TheNuttyProfessor
Dovahkinn117

Should turbocharged vehicles require a blow off valve to relieve intake pressure?

Started: 10/9/2012 Category: Technology

TheNuttyProfessor

Con

I currently have no position on this topic, I am just trying to figure out what other people think. Some people say that the pressurized air will simply exit back through the turbocharger. Others say that a blow off valve is the only way to go, releasing the pressurized air back into the open and out of the pipe. People say that without the blow off valve the pressurized air will break open the throttle body and thus create a full open throttle scenario, which obviously is very bad. Then again, others say that that won't happen, the air will simply exit back through the turbocharger. Today, almost all, if not all turbocharged vehicles come equipped with a blow off valve on the intake pipe, yet in the 1980's when the turbocharged Buick grand national ruled the car world, it had no problems without running a blow off valve. As you can see there are too sides to this argument, I don't know which side to pick.
Dovahkinn117

Pro

I am taking the pro side if this conflict because I have read a little about turbo charged vehicles, I hope this debate is fun and productive for both sides.
TheNuttyProfessor

Con

How much do you actually know about turbocharged vehicles? I mean no offense and I am not trying to sound rude, but I don't want a persons heresay opinion, I want good reasons. Like I stated, I really don't have much to "debate" I am moreso just trying to gather information at the time being.
Dovahkinn117

Pro

I may not be an expert, but I read about machines and have read about some turbocharged vehicles, it really depends on the power output of the car, the more power, the more likely the intake pressure is to build up in large enough quantities to damage you're vehicle.
TheNuttyProfessor

Con

The amount of power a car makes has nothing to do with the amount of intake pressure that can be created by the turbocharger. The turbocharger is driven by the exiting exhaust gases, so basically if the right size turbo is equipped to any size engine, there could still be a massive amount of psi being created on the intake side. The "Power" really has nothing to do with it. The entire point of a turbocharger is to create free power without draining any power from the engine. Now if we were talking about superchargers power would be into the equation, but we're not.
Dovahkinn117

Pro

I concede on you're point, but I was talking about the chargers power relative to the engines, sorry if I did not make myself clear. If the chargers power is too much for the engine, the intake required to power both the charger's export and the engine may be too much for the intake port, so a blow-off valve may be needed. It really depends on whether you believe the saying "better safe than sorry".
Posted by martianshark 4 years ago
martianshark
As long as it works, there's no reason for there to be a requirement.