LegalizedProstitute
Physician

Should there be a death penalty?

LegalizedProstitute

Pro

Rules

1. First round for acceptance only.

2. No plagiarism; Don't copy somebody else's work and claim it as your own.

3. You may only troll when things get out of hand.

4. I will argue in favor of the resolution that there should, indeed, be a death penalty, as my opponent opposes.

Failure to follow these rules will result in a 7-point forfeiture.
Physician

Con

I thank my opponent for instigating this debate.

Why it shouldn't be there

Death penalty is murder. Murder is the act of unlawfully killing someone (Like you said). You both killed that criminal, and that criminal doesn't consent to it, thus the government violating their own laws.

The Bible does say "Thou shall not kill" so why are these sick twisted killers killing? Oh, that's right: they don't believe in Go. They don't think twice about torturing, raping and killing a child let alone anyone else. I believe God says in so many words for those that harm my children in any way may the wrath of God be upon you! I also believe the right next to "Thou shall not kill" is obeying the laws of the land. Well, I believe that law states any one that takes the life of another in a cruel or cold pre-meditated manner shall face the death penalty. If we did not enforce laws of this nature, why on earth would any sicko care about killing someone else? Especially when they can go to jail and spend however many years thinking about how to do it better next time so they don't get caught. Great: that's all we need a bunch of smarter criminals. Wait until it's someone you love!
LegalizedProstitute

Pro

First round was for acceptance only. So, 7 points have been automatically deducted from you.

Rebuttals

Murder is the act of unlawfully killing someone (Like you said).

Yes, indeed. Murder is the act of unlawfully killing someone[1].

You both killed that criminal, and that criminal doesn't consent to it, thus the government violating their own laws.

It is lawful. If something is lawful, then it is allowed[2]. It is sanctioned by law if they were only being penalized by death (Because their crime that they committed was severe enough), thus being lawful, thus not being considered (And rightfully so) murder.

The Bible does say "Thou shall not kill" so why are these sick twisted killers killing? Oh, that's right: they don't believe in Go. They don't think twice about torturing, raping and killing a child let alone anyone else.

Before I get into this, you plagiarized; you copied someone else's work and claimed it as your own[3].

First of all, you haven't proved that the bible is true. So, this premise is only acceptable if the God and the Bible (Christianity[4], in particular) is proven true. But, for now, let's just assume that the Bible's supposed "records" of God's sayings are true.

So, if a twisted killer murdered[1] (The act of unlawfully killing someone) someone, it's not always because that person doesn't believe in a God, but it may be because that criminal disregards that fact.

Well, I believe that law states any one that takes the life of another in a cruel or cold pre-meditated manner shall face the death penalty. If we did not enforce laws of this nature, why on earth would any sicko care about killing someone else? Especially when they can go to jail and spend however many years thinking about how to do it better next time so they don't get caught. Great: that's all we need a bunch of smarter criminals. Wait until it's someone you love!

First of all, isn't it as if the government is assisting God by doing so?

Also, that punishment is imposed for retribution of an offense. So, if the government feels someone has committed a crime severe enough (Which lacks conformity/is not sanctioned by law (In which laws are legislated based on our accepted interpretation of morality)), they'll think that that person deserves death (Which can be in defense of God).

Presentation

I will only present arguments that haven't yet been stated in my rebuttal.

The death penalty deters criminals from committing crimes, which puts a dramatic decrease on what the crime rates would've been without it.

I await my opponent's next set of arguments (Although he/she already lost).

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...

[2] http://www.merriam-webster.com...

[3] http://usliberals.about.com...;(2nd (Just is Just))

[4] http://en.wikipedia.org...;
Physician

Con

Rebuttals

"First of all, isn't it as if the government is assisting God by doing so?"

How so?

" The death penalty deters criminals from committing crimes, which puts a dramatic decrease on what the crime rates would've been without it."

but that sets a bad example for other future criminals.
LegalizedProstitute

Pro

Rebuttals

How so?

Because, if say, you imprison a criminal, there's almost always that chance for the criminal to break out (Escape) and again, commit crimes? So, if you penalize them by death, you're rather not putting the public's lives in danger, but in safety.

Well, that's not its purpose, neither do they need to give the criminal a chance to rehabilitate and change[1], but rather to deter people from committing crimes and to avoid putting lives in danger.

I await my opponent's next set of arguments.

Source

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...;
Physician

Con

Physician forfeited this round.
LegalizedProstitute

Pro

LegalizedProstitute forfeited this round.
Physician

Con

Physician forfeited this round.
Posted by judeifeanyi 2 years ago
judeifeanyi
Indeed, there should be no death penalty for any reason. There are other punishment to give to some one who commits crime and not death penalty.do you consider reason for the action? Indeed death penalty should not be allowed