Destinyclifton99
Hematite12

Should violent video games be banned

Destinyclifton99

Pro

Opponent accept my challenge and best to you
Hematite12

Con

Destinyclifton99

Pro

violent video games destroy your body physically and mentally You start to loose understanding of reality and fantasy you become more aggressive and when playing these games you become more tense Kids start to loose understanding of reality and fantasy "murder rates increase yearly "homicide, suicide and murder happen in act of violent video games many people have found it offensive to military soldiers fighting for you while you sit on the couch playing call of duty you think war is just a game but really it's nothing to play with when I talked to my uncle of his opinion he stated those video games were created for military purposes and we use it for training and I do find it offensive to know kids play those games for fun when I half to play them to train for war You find it entertaining to kill and that's why today's society is the way it is today. The more violence your exposed to the more violent you become weather it is playing a video game watching real violence or being violent to others or even having people being violent to you there all the same thing. These violent video games are graphically depicted it includes victims being shot, beaten, to death, decapitated, burned alive and urinated on. These games may also present favourable depictions of prostitution, fascism, misogyny, and drug use. One can see how repeated exposure to violent behavioural scripts can lead to increased feelings of hostility expectation that others will behave aggressively decentralization to the pain of others and increased likelihood of interacting or responding to other who act violently.
Hematite12

Con

I would politely ask my opponent to use proper puncuation, and to separate ideas with blank lines for clarity and ease of reading.

My Basic Argument:

I hold that violent videogames should not be banned.

People should have as many freedoms of theirs as possible preserved, unless they have some clear negative effects, in which case it gets more complicated. But if something does not have clear negative effects, it should be allowed.

I hold that there is no evidence showing that violent videogames have clear negative effects, so they should not be banned. My argument with my opponent should be primarily over whether there is, in fact, any evidence, and my opponent has BoP to show that one of peoples' freedoms should be taken away on the basis of its having grave negative consequences.

My Rebuttal:

First off, my opponent has failed to provide any data of any sort as evidence for his claims. I hold that my opponent cannot win this debate unless they provide evidence in future rounds, since baseless assertions can't be grounds for removing peoples' freedom to do something that doesn't directly affect anyone else.

violent video games destroy your body physically and mentally You start to loose understanding of reality and fantasy you become more aggressive and when playing these games you become more tense Kids start to loose understanding of reality and fantasy

There is no evidence for these claims. Evidence absolutely has to be provided.

Further, while you may argue from data that you provide in future rounds that violent videogames destroy your body mentally, it makes very little sense to say that they destroy your body physically. How does playing a violent videogame specifically damage your body? You might say, it disincentives you from doing things actively with your body and getting exercise. But, banning violent videogames doesn't solve this problem, since people who would've played violent videogames will just play non-violent videogames to substitute, so the exercise argument is moot.

"murder rates increase yearly "homicide, suicide and murder happen in act of violent video games

Evidence absolutely has to be provided to show that "homicide, suicide, and murder happen in act of violent videogames". There is nothing for me to address, it's a baseless assertion.

many people have found it offensive to military soldiers fighting for you while you sit on the couch playing call of duty you think war is just a game but really it's nothing to play with when I talked to my uncle of his opinion he stated those video games were created for military purposes and we use it for training and I do find it offensive to know kids play those games for fun when I half to play them to train for war

Well, Call of Duty was most definitely not created for war haha, but I digress.

Also, your uncle's opinion is not a form of evidence for this debate.

Lastly, things can have multiple purposes. I'm sorry you find it offensive, but manipulating the coloration of pixels on a screen is not exclusive to war training, that is only one purpose of it. If people find it enjoyable, what's the problem?

You find it entertaining to kill and that's why today's society is the way it is today.

Changing the coloration of pixels on a screen has nothing to do with killing. If you think it's killing, maybe you're the one who's perspective is warped by violent videogames (I'm joking lol).

The more violence your exposed to the more violent you become weather it is playing a video game watching real violence or being violent to others or even having people being violent to you there all the same thing. These violent video games are graphically depicted it includes victims being shot, beaten, to death, decapitated, burned alive and urinated on. These games may also present favourable depictions of prostitution, fascism, misogyny, and drug use.

I honestly agree with you to some extent. I'm absolutely disgusted by games like GTA.

But people have the right to create and purchase these things, because they are, well, games. They are not reality. Some of these games are irreverent to actual issues. But people are perfectly able to distinguish what is fantasy from what is reality. As long as these behaviors aren't embraced in real life, you have no right to stop them from playing these sorts of games, barring a very, very few exceptions (like, a game that makes light of the Holocaust).

One can see how repeated exposure to violent behavioural scripts can lead to increased feelings of hostility expectation that others will behave aggressively decentralization to the pain of others and increased likelihood of interacting or responding to other who act violently.

As with the rest of your opening argument, you absolute have to provide evidence, or you have no base upon which to institute a ban.
Destinyclifton99

Pro

Destinyclifton99 forfeited this round.
Hematite12

Con

Hm I hope this debate will be continued.

I extend my arguments!
Destinyclifton99

Pro

Destinyclifton99 forfeited this round.
Hematite12

Con

Hematite12 forfeited this round.
Destinyclifton99

Pro

Destinyclifton99 forfeited this round.
Hematite12

Con

Hematite12 forfeited this round.
Posted by aburk903 2 years ago
aburk903
Could Pro please name the video game in which urinating on opponents is an option? Sounds interesting.
Posted by Hematite12 2 years ago
Hematite12
Charity in all things, my friend :)
Posted by BasicLogic 2 years ago
BasicLogic
I didn't know she was new. Oh well
Anyway, I just saved con 10 mins looking through opinions section. I won't give him fire next time tho
Posted by PeacefulChaos 2 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Let's try to not be so aggressive toward a beginner. Not to mention that you shouldn't be doing Con's job. It really isn't right to post things in the comment that could give arguments to either Pro or Con during the debating period.

It's also clear she's not 16, since she says that she's actually 13 years old in her profile summaries. It's also clear from her picture.
Posted by BasicLogic 2 years ago
BasicLogic
After this, let's debate about roughly the same topic if you are stubborn and want to lose some more
Posted by BasicLogic 2 years ago
BasicLogic
You say murder rates increase yearly, but According to records held by the U.S. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention and Office of Justice Programs, sales of video games have more than quadrupled from 1995-2008, while the arrest rate for juvenile murders fell 71.9% and the arrest rate for all juvenile violent crimes declined 49.3% in this same period.

You say video games were made for the military, according to your uncle. There is no government(Controls the army) made or funded video games. Video games were not created for military use, they were adapted. Your uncle is probably a straw man or has no idea what he is saying.

Unless you have a mental condition or have an IQ less than 55, you can tell the diffrence between fantasy and real life.

If you have good upbringing, the things people do in a fake world won't make you want to do it.

A lot of your evidence is, wait scrap that, you have pretty much no solid evidence.

Also, anything can be addicting. So should we ban everything?

Lastly, you have no periods, making everything just jumbled up garbage. Please fix that, you seem like a little kid
Posted by edibleshrapnel 2 years ago
edibleshrapnel
Pro, ever heard of a coma? Or a period? You're profile does state you as 16 years of age. And all your 'Violence" nonsense has no backed up surveys are psychological evidence. You're just speculating but stating as if your statements were fact.
Posted by Carthage 2 years ago
Carthage
Con, please use proper puncuation. Thank you.