Bork
SJM

Should transgender people be allowed into positions of power? (Politician, Teacher, Police Officer)

SJM has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Bork

Con

Transgender people should not be left in a position of power of any kind whatsoever. It's the exact same thing as letting a person with clinical depression have access to an arsenal of weapons. They are mentally ill people. If you disagree, please state your reasoning.
SJM

Pro

Resolution: Should transgender people be allowed into positions of power? (Politician, Teacher, Police Officer)

Let's start with some clarification on the key terms.

Transgender- of, relating to, or being a person whose gender identity differs from the sex the person had or was identified as having at birth; especially : of, relating to, or being a person whose gender identity is opposite the sex the person had or was identified as having at birth

https://www.merriam-webster.com...

Power- : ability to act or produce an effect

https://www.merriam-webster.com...

Automatically prefer my definition over my opponent's since they did not provide any.

Rebuttal

First, my opponent only does two things.

1) He gives an analogy without giving an analysis, thus an empty statement. Analogies do not equal arguments so you can just disregard the analogy.

2) My opponent states transgenders are mentally ill, but provides no warrant on how this is true, therefore an empty claim. He also does not provide any consequences of letting mentally ill people in positions of power, thus we don't know how this argument actually matters.

Therefore my opponent's whole case is non existent.

On to my case.

Contention 1: We need educators and officers

The opposition is advocating for the removal of transgender educators and officers which would in the end make us less safe and less educated. This is true because in the resolution it states "Should transgender people be allowed into positions of power? (Politician, Teacher, Police Officer)" in which con is against.

Evidence of shortages

Teacher shortage
https://www.washingtonpost.com...

"Enrollment in teacher-preparation programs dropped from 691,000 in 2009 to 451,000 in 2014, a 35 percent decline, according to the study, "A Coming Crisis in Teaching? Teacher Supply, Demand and Shortages in the U.S."

Cop shortage
http://abcnews.go.com...

"A decade ago, there were 3,000 applicants for 10 openings with the Seattle police, the department says. Now there are 1,000 applicants for 70 positions " a drop of more than 90 percent."
Bork

Con

I apologize for not giving a clear enough statement or introduction argument for this debate. I am very new to this website and so far it seems as though everyone has been doing the same layout.

As for the definition that was meant (which was completely my fault), I did not mean the textbook definition of transgenders. Instead, I meant a male or female that is now the opposite gender through a sex change. To give an example: A man who has transitioned into being a female decides he/she wants to be a police officer (or any other example of positions of power I gave), should they be allowed to do so?

Now, on to my case/argument. Which is now existent ;)

Transgender people (by that I mean my example, since I will be referring to that for the rest of the debate) should not be allowed into these sorts of positions due to the ever increasing mental health issues as a community and individuals.

"A study from Boston published earlier this year in the Journal of Adolescent Health, reported that 180 transsexual youth (106 female-to-male; 74 male-to-female) had a two-fold to three-fold increased risk of psychiatric disorders, including depression, anxiety disorder, suicidal ideation, suicide attempt, self-harm without lethal intent, and both inpatient and outpatient mental health treatment compared to a control group of youth."

Now, of course, this may not seem so staggering as it does not relate to adults, thus not relating to the debate. But how come such a large percentage of a group that (according to my opponent) should be in power have such a large chance of suicide, depression, anxiety disorder and more. That puts a high risk for people who are under the power of these people. If that's not enough, then here is this bit of info:

"The prevalence of suicide attempts among respondents to the National Transgender Discrimination Survey (NTDS), conducted by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and National Center for Transgender Equality, is 41 percent, which vastly exceeds the 4.6 percent of the overall U.S. population who report a lifetime suicide attempt, and is also higher than the 10-20 percent of lesbian, gay and bisexual adults who report ever attempting suicide."

This is clearly something that should conflict with people of this community being in positions where they help youth, help the community, and most importantly help the innocent from attackers or themselves. How is a transgender person supposed to do these things when they can't even protect themselves? The truth is; they can't. If they want to be in high positions of power they should make these numbers significantly drop before doing so.

SOURCE(S):
https://www.mercatornet.com...
Posted by Backwards_Bishop 1 year ago
Backwards_Bishop
@TimWagnes
No, the suicide rate is not because of discrimination. Depression, sure. Discrimination, no.
Caitlyn Jenner got a boob job and won a courage award, man. There are people who go to war, lose limbs and come back home... Now on TV they see a delusional dude who got a boob job be rewarded for "courageous acts."
Furthermore, the only time suicide rates have been this high were Jews under Austrian and German rule in WWII. We're not treating these people like Jews in WWII, obviously. This means something else is the problem. The first thing that any reasonable person would look at is the way their illness is being treated. Letting these people mutilate themselves because of their delusions isn't helpful, and having people indulge in their delusions doesn't help them either. Might as well tell a schizophrenic that the radio is talking to them.
Posted by TimWagnes 1 year ago
TimWagnes
First, saying that the suicide rates are higher for transgenders are because of the discrimination and depression they receive in school with the added tension of being a teenager. Second, your journal of adolescent Health is invalid as it was posted from 2002 to 2011. To see if you were right, I found a new version from 2016 which did state your point, but the mental issues were of suicide and depression, which happens to teens facing problems. But, it may be invalid as 33.5% were racial/minorities which might be the contributing cause. In conclusion, mental health issues do affect transgender, but they same is said for others, and they should be respected as real people.