ProundDemocrat
Hawkecrail

Should there be free college

ProundDemocrat has forfeited round #3.

ProundDemocrat

Pro

I think there should be free college
In our country right now the US is in debt, and free college can fix this. For the first 2 or 3 years the cost of the college will come out of the rich's taxes. More people would be educated which then would create more jobs, more jobs equals more employment. If there are more people with more money then our debt goes away.
Hawkecrail

Con

It is in within my rights to believe we should not have free college within the United States of America
It is a fact the U.S. is in extreme debt, that is fact. However, Colleges and universities being made free, despite what you may be inclined to believe, would actually substantially increase the debt of the U.S. in the best scenario.
First off, taking more taxes from rich people comes with many problems. You cannot tax more from just the rich without extreme opposition. You would need to increase taxes in general (which would also bring about extreme opposition). But then, There are better things to use more tax money for, like fore example,starting to pay off national debt, or better yet, fund internal improvements. Either way, I would like to open my paycheck and actually have something in it.
Next, 2 to 3 years is not enough to get students a well paying job. 4 years is usually the minimum to get a degree, but to get more well paying jobs, you need more years of education, which in turn would just increase the debt of the USA. And going back on your previous point, Why would anyone want to get rich if they knew after they crossed a certain line thy would get taxed heavily.
The point "More people would be educated which would then create more jobs" is also false. First of all, it would not create more jobs, only take up more job openings or open small businesses which don't generate lots of revenue quickly. Sure there would be more employment, but that does not lower national debt. The best way to lower national debt is to export goods, have tariffs, and taxes mostly pay schools, police departements, and, yes, colleges, but colleges also rely very heavily on the money students/scholarships pay. Without these, the Colleges would need so much money from the government it would, again, increase the debt.
"More people with more money" is also a false statement since there is a finite amount of cash value in a country. The only 2 ways to increase a country's wealth is through exporting goods.
"Our debt goes away" also is an unlikely statement since it would take years, decades even to get rid of this debt.
Finally, I would like to point out that more availability to colleges would not mean many more people go. There is a long and tedious process to apply and get accepted into college. Making college free would only mean more people would go for higher education, costing more money, increasing debt, and at the end of it, do you really want to be rich in a country that heavily taxes the rich? Or the envelope of a paycheck being worth more than the contents inside? I don't think so
ProundDemocrat

Pro

Ok I don't have anything to say you won this debate but I made a new one on abortions do you want to do that?
Hawkecrail

Con

I'll graciously accept the offer on the abortions debate