debatealpha
SactownBoom

Should there be free college education?

SactownBoom

debatealpha

Pro

Imagine, a country, where almost everyone is smart and educated. They work hard, everyday, to lead the country to prosperity because they can. Hardly anyone lies below the poverty line, because with their education, why would they need to? High paying jobs are easy to get. Huge crises are easily solved because basically everyone is well-educated. Global warming? Easy. This could be our country, if we had free college education for anyone willing to go and to work hard to lead our country to prosperity.
It is a fact that over 40 million people are in poverty. These children cannot go to school and get the education that we all take for granted. They were born in poverty, and without the money to get education and a good job later in life, they cannot break the wheel. So it ends in poverty, poverty, and poverty. Now what if education was free? Fifty million more people would be educated. That's more than the total amount of people living in the continent of Australia. With that much more people educated and out of poverty, our economy will get better, and our country will prosper.
Now you may be wondering, how will the country pay for this? I know many of you are thinking taxes. More taxes, more money for the government. But Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders has a different idea. By putting the tiniest tax on Wall Street, we would be able to get billions of dollars. Tiny impacts to individuals, but it gains a lot of money.
So why not start leading our country to prosperity? Why wait for more kids to live in poverty?
SactownBoom

Con

Wow! That sounds incredible! Bernie Sanders is going to fix Global warming so easily by just giving everyone a college education? Genius! There'll be no more poverty because everyone will be college educated? OMG! I had no idea the cause of all the poverty in the USA was only a lack of education and nothing more. A "tiniest" of tax on Wall Street is all we need?
Brillitant! "Tiny impacts" and a lot of money. Prosperity awaits. Again, the cure for poverty! What could go wrong? [/sarcasm]

Let's take a look at the facts though-http://www.npr.org...
Most Educated Workforces
South Korea (67%)
Japan (58%)
Canada (58%)

The US is right now 9th in the world at 45%. But you know what South Korea, Japan and Canado do? They CHARGE tuition at their universities. Pretty much the same as what you would pay at your State college right now.

You seem to equate free college with the abolishment of poverty. This is naive. Will free college do anything about the high school dropout rate in the inner cities? No it will not. Will it stop drug and alcohol abuse in lower income stratas? If only we lived in that world.

Not everyone wants to go to college. Its not the right career path for many people. But everyone will pay for a few people to go for free. That's not fair.

Sanders' tiny tax? Seems like nothing to us, but $.50 per $100 on every Wall Street transaction would be the highest FTT in the world. Traders will just move on to other markets that don't have the tax. Do you have a 401K? I do. Im counting on my investments to fund my retirement. I do not want to give up my retirement so some mostly white, middle to upper class kids can get a free ride to college.

Rich people don't like having money taken away from them. You know who will pay for it in the end? We all will, with higher prices. Nothing is free, and only a fool would buy the bill of goods Sanders is selling.

People will still be in poverty, the markets will be damaged beyond repair, and your free college will ultimately come out of my pocket.

No thanks. Go and earn your college education like everyone else has had to.
debatealpha

Pro

debatealpha forfeited this round.
SactownBoom

Con

Well then. I extend my first argument to this round.
debatealpha

Pro

debatealpha forfeited this round.
SactownBoom

Con

Okey dokey then.

It's a bad idea. I don't feel the Bern on this.

Posted by SocialDemocrat 1 year ago
SocialDemocrat
They're not just slackers by default.
The idea is that there are a lot of poor people who can't go to college even if they want to.
A wealthy kid could go to Yale with decent grades just because they have the money.
A poor kid can't go to college even with very good grades because they can't pay for EVEN if they get a partial academic scholarship.
And its not free college for all schools, its just public universities. Rich people are not going to public schools man that just doesn't make sense.
Posted by SactownBoom 1 year ago
SactownBoom
debatealpha is a debatebeta
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
I'll just continue...

Half the problem with the student loan forgiveness conversation is there's not enough jobs to go around. You already have too many graduates. Tossing extra kids through college isn't going to fix that.

And if you listen to business news, another problem is that the kids who are coming out of college don't even have the skills that employers are looking for... so the new grads aren't even skilled enough to hire. There's a giant talent gap.
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
And most importantly, let me reiterate this...

Pay your bills.
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
You don't want student loan debt? Here's your options:

1. Bust your butt in high school and get an academic scholarship.
2. Learn a sport or skill to get a non-academic scholarship. If you're not athletic, there's always music.
3. Seek out a less expensive college. There's always two years of community college with a transfer. Or even commute to a local school (if available) to save on room & board.
4. Skip college and learn a blue collar trade. The world actually does need skilled blue collar workers - not everyone needs to go to college.

Long story short, you have options and if you end up buried in student loan debt you are very much to blame for your own situation.
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
Also, all the free college education / student loan forgiveness conversations irritate the hell out of me.

I graduated college in 2006. I've been paying my student loan debt going on ten years now. Expecting to finally have it paid off by the end of this year (fingers crossed).

Then I have to listen to a bunch of lazy slackers whine that they don't want to pay their bills therefore their debt should magically disappear. That's ridiculous.

You made your choice to go that college. You knew the cost of tuition and room & board up front. You sought out a loan and signed your name on the dotted line. And chances are you were 18+ years of age (aka age of consent) for at least three, most likely all four years.

Take responsibility and pay your bills.
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
I should just D-Fan this comment section. Not that anyone would ever see it.
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
Supposed to be quotation on that but... wharves
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
I don't feel the Bern on this.

Punny.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
debatealphaSactownBoomTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
debatealphaSactownBoomTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by fire_wings 1 year ago
fire_wings
debatealphaSactownBoomTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
debatealphaSactownBoomTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited 2 turns = conduct point to Con. Pro cited no sources; Con cited a news article = source point to Con.