Artemis_Fowl
Mangani

Should there be reservations in exams for the backward class

Con Tied Pro

Artemis_Fowl

Con

This is totally partial for the students of other classes if the backward class students have some seats reserved, why, because THEY JUST BELONG TO A BACKWARD CLASS. is this prudent? well of course not. the BC (backward class) students are capable enough to get admission in any damn college they wish to on their talent. so why are we being partial?
Mangani

Pro

First of all I would like to thank my opponent for presenting this debate.

A little background for those of you who do not know:

In India, the government recognizes different castes of people based on their color, social status, economic situation, and education. Labeled the "depressed classes" by the British, these people are labeled as Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes (both collectively known as the "untouchables"), and Other Backward Classes (OBC or BC). Discrimination in India is so deeply rooted, that there are many safeguards written into the constitution to protect the Depressed Classes.

Specifically to OBC/BC, the constitution reads in Article 340: "The president may by order appoint a commission, consisting of such persons as he thinks, fit to investigate the conditions of socially and educationally backward classes within the territory of India and the difficulties under which they labour and to make recommendations as to the steps that should be taken by the union or any state to remove such difficulties and as to improve ‘their condition and as to the grants that should be made, and the order appointing such commission shall define the procedure to be followed by the commission."

Since 1953, 2,399 backward castes or communities were identified in India, of which 837 had been classified as the "most backward". Because of the traditional caste system in India, these people are often times discriminated against since birth. It is not like in the United States or other developed nations where a poor child is not labeled as "backward", and can accelerate in school, and eventually in the business world. There are no "Oprah Winfrey's", "Jay Z's", or even "Mark Cuban's" in India. Because of their humble beginnings, these people would have been marginalized at birth, and would not have only been not expected to succeed- their success would have been systematically prevented or depressed, unless the belonged to what is called the "Creamy Layer" of the OBC, which is the "upper class" of the OBC which are "wealthier", and more educated, and which cannot benefit from government sponsored educational and benefit programs. An annual gross family income of $5,500 puts OBC classes in the "Creamy Layer".

Now that I have thoroughly disgusted you with the primitive caste system of India, I will counter my opponent's arguments. Because his statement was short, there is not much to go on.

1- "This is totally partial for the students of other classes if the backward class students have some seats reserved, why, because THEY JUST BELONG TO A BACKWARD CLASS. is this prudent? well of course not."

-My opponent claims that reserving college seats for OBC students is "not prudent". He also claims that their seats are reserved simply because "THEY JUST BELONG TO A BACKWARD CLASS". I disagree with both statements in that I have already shown that the OBC population is systematically discriminated against. The plain fact that they are labeled "backward" is evidence enough that this is institutionalized discrimination. The term is written into the constitution of the country. Several commissions throughout India's history have been held since the 19th century to adjust the benefits afforded to those they systematically discriminate against. Of course, the best course of action would be to make the discrimination illegal, but that is no the topic of debate. The discrimination is in place. It is institutionalized, and if the little benefits are taken away, the OBC would be much worse off.

Furthermore, my opponent mentions "students of other classes". Because the OBC is part of the overall "Depressed Classes", what "other classes" may he be referring to?

My opponent's opposition is to a 2006 ruling that more seats in colleges would be opened to OBC students. The announcement puts 50% of available seats in colleges up for competition amongst the different classes. This means that the FC would have to secure 72%-78% of the available "open seats" in order to have a population equivalent representation of 36-39%. My contention is that if Indians are so sure of the Forward Class that they would label themselves as such, and they would label others as 'backward', it is only fitting that the FC be made to fight harder for greater representation amongst college students. Indeed, if the premise is that the other classes are backward, uneducated, and poor enough to be systematically discriminated against, the forward classes should be intelligent enough to overcome this small obstacle.

2- "the BC (backward class) students are capable enough to get admission in any damn college they wish to on their talent. so why are we being partial?"

-The government only allows a certain percentage of seats to be reserved for BC students. Even if the Depressed Classes are in the majority, it is the Forward Classes that are doing all the oppressing. It is about time the government either removes the caste system. Because a lack of education by their parents at birth, poverty, and a lack of opportunity is what has kept the Scheduled Classes, Scheduled Tribes, and Other Backward Classes , it is only fair that the government offer more opportunity for them to shed the label of "backward" through access to education.

Is this being partial? The caste system in and of itself is partial to those it puts at the top of the system. This is simply a weak attempt at being fair to those the system has traditionally oppressed. Here is a petition from FC class students opposing the measure. The discrimination is evident in the letter: http://www.petitiononline.com...

In conclusion, India's caste system should end. Until then, their form of "affirmative action" is the only fair solution.
Artemis_Fowl

Con

Artemis_Fowl forfeited this round.
Mangani

Pro

Well, it is difficult for me to make any more arguments as I feel I made my point. I will give my opponent another opportunity to argue this.

Artemis_Fowl

Con

Artemis_Fowl forfeited this round.
Mangani

Pro

Please extend my last arguments. Thank you.
Artemis_Fowl

Con

Artemis_Fowl forfeited this round.
Mangani

Pro

Well... looks like my opponent didn't really think his position was important enough to argue. You know how to vote...
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Dangit, to late
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
I'm thinking about taking this, he has already lost conduct & spelling and grammar.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
What the heck are you talking about?
Posted by Cerebral_Narcissist 7 years ago
Cerebral_Narcissist
Wow... what a funny bit of gibberish!
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Backward Class = Special Ed?
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Yeah, I'm not following the resolution...?
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
I don't understand a word of this. What is a backwards class, and what are we reserving?
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
Artemis_FowlManganiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit, and well-argued by Mangani.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
Artemis_FowlManganiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Clear win for Pro, no actual argument simply assertion made by Con.
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
Artemis_FowlManganiTied
Vote Placed by Mangani 7 years ago
Mangani
Artemis_FowlManganiTied