303zlari
McCartyMSC2014

Should there be a limit on the amount of homework?

303zlari

Con

There should not be any limitations on homework because the objective of homework is to practice what one learns in class. When the students do their homework it allows them to see where they are in understanding the subject matter. Therefore, when they get back to school they can discuss with their teacher about what troubles they had with the homework in order to clear up their misunderstandings. If we were to limit the amount of homework, we would be limiting the amount of practice, risking the chance of stopping students from realizing where they are in understanding the class.
McCartyMSC2014

Pro

There should be a limit on homework because it can be way too much for a student to handle. If a student has other subjects for homework and extra curricular activities after school, they get stressed out. They spend hours trying to get things done, which leads to stress and students become tired trying to get it done. These can compromise a person mentally and physically, which hinders learning.
303zlari

Con

Not only does homework give a student an idea where they are at in a certain subject, but also prepares the student for the future when dealing with jobs. Yes, there are many other things in a student's life that combined with homework can create a very stressful situation, but this is how students develop skills to plan out there busy schedules. No matter the amounts of homework a student is assigned, whether great amounts or little amounts, skills can be gained that will prepare the student to deal with the amount work assigned by future jobs. If limited, homework will be unable to match that amount given by real jobs, thus the skills gained from doing homework, no matter the amount, will not be developed and leave students unprepared.
McCartyMSC2014

Pro

Giving an unlimited amount of homework is excessive. Giving hours of homework does nothing good for the student because it just wastes time. Giving a student a twenty minute assignment that focuses on what you want them to learn rather than an assignment that is an hour long helps them, focus better and is not just busy work.
303zlari

Con

The amount of homework does not matter because when homework is assigned and completed, it somewhat becomes a routine. Not a routine that consistently assigns homework daily or every other day, but a routine that when the homework is assigned, whenever it is, that the student is used to just completing the assignment. It becomes second nature where the student does not even have to think twice before completing the homework. Also, the more homework assigned, the more the student becomes accustomed to this routine and this pattern would then grow on the student through the repetitious cycle. The routine, as expressed throughout this argument, is not one to make the student a robot, in which the student automatically completes the homework instantly, and that is not what I am saying when I mention homework as a routine. I express homework as routine because as a student grows accustomed to completing homework, and when the student then gets a job, the workplace will assign tasks for the student, now an employee, to complete. The student will be prepared to complete such tasks in a real job because it is not that different from homework that was completed when the student was still in school. The routine of homework is to get the student accustomed to not being lazy and to be ready to work. Therefore, the more homework assigned, the more a student prepares for the future because eventually the student becomes accustomed to completing work and to not being lazy.
McCartyMSC2014

Pro

I agree that homework is necessary. However, a student can get lazy when there is a large amount of homework because they start to lose focus and it becomes difficult to finish. Although doing well in school and doing your homework prepares you for the future, being a striaght A student is not just what a college looks for. They look for a well rounded student, ones that do their homework and extra cirricular activities as well. This can become to challenging if you have hours of homework, a job, and say a sport. Also, you can get the same focus and understanding by doing a twenty minute assignment. For my french class last year, we wrote sentences and read everyday for a half an hour. It seems like a little but it helped me signifigantly because we stayed focused on a short assignment that took me very little time. Homework is for consistency, if you spend a little bit each day, the hours of homework is not necessary. Another example of this is practicing an instrument, by spending a half an hour each day, I have improved signifigantly and was able to get in to Julliard.
303zlari

Con

The amount of homework given is really up to the teacher. They decide the amount of homework that will be given each day. When homework is then assigned by the teacher, no matter the amount, and after school activities seem to get in the way, this is where the student develops time managing skills. These skills are important for the future. When the student is able to manage a busy schedule, the student will not have to worry about how much homework the student has. This skill of time management is key to develop since it is useful in high school, college, and life afterwards.
McCartyMSC2014

Pro

Your whole world does not revolve doing homework. There are other life skills that you gain by doing other activities such as teamwork for sports.
303zlari

Con

The point I was making before was that homework and all other activities together can be overwhelming for the student that eventually through repetition the student will grow time managing skills after planning out a schedule that fits both homework and after school activities. Specifically the skill of time management, I do not think that I have to repeat myself again!
McCartyMSC2014

Pro

Lies. All Lies.
Posted by Debatehome 1 year ago
Debatehome
Homework is a subject than can be debate on forever without really finding a right or wrong answer for my opinion.
As student I never had a thought about homework, it was a mandatory thing; it was probably as important than the rest of the schoolwork.
But now that I experience it from a mother and teacher side, I don"t always really understand the point of it.
As a parent, sometime I will get some note asking me to explain my child a concept, and I used to think: but I am expecting you to teach my child.
Can we define the teacher and the parents responsiblitliy? We keep blaming the parent for low involvement in their children life. I hear very often teachers blaming them for everything not going right with their students, I used to be one of them, but I review my assumptions and I realized that is not always accurate. I hate to admit it but sometimes, teachers don`t take the time for students to master a new content. For multiple reasons: poor management time from teachers, too many discipline issues to handle during class, and so" but students who is eager to learn should be penalize for it?
I think homework can be beneficial only if it is to reinforce skills, practice concepts learned in the class, helping managing time (when they have to get ready for a test, or a big project, learn how to find information on their own, ") but if it is for the teacher to discharge themselves from their responsibility to teach the skill because they run out of time, or they are losing patience, I don"t think the homework will be effective.
Posted by davidiritchie 1 year ago
davidiritchie
People are different. Some will like huge amounts of homework, others will not. And it's a never ending debate. Recently I've found this interesting article http://place4papers.com... about homework drawbacks. Mostly I agree with the author, but not in every aspect described.
Posted by andrea_lynneC 3 years ago
andrea_lynneC
Teachers don't take into consideration what goes on in a student's life outside of school. I am a firsthand witness to this because I am a person that leaves school, goes to work and extracurricular activities, and doesn't come home until late at night. Therefore, I stay up doing homework, which affects me negatively in school the next day because of a lack of sleep. Therefore, there should be a limit on the amount of homework a student receives each day.
Posted by Bissonnettemsc2014 3 years ago
Bissonnettemsc2014
I believe homework is great to test a students ability after work in the classroom yet a lot of times isn't the same level that was used in class therefore is often useless. I think a time limit is the best way to approach homework so students are overwhelmed!
Posted by bonimsc2014 3 years ago
bonimsc2014
I feel that the more people are involved in, the less homework they should have. There's plenty of homework to do on the weekends, and not enough time during the weeks. Many people don't want homework at all, but how will they review and learn from their 6 hour school day? I think it should be given with a limit.
Posted by superman1226 3 years ago
superman1226
Homework definitely should be limited. Because I really think that doing homework is not helpful and waste of time. For me, I do not have enough time to study for other material like SAT, TOEFl because of homework that I get. Due to the lack of ti me doing other more important stuff because of homework, homework should be limited.
Posted by emster 3 years ago
emster
My little sister just started high school. Her day is a lot like mine was last year when I was in high school. She comes home from school around 3:40. She goes to her room to do homework until 9. Then she watches tv for an hour then goes to bed. She gets up, sometimes eats breakfast and then goes to school at 7:40. Its the same thing everyday. Its way too much, my cheerful sister is now meaner than ever and always snappy.
Its too much homework and there should be a limit!
Posted by desaulniersmsc 3 years ago
desaulniersmsc
When do you suggest doing reading? Writing assignments?
Posted by YamamotoMSC2014 3 years ago
YamamotoMSC2014
I believe homework should be limited because some kids grades drop low because of too much homework. If kids get too much homework, they get lazy and will eventually won't do them at all. Then, when they go to hand in their homework, they get a zero because they don't have it done.
Posted by bauersachsmsc2014 3 years ago
bauersachsmsc2014
I believe there should be a limit on homework because to go to school for 6 hours and do work and assignments just to come home and do those same assignments is a never-ending, pointless cycle.