Beople
TexasSteve

Should there be more gun control in the US?

Beople has forfeited round #2.

Beople

Pro

Guns are very widely owned by American Citizens, but it's time to put an end to that. I propose that the United States government puts stricter regulations on gun ownership similar to those of Japan, the U.K, or Norway.

Take Japan for example, guns there are only used for research and competition and because of this gun-related crimes are almost non existent in the island nation. The U.K and Norway also have strict gun laws, but citizens can still own them.

You may be saying that this would violate the Second Amendment, but really only the type of gun regulation in Japan would violate that as the second amendment does not prohibit all gun regulation. Therefore gun regulation similar to those of Norway and the U.K would be more plausible and not violate the second amendment. I believe that doing this would make America better, for everyone.
TexasSteve

Con

I'll try to keep it short...

According to multiple sources, there are roughly 89 guns to every 100 Americans; from a comparative perspective, how you be sure banning new guns of a certain type will create a positive impact when the countries you are comparing to America had significantly smaller ratios of guns to citizens before the legislation was passed?

I'll also point to the issues identified by Koper:
http://www.factcheck.org...
https://www.ncjrs.gov...

My next question, is wouldn't the resources on both sides of the gun control issue be better focused on a leading cause of death with a higher rate of occurrence?
http://www.cdc.gov...

The NRA and Gun Control Inc. burn through millions of dollars in capital each year; the former not making any progress in rolling back existing regulation, and the latter trying to drive legislation based on results that even Koper says are tentative at best? When you look a the issues, it seems humanity would be better of if the money were spent making cars safer, or on any of the myriad medical problems, most of which have a correlation with poverty, affecting America.
Posted by Bored_Debater 3 months ago
Bored_Debater
I don't much feel like doing a debate like that again for a little bit. However, a quick Google search says the United Kingdom prohibits citizens fully automatic weapons, semi autos rifles larger than .22, and handguns larger than .22. These kind of restrictions are 100% violations of the US constitution. I mean, the kind of restrictions that I found applied in the UK on gun ownership would make this an easy win for me if I decided to take this challenge. I didn't look up Norway but if it is anywhere close to the level of the UK, then..., you should think about editing this debate so you have a better chance.