Dumy15
KatDoesGoPro

Should there be private schools?

KatDoesGoPro

Dumy15

Con

Private schools actually don't improve your childs education, if you send your kid to a public school they will learn the same thing just as fast.
KatDoesGoPro

Pro

Don't get me wrong, Public school have many advantages that Private schools don't have. And you are right when you say that people in private schools learn the same thing as those in public. But I firmly believe that Private Education should be allowed for the following reasons:

1. Small Classes

The main reason many parents begin to consider a private high school is because the classes are small. Teacher to student ratios are typically 1:8. Class sizes are 10-15 students. Why are small class sizes and low student to teacher ratios important? Because they mean that your child will not get lost in the shuffle. Your child will get the personal attention she needs and craves. Most public schools have classes numbering 25 students or more.

2. Highly qualified teachers

Private high school teachers usually have a first degree in their subject. A high percentage - 70-80% - will also have a masters degree and/or a terminal degree. When a private school dean of faculty and head of school hire teachers, they look for competence in and passion for the subject a candidate will teach.

3. Superb Facilities

Libraries, which are now called media centers, are a focal point of the very best private high schools such as Andover, Exeter, St. Paul's and Hotchkiss. Money has never been an object at those and similar older schools when it comes to books and research materials of every conceivable kind. But media or learning centers are also the center piece of just about every private high school, large or small.

4. Focus on Personal Development

While the major focus at most private high schools is getting you ready for college, your personal maturation and development go hand in hand with that academic preparation. That way, hopefully, you emerge from your high school with both a degree and some great purpose for your life and understanding of who you are.

5. It's Cool to be Smart

In a private school it's cool to be smart. That's why you go to private school. In many public schools the kids who want to learn and who are smart are branded as nerds and become the objects of social ridicule. In private school it's cool to be smart. The smarter you are, the more the school will do its best to stretch your intellect to its limits. That's one of the things private schools do rather well.
Dumy15

Con

Well the kids won't be able to have a outside perspective on what other kids are like. In other words they won't be that social.
What they say about it being safer for the kids. Actually it's more dangerous, making it easier for the killer/attacker to do more harm at once.

Also the uniforms that they have are making them look funny, i'm not making fun of them but I've seen kids be bullied for wearing a uniform. In other words they are just making it easier for the kids to be bullied.

The kids that go to private schools aren't any smarter than kids that go to public schools. I'm not saying that rich kids go to private schools but the kids that go there in mostly in america they just happen to be really rich. Going back to the fact about kids being antisocial, if a student there wants to go into a business job then they won't be able to work with other people.
KatDoesGoPro

Pro

"Well the kids won't be able to have a outside perspective on what other kids are like. In other words they won't be that social."

Incorrect. In a public school, you would find people of the same villages of the same nationality. It is different in a private school, where you would find people of different villages and different nationalities. For example, in the private school I am currently attending, more then half of my class are foreigners who are bilingual.

"What they say about it being safer for the kids. Actually it's more dangerous, making it easier for the killer/attacker to do more harm at once"

Reasons for your argument??

"Also the uniforms that they have are making them look funny, i'm not making fun of them but I've seen kids be bullied for wearing a uniform. In other words they are just making it easier for the kids to be bullied."

If everyone in the school is wearing the same thing, how on Earth are they going to bully each other for "looking funny"? If anything, uniforms decrease bullying, and not increase it.

"The kids that go to private schools aren't any smarter than kids that go to public schools. I'm not saying that rich kids go to private schools but the kids that go there in mostly in america they just happen to be really rich. Going back to the fact about kids being antisocial, if a student there wants to go into a business job then they won't be able to work with other people."

I never said that kids in private schools are smarter then those in public? Also, your argument of being anti-social is invalid due to my original argument, which was:

"Incorrect. In a public school, you would find people of the same villages of the same nationality. It is different in a private school, where you would find people of different villages and different nationalities. For example, in the private school I am currently attending, more then half of my class are foreigners who are bilingual."
Dumy15

Con

What I mean is when a kid goes out some where or another kid from a public school walks by then they are vunerable.

If a killer were to get into the private school undetected, then right there all the children there are in serious danger.
1) When a school goes into lock down, they lock all classroom doors and well windows if they can be opened.
2) After a killer/attacker is inside they are capable of doing more, they could have firearms or other... potentially doing more harm to object protecting the kids from him/her. Yes, when the police arrive they are more likely to find the killer/attacker, but if the man wants to take a kid it would be easier for him to succeed.

Also if you are attending a private school then you of course are going to like it better, have you ever been to a public school?
A private school can have multiple forheign people but a public school you are allowed to speak freely and be able to wear what you want. Having to wear a uniform everyday can be irritating. Also not being able to wear what you and just wearing what they want you to wear makes you not like other people.
KatDoesGoPro

Pro

"What I mean is when a kid goes out some where or another kid from a public school walks by then they are vunerable."

This scenario is a possible one, however, it does not change the fact that uniforms reduce bullying. Studies have shown that in public schools, more people are likely to be bullied because of the clothes they wear.

I'm not trying to say that uniforms get rid of bullying completely. But they definitely reduce it.

"If a killer were to get into the private school undetected, then right there all the children there are in serious danger.
2) After a killer/attacker is inside they are capable of doing more, they could have firearms or other... potentially doing more harm to object protecting the kids from him/her. Yes, when the police arrive they are more likely to find the killer/attacker, but if the man wants to take a kid it would be easier for him to succeed."

How is this any different to Public schools??

"Also if you are attending a private school then you of course are going to like it better, have you ever been to a public school?"

Please stay on topic. The title of this debate is "Should there be Private Schools?" and not "Are Private schools better then public?". I'm not trying to convince anyone that Private is better. I'm trying to convince you that Private education should be allowed.

"A private school can have multiple forheign people but a public school you are allowed to speak freely and be able to wear what you want. Having to wear a uniform everyday can be irritating. Also not being able to wear what you and just wearing what they want you to wear makes you not like other people."

Since when can people in Private schools not speak freely? Where is your evidence for that? For your information, most Private schools have student councils, just like most Public schools do. Also, with my school in particular, each Thursday, a class of students get to speak in assembly about a particular topic of their choice. By the end of the year, every class would have had at least one assembly of there own. That seems like free speech to me.

Also, regarding your point about uniforms, letting kids wear whatever they want would end up in school becoming a fashion show, which is not what it is.

You also said that uniforms make you "not like other people". Ummm? Since when does your character rely on the clothes you wear. There are many other ways to express yourself rather then clothes. Private schools also have many events in which you are allowed to wear casual clothes.
Dumy15

Con

In public schools they have the strength in numbers rather than in private schools.

Also at the public school I am attending now they rarely get bullied by what they wear, but wearing the ridicoulous outfit that the private school kids have to wear increase it.

"Since when can people in Private schools not speak freely? Where is your evidence for that? For your information, most Private schools have student councils, just like most Public schools do. Also, with my school in particular, each Thursday, a class of students get to speak in assembly about a particular topic of their choice. By the end of the year, every class would have had at least one assembly of there own. That seems like free speech to me."

You just said that once every Thursday you are allowed to speak in a assemblly. In a public school all we have to do is talk to the office about a topic and then get other people on your side. If your only allowed to speak on a thursday then that's just what I said, adding proof to me.
1) You said that on Thursdays you are allowed to speak freely about any topic of choice yeah? Well what about any other day? What about the students who don't get to speak? What if they have a better/more important topic to talk about?
2) In a public school you can't speak on a in an assembely but all you have to do is mention it to oen staff worker and there ya go, topic solved.

In my school for example, we are allowed to go to extra classes for when we are feeling down. Your also allowed to "WEAR CLOTHES" you want to wear. I'm not talking about how it decreases bullying inside private schools but outside of them.
KatDoesGoPro

Pro

"In public schools they have the strength in numbers rather than in private schools."

?? Numbers in what? Please be more specific

"Also at the public school I am attending now they rarely get bullied by what they wear, but wearing the ridicoulous outfit that the private school kids have to wear increase it."

Ridiculous outfit? You call a plain white shirt, a tie and a jacket "ridiculous"? That's the problem with people from public schools, they will end up suffering when they get a job because they never learnt how to dress properly and smartly. You think that you're gonna walk into an office everyday wearing a t shirt and jeans? You wish.

"You just said that once every Thursday you are allowed to speak in a assemblly. In a public school all we have to do is talk to the office about a topic and then get other people on your side. If your only allowed to speak on a thursday then that's just what I said, adding proof to me.
2) In a public school you can't speak on a in an assembely but all you have to do is mention it to oen staff worker and there ya go, topic solved."

This clearly proves how you did not read my entire argument; private schools have student councils too. We get as much free speech as public schools.

"In my school for example, we are allowed to go to extra classes for when we are feeling down. Your also allowed to "WEAR CLOTHES" you want to wear. I'm not talking about how it decreases bullying inside private schools but outside of them."

Why on Earth would a person be wearing a uniform outside of school?? Maybe to walk home, yes, but I challenge you to provide any evidence of an event in which a guy was beaten up because he was walking home wearing a uniform.

Thank you for this debate.
Posted by Dumy15 1 year ago
Dumy15
Sure
Posted by Robkwoods 1 year ago
Robkwoods
Oh arbiter of education, please tell me more.
Vote Placed by EverlastingMoment 1 year ago
EverlastingMoment
Dumy15KatDoesGoProTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was somewhat weird to read, however, it's my decision that pro won for several reasons. In round one pro had put forward several arguments that con never touched on in round two, con also started sidetracking in the debate, when he brought forth the argument that public schools had the strength of numbers, this never really answered the question as to why we shouldn't have private schools, had con actually linked that argument and elaborated on it a bit more he would have been in a better position that what he is in now. And to add on, a lot of con's arguments were either hypothetical situations, such as the killer example he brought up in round 3, or his own personal experiences in a public school which is simply not reliable enough, however, pro himself never exactly capitalized on this mistake by not properly sourcing his rebuttals, but overall it was pro's undisputed argument in round one that won the debate.