031504CL
red_x

Should video games be banned?

red_x
Started: 4/1/2016 Category: Games

031504CL

Con

Don't ban their not bad they help you they help with coordination
red_x

Pro

While some video games for small children are educational and help with coordination. Anything past that is almost entirely useless as it creates more couch potatoes. Some video games can help exercise the mind. Example you don't have a partner to play chess so you can just play computer chess. Obesity is becoming more and more of a problem in america because of TV and movies. But video games are a big part of it because; most video games involve sitting, most video games are played for long periods of time, say three to four hours every few days. If parents want their children to be more active, video games need to be taken away right now. TV needs to be limited. Make it so the only time your children watch one movie once a week. Video Games are a big problem with today's obese people.
031504CL

Con

031504CL forfeited this round.
red_x

Pro

Since my opponent has made no current argument my argument still stands.
031504CL

Con

031504CL forfeited this round.
red_x

Pro

My current argument stands.
Posted by red_x 8 months ago
red_x
We get that. I'm just debating con. Calm down. I never said mass shootings were caused by video games.
Posted by WitheredRose 8 months ago
WitheredRose
Since when was a mass shooter inspired by a violent video game? So far in the news I've only heard of shooters motivated by religion, personal problems, and other issues of the sort. I have yet to hear of one inspired to kill people by a video game. On the other hand, I knew a few people who were inspired to join the military because of war games, which is not a bad thing. I have yet to see a problem with any video game at all, its pretty much like a movie except your controlling the character with a controller. Video games are an art, and should not be banned or regulated, it is the parents job to regulate the games for the children, example, the parent shouldn't like a 6 year old play an M rated game with sexual content and drug use.
Posted by red_x 8 months ago
red_x
It's not like I said it would cure obesity i just said it would help.
Posted by Tokano 8 months ago
Tokano
@Red_X Getting up and moving around isn't indicative of being a healthy weight. Until recently, I have lived an almost completely sedentary lifestyle -- I would only get up to go to the bathroom, get food, or go to work. However, I'm dramatically underweight despite shoving my face full of all sorts of unhealthy foods. I'm 5'7" and I only weigh 100lbs.

Moving around burns calories, burning calories doesn't mean anything if you consume more calories than you burn. People burn calories at different speeds based on their weight, metabolism, what types of food they eat, etc...

Video games do not play a part in obesity, individual diet and eating habits play a part in obesity. Choosing to blame it on video games is a scapegoat to try and hide the real issue.
Posted by red_x 8 months ago
red_x
Okay you know what, it is true that video games are not the main cause of obesity but it still plays a part. Parents are letting video games parent their children, so if video games were a little bit more involved than sitting on a couch it would help.
Posted by EmilzIsHere 8 months ago
EmilzIsHere
I fully believe that the atrocious behavior from youth today is the lack of parenting. Bringing obesity into this has nothing to do whatsoever with the video game itself. It has to do with lazy parenting. Nobody wants to send their kids outside because it would mean they would have to watch them. Parents now-a-days think it's easier to stick a controller into their child's hands so they can go do the things they want to do. A video game is meant to be fun, not encourage any sort of violent behavior. When I play a video game, I have never thought to get a gun and shoot people. It never even crossed my mind to do any sort of violent behavior to another human being.
Violence isn't a new thing either. Since the dawn of time, there has been violence. We can't just bring a completely irrelevant thing and label it as the cause for something that has been ongoing for millennia. Going by the logic of video games being the cause of violence, that would mean that martial arts is the reason you beat someone up. Fencing is the reason you stabbed someone. Football is the reason you tackled someone to the ground. Kickboxing is the reason you beat someone up. Archery is the reason you shot at someone. Target practicing is the reason you shot someone. I could go on for a while. That would be like saying that NASCAR is the reason people get speeding tickets. It just doesn't make sense that a video game would entice someone to murder or violence.
Posted by Tokano 8 months ago
Tokano
@Stschiffman I would be glad to debate the subject with you.
Posted by stschiffman 8 months ago
stschiffman
@Tokano

I just challenged you to a debate on the subject. Would you like to accept?
Posted by Tokano 8 months ago
Tokano
I disagree with you wholeheartedly, @Stschiffman.

Violent video games should not be restricted in any way, shape, or form. Video games are an art and thus are protected under the First Amendment. Seeing violent content doesn't make you a violent person; that's like saying seeing a cloud makes you believe you should act like a cloud.
There are millions of people all over the world who play video games everyday and within that group of people there are good people and bad people, just like every community. The people who commit atrocious crimes that blame video games are typically people who are either mentally ill or who are trying to receive a lighter sentence and are using video games as a scapegoat.
If we were to move this into a scientific realm, there have been studies done that prove violent video games aren't indicative of violent behavior; it actually proves that in some cases it actually lowers a persons likelihood to commit a violent act and even works to reduce stress and anxiety.
Posted by stschiffman 8 months ago
stschiffman
I don't believe violent video games should be banned entirely, but I do believe they are very harmful to society. Just look at all the mass shooters who got their inspiration from video games. If you ask me, we should regulate violent video games the same way we regulate drinking and smoking; not acceptable until you're of age, no exceptions. Notice I said VIOLENT video games, I don't think this rule should apply for E-T rated games, M only.
Vote Placed by lord_megatron 6 months ago
lord_megatron
031504CLred_xTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited. Pro argued that video games create "couch potatoes" and helps only in basic co-ordination for small children. Con didn't rebut