Loganw45
oyj5631

Should there be no prison time for possessing marijuana in the U.S.?

Loganw45

Pro

There should not be prison time for people possessing marijuana. In the U.S. today marijuana is on its way to becoming legal to have and we should not be ruining people's lives for having marijuana. Instead there should be fines based on how much a person owns.
oyj5631

Con

There should be prison time for possessing marijuana in the US. We can't ignore the addictive marijuana. Possibly, it causes more scary incidents among prisoner. To quit addictive things at once is too difficult to everyone. If prison officers give steps to quit it, it is more benefit in prison.
Loganw45

Pro

There is no evidence that marijuana is addictive. There are no side effects to quitting marijuana, so if an individual wanted to stop smoking marijuana they can stop today.

Many people are in prison for possession of marijuana and this puts a strain on facilities who have to care for these prisoners. It is also expensive to hold prisoners and I don't think we as U.S. citizens should have to pay for people to be in jail for possession of marijuana.
oyj5631

Con

Marijuana makes them feel better, I heard. I am sorry about that I thought it's addictive just because it's drug. But I am still thinking it causes bad effect to prisoners to impose to quit marijuana. Anyway, I'm not saying let's pay for their possession of marijuana. It sounds better, if prison officers sell it as higher cost, or select a model prisoner who doesn't smoke.
I believe to quit marijuana through campaigns or special programs by their willing could give benefit to everyone. It sounds like more soft than prohibition of marijuana. We should remind them no one can take control them. As we feel uncomfortable, when other try to control us, they are same.
Loganw45

Pro

Yes it may be healthier for a person to quit smoking marijuana, but does that mean we have to send them to jail to effectively make them quit? I don't think so. Most prisoners in the U.S. are actually more likely to commit a crime after they have been in jail because prisons are cruel and are psychologically damaging to prisoners.

Should we make a guy go to prison for a year for having a few grams of marijuana? I don't think so. Fining a person who is in possession of marijuana is a less serious punishment and spends less tax money than imprisonment. Also these people who are convicted with possession of marijuana will not have to go through the psychological torment that prisons often put inmate through.
oyj5631

Con

As cigarettes remain second-hand smoke, marijuana is same. No matter how there is a safe place to smoke may be no one can ignore a fatal damage to nonsmoker. If marijuana smoker feel depression in prison, how about nonsmoker who even don't know they are breathing marijuana? Prison can suggest various and right ways and tax for it is better than health, physical damage that no one know the process.
Loganw45

Pro

The fact is that marijuana has not been proven to cause harm to a persons body and even if it was proven, people should not be sent to jail for possessing marijuana.

This debate is not about the health effects of marijuana, but if someone should go to jail for possession of marijuana, but I will still comment on my opponents opinion. You will not go to jail for possessing cigarettes, so why go to jail for possessing marijuana? You can easily argue that cigarettes are more damaging than marijuana.
oyj5631

Con

Marijuana contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. People don't go to jail for possessing cigarettes but people are fined for smoking cigarettes, if they smoke in public. US today, there are a few places that allowed smoking.
Now, we know marijuana is more dangerous to health than cigarette, and people are fined for cigarette. As everyone knows about how harmful second-hand smoke is, time for possessing marijuana is for US citizens' health.
Posted by oyj5631 2 years ago
oyj5631
Not at all. Actually that's true that I didn't stay on topic at the front part of debate. I just misunderstood the topic as an allowance of having marijuana in prison, but at the last part of it, after I noticed real topic, I did.
Posted by Loganw45 2 years ago
Loganw45
I would just like to add that my opponent didn't stay on the topic of this debate at all
Posted by Minnesota55901 2 years ago
Minnesota55901
It is not common for people to go to prison for marijuana. Those that go to prison are in for distribution of large amounts.
Posted by jdean1 2 years ago
jdean1
Are we debating based on current laws or changing the law?