not think we require a Caucasian History Month in the present, there is no reason for there not to-perhaps- be one in a century's time.
TheWizardofBoz

Pro

TheWizardofBoz forfeited this round.
LaraHines-CallMeShe

Con

LaraHines-CallMeShe forfeited this round.
TheWizardofBoz

Pro

TheWizardofBoz forfeited this round.
LaraHines-CallMeShe

Con

Posted by mentalist 2 years ago
mentalist
What I suspect you are classifying as 'Caucasian' history has typically been presented as a distorted view of World history as said history has historically been presented from a 'Caucasian' perspective. (example: Christopher Columbus 'discovering' America) Why should a month be dedicated to that view of history when the typical student is forced to sit through a whole academic year of it?
Posted by zigzagwow 2 years ago
zigzagwow
I don't think we need to have a white history month for the simple fact that the history lessons that we take in school is white history. I also don't believe we should have a black history month as I don't see the point of it, as it focus is from the years of slavery up until the present date which is only the surface of black history.
In school and beyond we are constantly shown and reminded by books and television of white history as far back as the Greeks and Romans but I can't say the same with black history.
Posted by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
Reverse racism is still racism. Agree with the resolution -- I hope you argue well, Wizard.