kittykk96
MewxVenus

Should victims of extend abuse be allowed to use deadly force.

kittykk96

Pro

I really do believe that if someone was abusing me over and long period of time I would try to kill them to protect my-self.
I know as a fact my appoint can and or will say well you could have left or gone to an authority figure? But if I was scared and could leave to go to an authority figure, How would it be any help to me if they happen to be there or not. As for leaving well what if the abusive figure male or female where to stalk me and if I did call the cops but had no evidence he/she was stalking me would it matter anyway?
I would just be playing along with his/hers game it would be right into it. I call the authority figure and have no proof they call me and liar and they they don't believe me so they the abuser in the case has more power because now I have eliminated the authority figure's trust. So if this said abuser oatcakes me and I kill this abuser all I am doing is defending my own life.
MewxVenus

Con

This resolution is ,in fact, in support of murder. While my opponent argues that this is a matter of "self-defense" this is a ridiculously extreme solution to the problem of abuse. Even if a person were abused, it is rather obvious that they would be sentenced thirty to life by any sensible jury. There is no excuse for murder. While it may be argued that the Death Penalty is murder, this is merely a punishment for severe crimes. Perhaps someone who has abused another human being could be sentenced to death, but it is not the abused person's job to take justice into their own hands.

Also, my opponent claims that fear is a factor in why she wouldn't tell an authority figure. Well, it takes quite a bit of adrenaline and fearlessness to commit a murder, which is exactly what killing another person, even in self defense, is.

All my opponents arguments are based off of hypothetical instances "Well if the abuser says this, and I say this, then this will happen and they wont believe me and I'll do this...yadda yadda yadda." On top of this, they are illogical arguments. When this kind of matter is taken to the proper authorities, it is not ignored. If you run, and they stalk you, stay close to people AT ALL TIMES. The pro side's case is rather poorly constructed, especially for such a con traversal topic.

Really, when you get right down to it, the only option is to vote con in this debate, as the pro side supports murder, lack of self control, and injustice.

kittykk96

Pro

Well yes murder is wrong, but let's say your sister is being abused by her spouse? Are you telling that you would tell her not to defend herself?
Let me also pont out that some males/females whom are abusing there spouse will beat in to there mind they are useless and no one will belive them why even try? One one is going to belive you over me. With some cases even the victem is so controlled that she/he has no power at all no actes to leave the home or place where the abuse is taking place and, If he/she has no possibel use of a phone? If you are telling me that if I kill him/her that I am in the wrong for defending my own life? I must say that is rather over the edge.
MewxVenus

Con

My opponent is seeing the radical as the only option available to victims of abuse. Yes, every human being has a right to self defense. However, this does not give every human a right to take another human's life. Yes, many victims of abuse feel worthless. And of course they will not always have access to a phone. However, the idea that taking someones life to defend your own is right is selfish and illogical. If anything is over the edge, it is trying to justify one murder because it will prevent another.
kittykk96

Pro

Ok my opponent proceeds to go back to murder over and over again but what my opponent is not saying is the fact that most abuse victims lives are put in to danger every time they are attacked, it is unfair for my opponent to say well murder is wrong when the victim's life is also in danger. I would also like to point out that most of the time when the victim murders the attacker it is often self defence. There life was so in so much danger that the victim lose all train of thought and dose what she/he feels is needed to save there own life and possibely others.
MewxVenus

Con

My opponent continues to try and make this point of murder look irrelevant, even though she is trying to legalize murder by upholding this resolution.

So let's look at what happens to this murderer after they kill their abuser. They live the rest of their lives in prison. And while I clearly understand that this resolution is trying to legalize the use of deadly force on an abuser, there is not enough detail presented in her plan to have this pass in any court. Therefore, this simply cannot pass.

Murder is murder, whether or not it is done in self-defense. The victim, if being abused over a long period of time, is still alive, then their life isn't in as much danger as one might think. It is very simple to get help when not caught in the middle of an attack. My opponent is not giving humanity due credit by claiming that most abused women won't go for help. After the first few times of abuse, or even the very first time, one can go get help. And most do. So both murders are prevented because of the use of common sense. If the argument is "They should murder the abuser before the abuser murders them" then this is an impossible problem to solve because either way someone dies. This is not an impossible problem to solve. But it's not, because there is always help. If you can't tell someone you love, tell the police.

In the situations presented here, there is always an alternative to blood-shed.

Since my case has been based on strong logic, I do urge those of you voting to vote for the con side of this resolution.

Thank you for a unique, interesting round.
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
I feel inclined to vote PRO since I like her picture better, but we'll see. :D
Posted by purplemustard03 8 years ago
purplemustard03
I came into this pro but I think I might have to switch to the other side...

I think deadly force can be used when you're in a specific situation where you cannot get away or defend yourself adequately. I do not think you can just let it fester and then suddenly decide you're going to kill someone without a life threatening situation. While our justice system may not always be correct, we are still a democracy and we put those people in office to protect us. They have to make the unbiased decision and we should not take it into our own hands.
Posted by HeedMyFeed 8 years ago
HeedMyFeed
There is in fact a mental defense called battered wife syndrome.
Posted by MewxVenus 8 years ago
MewxVenus
Why thank you. :)
Posted by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
That was an extremely well thought-out argument mewx.
Vote Placed by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
kittykk96MewxVenusTied
Vote Placed by bobby123 8 years ago
bobby123
kittykk96MewxVenusTied
Vote Placed by hannahbannana 8 years ago
hannahbannana
kittykk96MewxVenusTied
Vote Placed by EugeneZ 8 years ago
EugeneZ
kittykk96MewxVenusTied
Vote Placed by jimjamesalex 8 years ago
jimjamesalex
kittykk96MewxVenusTied
Vote Placed by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
kittykk96MewxVenusTied
Vote Placed by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
kittykk96MewxVenusTied
Vote Placed by MewxVenus 8 years ago
MewxVenus
kittykk96MewxVenusTied