I-am-L
Diqiucun_Cunmin

Should they encourage kids in school that everyone is a winner?

Diqiucun_Cunmin

I-am-L

Con

Should adults encourage their kids that everyone is a winner? Learning to fail is something that all children to know, so later on they can learn from their mistakes. They shouldn't be rewarded with participation if they did something wrong. I am against the "everyone is a winner" aspect. What about you? Let the debate begin!
Diqiucun_Cunmin

Pro

I thank my opponent for instigating the debate. I accept the debate. As my opponent has not stated the first round is purely for acceptance, I will first explain my own points, and then respond to my opponents'.

1) The 'everyone is a winner' attitude is beneficial to the winners.
If it is enforced upon the children that there are both winners and losers, then the winners will feel superior to the losers. This leads to pride, which is detrimental to the child's personal development. For example, the child may begin to act condescendingly towards children who repeatedly lose, or the child may become over-confident in their abilities. 'The superior man has a dignified ease without pride. The mean man has pride without a dignified ease.' (Analects 13.26)

Conversely, if the children are told that there are no winners or losers, then the childrens' egos will not expand as a result of the competition or contest.

2) The 'everyone is a winner' attitude is beneficial to the 'losers'.
Psychologically, if the idea of 'losing' is enforced upon the children, the losers may feel inferior to the winners. This will lower their self-esteem and thus their confidence. Moreover, if they feel that their opponent used unfair tactics to gain victory, they may feel hatred towards the winners or even bear a grudge. If they feel that the responsibility of their defeat fell on a certain teammate, they may begin to feel rancour towards that teammate for leading to their defeat.

Conversely, if the children are told that there are no winners of losers, they will feel equal to the winners still. Their self-esteem and confidence will not be as affected. As they are still rewarded for participation, they will not put too much weight on the result of the contest, and instead value the process. Thus they will not feel hatred towards others because of their failure.

3) The 'everyone is a winner' attitude is beneficial to the relationship between the two parties, and the overall atmosphere of the contest/competition.
'The student of virtue has no contentions. If it be said he cannot avoid them, shall this be in archery? But he bows complaisantly to his competitors; thus he ascends the hall, descends, and exacts the forfeit of drinking. In his contention, he is still the Junzi (superior man).' (Analects 3.7) As we can see from this quote, contentions between superior men should follow certain manners. These manners keep the competitors from viewing each other as adversaries or opponents, and instead as friends. In other words, there are no winners or losers.

Rebuttals:
1) Learning to fail is something all children ought to know so that they can later learn from their mistakes.
In fact, to encourage children to learn from their mistakes, it is necessary not to enforce the concept of 'loser' on them. If they consider themselves 'losers', they will feel unhappy with the result of the competition, and they will feel inferior to the losers. Therefore, their emotions will not allow them to look at the contest in a rational manner. Conversely, if 'everyone is a winner', they will not be blinded by these emotions, and they can examine their mistakes rationally to do better next time.

Shang Yang said, 'The army of a real king does not boast of victory, nor does it harbour rancour for defeat. That it does not boast of victory is because it ascribes it to its clever tactics; that it does not harbour rancour for defeat is because it knows why it has failed.' (Shangzi 10.2) If children are told that they are losers, they may 'harbour rancour for defeat', towards themselves, their teammates or their opponents. Thus they cannot examine their mistakes to know why they failed. On the contrary, if they are told that they are also winners, they will be able to know why they failed and thus gain experience.

2) Participation should not be rewarded if they did something wrong.
It takes courage to participate, and courage should be rewarded. If they did something wrong, and it is not caused by their own doing, it is imperative to reward them lest they be discouraged by their failure.

Moreover, rewarding only the winners will teach the children to give more attention to the result of the contest, rather than the process and the experience they gain, the friendships they build and enforce, etc.
I-am-L

Con

I-am-L forfeited this round.
Diqiucun_Cunmin

Pro

Since my opponent forfeited, I shall post nothing this round.
I-am-L

Con

I-am-L forfeited this round.
Diqiucun_Cunmin

Pro

I'll post this last round... Vote Pro!
Posted by Butter 2 years ago
Butter
No, because who would be the losers?!?!?! People like you make me want to Sh*t a brick!
Vote Placed by Dennybug 2 years ago
Dennybug
I-am-LDiqiucun_CunminTied