Doom-Guy-666-1993
Castaway

Should veterans be given nenefits over anyone else?

Doom-Guy-666-1993 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Doom-Guy-666-1993

Pro

As a veteran I believe so, we put our lives on the line for the folks back home, and as gratitude I think we should receive benefits.
Castaway

Con

First, I'd like to thank my opponent for creating the debate as always and wish him the best of luck.

Sure, veterans should be given benefits. It's our duty as a country to help out and reward veterans for their service and work. I don't think anyone could disagree with that. Where the issue I find arises is with the words "over anyone else".

First, in the US, there is a set of rules the people abide by. To quote the Declaration of Independence, all men are created equal. To take this and say that this no longer applies, and that certain people in certain professions now deserve more benefits and that they are at the top of the line above everyone else for this is quite frankly absurd and if anything, spits on the values that these forces fought for. Fighting for a country's values does not give a person the ability to quash them, and to begin holding these men higher is most definitely against these values.

Secondly, this would disregard all other professions and the sacrifices they make. There are many jobs where people put their lives on the line for the good of society: firefighters and police officers, for instance. Are these professions less deserving of benefits than soldiers? If anything, these groups contribute more to society as a whole in the modern day. To diminish their role and place them behind soldiers would be an insult to these careers and diminish the risk they take and sacrifices they make.
Doom-Guy-666-1993

Pro

I did not word my stances very good, more accurately, children, then active duty officers and firefighter, then veterans, today, I went to a homeless shelter to check on my wife, she works there and I saw a veteran outside in 43 degree weather while there was "refugees" inside just sitting around, so I invited him to our home, he is actually sitting by the fire reading to my son The Grinch, and being part of a tribe, a lot of my needs are met because my time, so why doesn't the government give back to us for throwing our lives away for them?
Castaway

Con

Well at that point, you've pretty much ceded the debate and instead are changing the topic entirely from "Should veterans be given benefits over anyone else?" to "Do veterans deserve fair treatment?" which is entirely different.
Posted by Castaway 1 year ago
Castaway
Yeah, exclusive benefits to veterans. Then he says that these benefits should also be given to kids, police officers and fire officers. Which is a different position.
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
Castaway, Doom-Guy's debate topic: "Should veterans be given benefits over anyone else?" clearly states that the purpose of the debate is to decide whether exclusive benefits that veterans are given are fair.
I don't want to argue, but I think his purpose for the debate was clear from the start, even without him explaining what it was.