TheAverageJoe71
Alexia_Francesconi

Should they be allowed to hold you in jail until your court date?

Alexia_Francesconi

TheAverageJoe71

Con

They say that you are innocent until proven guilty. However, they are still allowed to hold you in jail until your court date even if they have not proven you guilty in the court of law. By imprisoning you until your court date when they do not know 100% that you are guilty, they are violating the innocent until proven guilty right in the constitution. At least in my opinion.
Alexia_Francesconi

Pro

First off, thanks for this oppertunity.
I hope that I'll be a worthy debating partner.

Here are some reasons for why an alleged assaulter (or whatever it may be) should be kept in custody until their court date:
- The individual has previous convictions for similar offences.
- There is reason to believe that the individual may fail to turn up at the trial.
- There is reason to believe that the individual may interfere with witnesses.
- There are reasonable grounds to believe an individual would commit further offences before their trial.

Looking forward to your reply.
TheAverageJoe71

Con

TheAverageJoe71 forfeited this round.
Alexia_Francesconi

Pro

I'm not sure if you forfeited on purpose - I have that affect on people *hair flick* - but here's my proper argument anyway.

Last round I talked about some reasons for why an alleged assaulter (or whatever it may be) should be kept in custody until their court date. The first reason, previous convictions, is affirmed because releasing such a citizen is a threat to the public. E.g., if the person in question was convicted for manslaughter, realeasing them from custody would be unwise as they may then go kill another guy... for example.

The aforementioned 'reason to believe the individual may not turn up in court' speaks for itself basically. They may just avoid the court date altogether - and we don't want that.

The next reason, 'reason to believe that the individual may interfere with witnesses' is a biggy as well. If the convicted individual 'interferes' (i.e. meets, threatens, kills etc.) the witnesses there may be a chance of no ground for the trial - that's not something the detectives want, so they keep the individual as a way of knowing that all the witnesses are safe (hopefully, if not 'interfered with' by someone else...)

Finally, again going back to the whole murder and murky business theme, the fourth reason is: 'there are reasonable grounds to believe an individual would commit further offences before their trial' - again, speaking for itself.

I stand by these reasons.
Please try to reply this time.

Thus I affirm my argument.
TheAverageJoe71

Con

TheAverageJoe71 forfeited this round.
Alexia_Francesconi

Pro

Still too chicken to reply?
Well, I still stick to my assertions and as there is no material to rebut against: I guess I don't have to.

Also, forfeiting = you surrender = I win

Thanks for the oppertunity =)
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
TheAverageJoe71Alexia_FrancesconiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture