HeavenlyPanda
aravind-Suresh

Should video games be a sport?

aravind-Suresh has forfeited round #1.

HeavenlyPanda

Con

This will be a debate on whether you think video games should be a sport.
Round 1- first point/accept
Round 2- debate
Round 3-debate

I do not think video games should be a sport because they do not fit the criteria to be one. The definition of sport is "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:" [1] Sports require physical exertion, skill, competition and entertainment. Is there anything physically exerting about video games? No, video games are just sitting on your butt watching a screen. Do you count watching TV as a sport? Then why do people count video games as a sport. The skill in video games is quite miniscule also. So video games lack a main component of sports and that's physical exertion.

[1] http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
Posted by HeavenlyPanda 4 months ago
HeavenlyPanda
I don't really get your first paragraph. You state that if you find one thing wrong with my argument then the debate is over. That's like stating that gymnastics is not a sport. Then stating that's because they are judged by judges in competition. Then stating you automatically win because of that. Which is obviously not true since we all know that gymnastics is a sport.

Then you spend a whole paragraph trying to convince me that waving your hand is a sport. There is nothing competitive about waving your hand. Not does it keep you fit. Wii consists of waving your hand and minimal movement. That does not keep you fit. Either I am talking to a person who doesn't know how to stay fit or I'm talking to a fat person. You continuously say "in some cases" when you talk about Wii keeping you fit. Wii isn't in the "some cases". Waving your hand does not keep you fit. I seriously hope you realize that b

As for skill, I will put my example into fractions because you obviously don't get it. Skill is 1/1. Now skill is split into mental skill 1/2 and physical skill 1/2. Video games lack physical skill an they lack pretty much most of mental skill. Maybe about 1/4 of mental skill. Therefore video games have 1/4 of the skill needed to be a sport. Skill is 1/1. Does 1/4 match up to 1/1? No. Therefore skill is lacking in video games.

Then you completely dodge me pointing out that Xbox, PS4 and PC games lack physical exertion. You do know what these are right? Because you've been dodging it for the past three of my posts. Therefore I assume you have conceded that these video games lack physical exertion. As for proving on falsehood, its actually if I prove one falsehood, not you. And I have proved a falsehood. Therefore I had already won unless you can prove that inactivity is good for you.
Posted by SJM 4 months ago
SJM
The debate says if video games should be a sport, if I have proved one falsehood to your argument, then your whole thing is disproved. Therefore as long as I have one example, your argument that video games shouldn't considered a sport, is negated.

"All you're doing is staring at a screen moving your fingers. That does not keep you fit."- I'm talking to a wall. I would say waving your hands could be considered a sport soo good luck with your arguments. And again I'll repeat myself, wii is not just moving our hands, I provided a video, the person in the video did not really move that much, but the movement he made is enough to make someone fit. And you make the dumb comparison since waving your hands is not a sport, so isn't wii, but the thing is that wii sports could be competitive such as the tennis mode, now if you say waving your hands could be competitive somehow, then I would say it could be a sport.

"As for skill, skill is split into mental and physical skills. Sports have both whereas video games lack physical skill and they lack most of the mental skill too."- You already conceded that it has mental skill, even if it's minimal, therefore it fits the criteria of mental skill. Now not only is physical skill an opinion, but it's not included in the definition. The definition says physical exertion and any skill whether mental or physical.

And do you know how debates work? You don't just keep constructing your arguments, you have to be a time down, as in refute my specific arguments which you have yet to do which is what I outlined. For example, "Wii fit is not just that and I have explained that already, and moving your fingers actually can keep you fit. The definition of fit is "in good health, especially because of regular physical exercise.", and "good" health is also an opinion. Therefore there are some cases in which it could keep someone fit. "
Posted by HeavenlyPanda 4 months ago
HeavenlyPanda
You continually ignore the fact that you're leaving out practically 99% of video games. Wii is not the only gaming console and so far xbox one does not have any physical exertion. All you're doing is staring at a screen moving your fingers. That does not keep you fit. The same is with PS4 and PC games. I will repeat myself, Wii fit requires minimal movement, Wii is practically waving your hand. Considering you didn't respond to my points about waving your hand is not a sport, I guess you conceded that waving your hand isn't a sport. Unless you want to object, I'd like to hear you try to say waving your hand is a sport again. Considering that waving your hand does not keep you fit and not is it competitive we can say that it is not a sport. Same with Wii.
Now for Xbox, PS4 and PC games. You seem to be unaware that there is consoles other than the Wii. You should look them up if you do not know what they are. Xbox, PS4 and PC games lack physical exertion. They do not keep you fit. Moving your fingers does not keep you fit and it does not contribute to your good health. Considering that gamers usually play 22 hours a week, so that's practically a whole day of inactivity. And I have proven that inactivity is as bad as smoking. Therefore video games do not keep you fit and not do they contribute to your good health.
You made a subjective point and I have proved it before.
As for skill, skill is split into mental and physical skills. Sports have both whereas video games lack physical skill and they lack most of the mental skill too. Therefore video games lack more than half the skill required for a sport. Prove me wrong.
Posted by SJM 4 months ago
SJM
Now it should be easier for you to refute
Posted by SJM 4 months ago
SJM
Ok I'm going to make a simple outline for you because you keep on repeating your points without refuting mine.

"Wii is not physical exertion. It does not keep you fit."
-Wii fit is not just that and I have explained that already, and moving your fingers actually can keep you fit. The definition of fit is "in good health, especially because of regular physical exercise.", and "good" health is also an opinion. Therefore there are some cases in which it could keep someone fit.

"it has little to no skill."
- You CONCEDED it has skill, even if it's barely enough.

""My definition of physical exertion works better than yours." Is subjective. Therefore I have proven that you make subjective points. You make subjective points and that is objectively true.
Just admit it since all you're doing is making subjective points. Video games are not a sport."
- DUDE OMG, Saying something subjective is an opinion, saying something that's objectively wrong is what you're doing because the opposite of what your saying would be objectively true. You can claim I'm making subjective points, but that would be objectively true or false, not subjectively.
-Also your argument that something lacks little skill, is subjective, you're a hypocrite. Also I've repeatedly said, that yes something is subjective, but mine has reasons backing it up, you don't. You didn't refute my credibility argument which is valid since for example a phd definition would be more credible coming from a professor than a 2 year old.
Posted by HeavenlyPanda 4 months ago
HeavenlyPanda
Wii is not physical exertion. It does not keep you fit. You saw in the video provided that the person was doing minimal movement. Also you still haven't proved how Xbox one, PS4 and PC games keep you fit. Therefore video games do not have physical exertion.
Then you say that waving your hand is a sport. This is obviously not true considering that just waving your hand does not keep you fit. Far people wave their hands. Does that mean they're working out? No. Also there's no competition, nor is there physical exertion and it has little to no skill.
Physical exercise is "Physical exercise is the performance of some activity in order to develop or maintain physical fitness and overall health." Does inactivity maintain physical fitness and overall health. No, in fact its proven that inactivity is as bad as smoking for you. And considering that Xbox, PS4 and PC games and some Wii games have inactivity, we can say that video games do not maintain physical fitness or overall health. If you think that obese and fat people is good health, you're sorely mistaken.
http://www.m.webmd.com...
You make subjective points. That is objectively true. "My definition of physical exertion works better than yours." Is subjective. Therefore I have proven that you make subjective points. You make subjective points and that is objectively true.
Just admit it since all you're doing is making subjective points. Video games are not a sport.
Posted by SJM 4 months ago
SJM
PC/Console games do not make you fit.- I just explained how it does make you fit, you're literally ignoring what I'm saying.

"Waving your hands is not a sport right?"- Yes this could be considered a sport.

"Wii fit is just waving your hands with the Wii controller. " And you saw the video, why do you keep saying that.

"As I have pointed out, video games are not physically exerting."- You didn't refute my point of how it is

"You did make subjective points and that is objectively true."- No it's not and I explained how it isn't, but you don't specifically refute them, you just keep asserting the same thing.
Posted by HeavenlyPanda 4 months ago
HeavenlyPanda
PC/Console games do not make you fit. Therefore video games as a whole do not fit the criteria to be a sport. Wii fit is just waving your hands with the Wii controller. Waving your hands is not a sport right?
Wii fit is not just moving your fingers but PC/console games are. And movingjust your fingers does not keep you fit.
I'm glad you've conceded to using my definition finally.
As I have pointed out, video games are not physically exerting. Therefore they don't fit the criteria to be a sport.
You did make subjective points and that is objectively true.
Posted by SJM 4 months ago
SJM
OK, since you're really thick, I'll even use your definition against you since it's evident how this encompasses even physical exertion. And yes credibility is subjective, but again like I stated, there are subjective points that are valid if they have reason behind it. Yours don't have reasons behind it which is what I meant. And video games by definition is just "a game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a television screen or other display screen.", therefore wii fit does count as a video game and the movement done in accordance with it, can make someone fit.

"Claiming that I make subjective points is subjective. I too could say that all you do is make subjective points."- Lol you don't understand the concept of subjective. Saying something subjective is an opinion, saying something that's objectively wrong is what you're doing because the opposite of what your saying would be objectively true. You can claim I'm making subjective points, but that would be objectively true or false, not subjectively.

"Does moving your fingers and just your fingers keep you fit?"- Wii fit is not just that and I have explained that already, and moving your fingers actually can keep you fit. The definition of fit is "in good health, especially because of regular physical exercise.", and "good" health is also an opinion. Therefore there are some cases in which it could keep someone fit.
Posted by HeavenlyPanda 4 months ago
HeavenlyPanda
You think your definition is more credible because its what you think. That is subjective. Your definition is flawed because it is defining "exertion", not "physical exertion". Therefore my definition is more credible than yours because it encompasses physical exertion, not just exertion. Like I said before, defining video games as just "games" is much different and very generic (which is what your doing) than defining it as "video games" which is a lot more accurate which is what I'm doing.

Claiming that I make subjective points is subjective. I too could say that all you do is make subjective points.

Does moving your fingers and just your fingers keep you fit? No, that is why America's generation of children are growing up to be obese and fat. It's not the sole reason but it certainly contributes. To you, moving your fingers is exerting. Moving your fingers is not physically exerting.