HeavenlyPanda
missbailey8

Should video games be a sport?

missbailey8 has forfeited round #3.

HeavenlyPanda

Con

No I do not think video games should be a sport. Considering that video games involve sitting on your butt and looking at a screen, how is that a sport? Lazy people who don't want to actually put in the work to do a real sport but still want to claim that they play a sport advocate that video games should be a sport. Prove me wrong.
Round 1-accept/first point
Round 2-debate
"
"
"
missbailey8

Pro

I accept this debate and I'll be arguing that video games should be considered a sport. I look forward to my opponent's arguments.
HeavenlyPanda

Con

Gaming is NOT a sport. Are you seriously saying that a gamer who sits in front of a tv only moving his fingers is the same as Usain Bolt sprinting? I am actually offended that people would consider gaming a sport. Gaming is NOT a sport people, that's why they created Madden 16 and Fifa. For all those who are too lazy to actually exert their body to actually play a REAL sport. For all those who say that it is a sport, how come playing Madden 16 doesn't make you to par with a NFL football coach. Oh wait, because all you're are really doing is clicking buttons on a screen. You're not actually memorizing plays nor are you up at five in the morning screaming at your team to train and do better. For those who say that gaming is a skill, how come you aren't recognized like Yo Yo Ma or Adele. That's because nobody else but gamers think that gaming is a sport. Are you seriously saying that your hand eye coordination is as good as an expert pianist. You may be able to click buttons placed conveniently for your fingers but if you were given a piano and asked to play a Suite or a Sonata I doubt you could do it. Unlike if you placed an expert pianist in front of an X-box console, he/she would be able to learn how to use the x-box in less than an hour. Gaming has absolutely zero skill. Those who say that gaming is a sport are just wannabes who don't want to take time to actually learn a real sport.
missbailey8

Pro

To clarify, here's the definition of a sport.

Sport - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. [1]

I'll explain why gaming can fit into all of these requirements for it to be a sport.

I. Physical Exertion and Skill

Why one can argue that gaming can't be considered a sport due to how little physical activity it contains, there are plenty of other sports that fall under this to. For example, poker, chess, golf, bowling, and pool are considered sports despite not being as physically demanding as say, football, basketball, or baseball. In other words, this can be pretty lenient.

As for skill, those who play video games have numerous benefits such as increased multi-tasking, increased mental flexibility, reduced impulsivity, and improved spatial attention. [2] These can fall under the definition of skill.

Skill - the ability to do something well; expertise. [3]

II. Individual or Team Compete for Entertainment

This one is very simple, considering that both "traditional" sports and gaming have the same ways of competing for entertainment; television. First, I'll look at the competition part, then the entertainment part.

In terms of competition, "traditional" sports have individual competitions such as single tennis, boxing, other martial arts like Karate or Kenpo, swimming, gymnastics, etc. Team sports can include soccer, American football, basketball, baseball, etc.

In gaming, we see something similar. For individual gaming, 1 v 1 League of Legends, Mortal Kombat, Super Smash Bros., etc. Team gaming can be with games such as League of Legends, Dota 2, Smite, Heroes of the Storm, etc.

As for entertainment, both can involve television or seeing it live in real life. Both "traditional" sports and gaming have popular platforms for broadcasting television. For "traditional" sports it's channels like ESPN and for gaming it's eSports. As for seeing them live, "traditional" sports have made people fill arenas. The same goes for gaming, which has literally filled 12 stadiums for one particular tournament. [4]

With this, we can say that professional gaming should be considered a sport. Thank you. So long and goodnight.

Citations
[1]http://tinyurl.com...
[2]https://www.psychologytoday.com...
[3]https://www.google.com...
[4]http://www.marketwatch.com...
HeavenlyPanda

Con

My opponent first states that chess, pool and poker are a sport without doing any research. Let me give you the definition of a game. "a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck." [1] You see here that poker, chess and pool are games, not a sport. As to bowling, bowling includes trying to bowl a 10-16 pound ball to knock over pins. That uses physical exertion considering how fast you have to launch the ball. As for golf, golf used your whole body to hit a considerable light ball very far. There is 18 holes to a golf course. Golf is more physically exerting than moving your fingers am I right?

Considering that video games have very little movement, how can they be physically exerting? To play a video game you use your pointer fingers or thumbs. That is all you have to move. Is that physically exerting? No. There is a very serious lack of physical activity in video games. In fact studies have shown that inactivity is bad for you. [2] [3] Considering that video games are usually involve not moving, they aren't really fit to be a sport. Sports video games are perfect proof as to why video games shouldn't be a sport. Sports video games are the lazy version of real sports. They are for people who don't actually want to get up off of their butts to play a sport but still want to feel like their playing one. Moving your fingers is not physically exerting and I think we can all agree on that. And that's the thing, physical exertion is what sets sports aside from a game. Sports can be a game but they are also a sport. Video games are a game but they do not fit the criteria to be a sport.

As for skill, video games may developer skills, but is it enough to qualify? Skill can be split into physical and mental skills. Every skill my opponent has listed is a mental skill. Is there a physical skill that video games develop? Strength is a physical skill and many sports if not all have strength in it. Sports do involve both physical and mental skills yet video games lack the physical aspects. Until my opponent proves that there is a physical skill in video games, they only have half the skill required.

Competition and entertainment can be seen in professional gaming. Not so much in just gaming which is what we are talking about. It is entertaining but the competition is not on the level that it is a pre-organized event.

Therefore, based on those four criteria, gaming is only 2/4 qualified to be a sport.

Also there has to be a line drawn between what can be a sport and what cannot be. We all know that piano isn't a sport yet it does fit the criteria. Even more so than video games. Piano is more skilled, more physically exerting and more competitive than video games (maybe not as entertaining. Yet that's subjective.) So why isn't piano clamouring to be a sport? (Aside from sophistication) piano does not have enough physical exertion. You see what I'm saying? Writing could qualify to be a sport. Monopoly could qualify to be a sport. The line has to be drawn and video games don't cut it.

[1] https://www.google.ca...
[2] http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org...
[3] http://www.m.webmd.com...