Flamer5577
NDECD1441

Should videogames be considered a sport?

Flamer5577 has forfeited round #2.
Started: 4/26/2017 Category: Games
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Flamer5577

Pro

Do you think video games should be considered a sport. As well as I like video games myself, I think it should be considered a sport!
- Gamers work long and hard hours practicing for a tournament
NDECD1441

Con

Thank you for the chance to debate this topic. I am a part of the opposition and will argue that gaming is not a sport. I see you have put down your main point so I will do so as well. My card is that the definition of a sport does not fit with the term video-games. 2nd round: arguments

3rd round: rebutals
Posted by CodRob 1 year ago
CodRob
Chess is a sport. It requires strategy, is played worldwide, and is a competitive game. Those same principals can, and are - applied to video games. In my personal opinion, gaming takes much more mental prowess than say chess. You have to learn how your opponents play, you have to practice, and you have to understand the rules of each game - and how each game works. Unlike other sports, such as football, soccer, basketball, and etc. - gaming is not focused on one specific game. There are hundreds upon hundreds of individual games, all with completely different styles and methods of playing. From FPS' to RTS', both that are almost completely unlike - but they all go under the name of 'gaming'.
Although some may not like it, gaming is now the most popular form of entertainment in the United States, going ahead of the movie and music industry. That's quite a feat to accomplish. The difference between movies, television, and music - is that you aren't experiencing something that someone else is doing, but rather - you are the one interacting in a world where everyone is sharing the same experience with you. If we take all of this in, and add in the facts that there are formal teams, holding formal championships, and with monetary stakes and titles at hand, it would be absurd not to say that video games are a sport. The definition of a sport is An activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc. Notice it isn't a sport only by one part of the definition: physical prowess, but video games require skill and are competitive.